[Q] Can anyone help with getting my tablet to recongize a pc connection?

Search This thread

fsured

Jul 25, 2011
Current info on it - Android 4.1.1 and stock build - epad-10.4.4.23-20121127

I was rooted for about 2 months and had the tracking cilents frozen in titanium. About 2 weeks ago I saw a thread about the update for .23 firmware. I went and unfroze the clients and did a reboot with no problem getting the OTA update and restoring root. Before this I was able to hook up my tablet to a pc and transfer files. I didn't have need to use this function until last night when I discovered that it will no longer recognize being attached to the pc.

Essentially nothing happens. There is no sound and notification icon on the pc that a device was attached. Nothing shows up in device manager. The tablet doesn't show the USB connection icon. To make sure the usb port was good i connected my cell phone to it, bluetooth dongle, and a thumb drive. It works fine. This system runs XP with the drivers previously installed and working. I tried my laptop that runs Vista and worked fine previously when connected. Again I get the same issue. Even their Asus sync software on the pc shows no device attached. Just now I tried hooked up the tablet to my work pc and no change. That makes 3 pc's that I've attempted.

I can only think it was the firmware update. That was the only change I made to the system. Last night I did a factory reset of stock to see if a setting got messed up somewhere but there is still no connection. I probably lost root in that process and since it won't connect to the a pc, I doubt I can get that back. That is the least of my concerns though. I fear that something physical with the connector went bad that tells the OS a pc connection is occurring. Would that even be possible to happen yet work fine for charging the tablet?

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, it is the JB update if your PC is running XP (not sure about Vista, but it's probably the same). You probably noticed that the options for USB connection in JB are limited to Media and Camera? Under JB the tablet sadly does not connect as an external drive to a XP PC anymore.
The Infinity does shows up under Windows 7 as an external device. I looked high and low, but there does not seem to be a fix for XP.
My work-around for anything I do not want in my Dropbox (which is by far the smoothest way to get something from your PC to your tablet) is using Airdroid from the play store. That app uses your WiFi network to transfer files. Works great! And no cables!
Larger files, like movies, I transfer via SD card. Truth be told - I do not really miss the USB connection anymore.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

It's odd that it won't recognise a connection at all. Have you tried reflashing the full stock firmware?

Under JellyBean, XP, Vista, 7 and 8 recognise it as a Portable Media Device. My main PC runs XP SP3, so no, it's not an XP-issue.

With ICS it used to be an external drive, but sadly that ended with JB. (Which is a feature I thoroughly detest on every device including my sgs3, but alas.) Originally they deleted the feature in ICS to begin with, but for some reason it continued to work on some TF700's. Not all of them, though.

I miss UMS.... MTP drives me insane on any device. It keeps whining about literally every file format that it "is not natively compatible with the device [insert 16 more lines of text I have stopped reading because it is actually longer than the dialogue window...]" . Even .jpgs.... Which is ridiculous, as stock gallery recognises .jpgs just fine.

Last edited:

fsured

Jul 25, 2011
I mailed the tablet in for RMA and they, well someone at the center, signed for it on Friday. I tried doing the wipes and even downloaded the firmware from Asus and reinstalled it from the sd card. Nothing happens when it's connected. I got it working originally under XP following a guide somewhere on here. You have to update windows media player or something like that to end the failed driver update error. It will install the MTP support or proper drivers that are not included in XP. But yeah, now in Vista or my XP machines nothing happens and I can only assume it's hardware with the connector not recognizing a pc signal. It was working fine with JB installed before.

When I called into support their answer was RMA anyway. I had already done everything the support person was going to ask; reboot, factory reset, try different pc, make sure the usb ports work. Aside form a little screen bleed the tablet has worked without a problem until this last firmware update. There other ways for getting media to the device and that didn't concern me. It is the inability to connect the device to the pc for actions such as rooting, unlocking, or other similar functions that bother me. I had it rooted (lost now that I kept trying different wipes etc) but feared something going wrong later if I unlocked it and lost warranty. Once warrant is up this device is fair game and going unlocked for sure.

fsured

Jul 25, 2011
In case anyone else encounters the same problem, apparently the connector went bad on the tablet. They replaced the part under warranty. Took about 10 days in total and so far the only issues I see with the tablet is bent metal where the connector and one of the prong holes for the dock is and the screen. I assume the bent metal is from the tools used to pry open the case. The glass over the screen seems mushy and a bit popped up now on the edges. Don't know if that is something I should worry about or just expect since it was opened.

It did come back with 10.4.4.16 firmware. I was real tempted before to unlock and really let the tablet shine but hesitant now. They may not have covered the warranty repair if I did and I don't have another $500 to drop if something else goes bad that isn't minor.

Jan 14, 2013
No pc recgnized

I had this happen a few days ago after rom-ing ..... In win 7......

2 thoughts

1. Check in settings mk sure pc sync / connect to pc is enabled...
2. Install asus sync on ur pc

good luck

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

Here in the usa most states have warranty laws that void their claim that unlocking it voids the warranty...and last year the supreme court ruled that jailbreaking was legal in all 50 states, this claim by asus is clearly seen for what it is....a veiled attempt to not have to honor warranty on zillions of devices...to save their scamming butts alot of money
on std warranty repairs. Its a scam, they know it.....and now u know it....

If u unlock, your state warranty laws will in most cases still enforce your warranty...

If u threaten to file a class action suit agianst them for it, they will back down and honor your warranty....or they loose bigtime......

Asus corporate is not...your friend