Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,205 Members 39,866 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How limited is the HD 8.9?

Tip us?
 
qw3rty3
Old
#11  
Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 60
Join Date: Mar 2009
MX Player constantly closes. It works great on my galaxy nexus but doesn't work on my kindle.

I had to convert movies to mp4 and play them in the native player.
 
O.a.T.
Old
#12  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,851
Posts: 753
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by qw3rty3 View Post
MX Player constantly closes. It works great on my galaxy nexus but doesn't work on my kindle.

I had to convert movies to mp4 and play them in the native player.
I use VLC Player Beta, sideloaded, with great success!
 
sullytrny
Old
#13  
sullytrny's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 29
Posts: 358
Join Date: Dec 2006
Default Re: How limited is the HD 8.9?

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1358907003418.jpg
Views:	1170
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1668472
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1358906990134.jpg
Views:	1078
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1668467

It's a great device,

KFHD 8.9 (root & playstore) - XT912 - HTC Nexus ONE - GT3113 - MID7048
HTC ONE - XT912 - GT3113 - COLBY 3048 - KFHD 8.9 all rooted
 
fBx
Old
#14  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 214
Join Date: Aug 2008
Thinking about an android tablet lately, my brother got a galaxy tab 2 which i like but the display resolution is a bit too low for me. Now the Kindle Fire 8.9 seems quite nice, is it with a bit of android and rooting knowledge possible to make almost anything work like on any other tablet?
 
lp894
Old
#15  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 185
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by fBx View Post
Thinking about an android tablet lately, my brother got a galaxy tab 2 which i like but the display resolution is a bit too low for me. Now the Kindle Fire 8.9 seems quite nice, is it with a bit of android and rooting knowledge possible to make almost anything work like on any other tablet?
I'd say yes...here's what I did:

1 - Rooted my tablet
2 - Installed Gapps(googleservicesframework, accountsandsyncsettings, googleloginservices, play store, gmail, etc)
3 - Installed Market Helper
4 - Installed Titanium Backup(paid version)
5 - Installed launcher I wanted
6 - Uninstalled default launcher plus TONS of other bloatware

It took a little bit of time to do, but it was definitely worth it at the end of the day.

Out of the box(and other ppl may have different experiences) but I was only pulling about 6500 on Antutu, now it's up to 9300 Antutu Benchmark, and 2700 on Quadrant. That's without tweaks installed, just rooted and bloatware removed...and remember this is on ICS 4.0.4...when I was running CM10.1 4.2.2 I was pulling about 10,500 for my Antutu. The N7 being a quad core averages aaround 12,000...I think that's pretty good. Once CM10.1 gets Audio, I COMPLETELY plan on using it as a daily driver. It's just...better. 8.9" screen is the perfect size for me...I love it.
 
twa_priv
Old
#16  
twa_priv's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4,520
Posts: 1,699
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lp894 View Post
Out of the box(and other ppl may have different experiences) but I was only pulling about 6500 on Antutu, now it's up to 9300 Antutu Benchmark, and 2700 on Quadrant. That's without tweaks installed, just rooted and bloatware removed...and remember this is on ICS 4.0.4...when I was running CM10.1 4.2.2 I was pulling about 10,500 for my Antutu. The N7 being a quad core averages aaround 12,000...I think that's pretty good. Once CM10.1 gets Audio, I COMPLETELY plan on using it as a daily driver. It's just...better. 8.9" screen is the perfect size for me...I love it.
Antutu on stock is between 9500 and 9700. Your 6500 must be a typo.
 
lp894
Old
#17  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 185
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by twa_priv View Post
Antutu on stock is between 9500 and 9700. Your 6500 must be a typo.
no sir...6500 out the box. couldn't figure out why either
 
twa_priv
Old
#18  
twa_priv's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4,520
Posts: 1,699
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lp894 View Post
no sir...6500 out the box. couldn't figure out why either
You got 6500 on stock because the antutu version you get from the amazon store is ancient compared to the current one you get from the play store. You need to use the same version to compare scores.
 
lp894
Old
#19  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 185
Join Date: Nov 2007
let me rephrase...stock+root+ apps. first app I downloaded was antutu from the play market. I kid you not, I was pulling 6500...like i said, I'm not sure why. I was only getting around 1600 for processor vs 3200-3500 I get now. Almost as if one of the cores wasn't enabled
 
kettlecorn
Old
#20  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 205
Join Date: Nov 2010
Why is there no section for Kindle HD 8.9? I want a pure android tablet that is bigger than 7" but less than 10". Does the Kindle HD 8.9 have any roms yet like CM 10 that is FULLY stable? I love the size and form factor as well as the screen of the Kindle HD 8.9" but if it doesn't have android and I can't multitask use google talk and just do general productivity stuff then I will have to go with a 10" or a small nexus 7. I had the nexus 7" and found it a little bit too small. I also had a 10" and found it a little bit too big. I think 8 or 9 would be perfect so it's either this or the ipad mini. Not too big of a fan of IOS so if this can get android, I would be happy.

Can anyone tell me what the status is on custom android roms and whether the Kindle in the past has gotten great development or if good rom dev is sparce? I would appreciate it. Thanks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


[OTA] Nvidia Shield Tablet Receives its First Update

The Nvidia Shield Tabletis the latest toy from one of the largest desktop graphics … more

Quick Control Panel Updated, Adds Notification Support

As some of you may remember, earlier this year we spoke about Quick Control Panel by … more

Narrate Makes Note Taking Efficient and Beautiful

Technology has put life on the fast track. Whether its travelling to multiple places or … more

Android App Review: How to Speed Up Your Android Phone – XDA Developer TV

Is your Android device running slow? Is your Android device … more