Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,852 Members 40,421 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD] USB Audio Support

Tip us?

CZ Eddie
Old
Thanks Meter 900

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknorris View Post
I have updated the main post with v1.1 which should detect root a bit better. I am still interested to hear of results with other devices. If there are issues I may be able to create device specific patches that can be applied in the same way.
No change in behavior with my rooted, custom De-Odexed TW ROM for Galaxy S3.
I do have ADB enabled but it doesn't pop up & request root privs on my unlocked, open desktop of the phone.

Of course, my TW doesn't need it because USB-DAC works fine as-is.

Quote:
I am looking into the driver situation now, just out of interest what is the codename for your NA S3? (eg i9300, d2vzw, d2att etc)
Mine is a D2att. Which is the North American Galaxy S3 for AT&T.
TMO Galaxy Note 3 on ATT unlimited data plan

• bri315317's Dynamic Kat 4.4.2 ROM
  • imoseyon's LeanKernel

• Samsung Galaxy S5
  • Samsung Galaxy S4
  • Samsung Galaxy S3
  • Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket
  • Samsung Infuse
  • HTC Inspire

**** Check out my how-to DIY kickstand case!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52585717
**** Visit my XDA thread to help get APT-X High Definition Bluetooth Audio working in AOSP ROM's!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2531440

jacknorris
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post
No change in behavior with my rooted, custom De-Odexed TW ROM for Galaxy S3.
I do have ADB enabled but it doesn't pop up & request root privs on my unlocked, open desktop of the phone.

Of course, my TW doesn't need it because USB-DAC works fine as-is.

Mine is a D2att. Which is the North American Galaxy S3 for AT&T.
If nothing pops up and the program doesnt throw up an error then everything is working as expected. The allow permission is probably being remembered.

Forgive me if I am missing something but is there any particular reason you are testing this if your ROM is already working? Or are you after CM10.1 with full USB DAC support?

CZ Eddie
Old
Thanks Meter 900

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Forgive me if I am missing something but is there any particular reason you are testing this if your ROM is already working? Or are you after CM10.1 with full USB DAC support?
Hahah. Yes, USB-DAC works beautifully as-is with the stock TW ROM on Galaxy S3 ATT.
But I'm a CM10/AOKP fiend. I need my customization fix! hahah

Quote:
If nothing pops up and the program doesnt throw up an error then everything is working as expected. The allow permission is probably being remembered.
Nope, it's the same error as before. It's tough to catch a screenshot before it goes away, but I just barely managed (see pic below).
This is not on CM10.1, it's on the rooted TW ROM. I'm just trying to flash it to help out. It doesn't actually need it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error2.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	1671106  
TMO Galaxy Note 3 on ATT unlimited data plan

• bri315317's Dynamic Kat 4.4.2 ROM
  • imoseyon's LeanKernel

• Samsung Galaxy S5
  • Samsung Galaxy S4
  • Samsung Galaxy S3
  • Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket
  • Samsung Infuse
  • HTC Inspire

**** Check out my how-to DIY kickstand case!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52585717
**** Visit my XDA thread to help get APT-X High Definition Bluetooth Audio working in AOSP ROM's!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2531440

jacknorris
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Hahah. Yes, USB-DAC works beautifully as-is with the stock TW ROM on Galaxy S3 ATT.

Nope, it's the same error as before. It's tough to catch a screenshot before it goes away, but I just barely managed (see pic below).
This is not on CM10.1, it's on the rooted TW ROM. I'm just trying to flash it to help out. It doesn't actually need it.
Hah fair enough, well I have CM10.1 for the d2att compiling now I'll see how far I get.

In the meantime could you try download the following for me? Extract it to a folder and run debug.bat and then please PM me the contents of debug.txt ? It will dump out your init.rc file, root directory listing and build.prop file.
It may just be that your deodexed rom has no BOOTCLASSPATH entry at all, I've not seen that before but there's a first for everything!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30612286/US...PORT/debug.zip
The Following User Says Thank You to jacknorris For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jacknorris
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Okay you might need to fill in some blanks for me here, I don't have access to an NA S3 and I haven't really been following the device so I am totally out of the loop.

Looking at the d2att kernel the USB audio drivers should be compiled in by default, so in theory my patch should enable hot plugging for the device. I assume the reason it does not work is exactly the same as with the Nexus 7 - there is simply no code to say "Hey Android... Switch the audio to USB!". That is effectively what my patch does.

As a test I have compiled a copy of CM10.1 with USB audio drivers and my USB audio patch built in. If you could test this on your device at some point it would be appreciated.

cm-10.1-20130124-usb-audio-test-1-UNOFFICIAL-d2att.zip

CynicalMushroom
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Default Sv: [MOD] USB Audio Support

Jack, any tips on kernels with usb audio drivers? I've been asking around and PM:ed a few kernel devs but it seems like that most of them don't have usb audio implemented.

For ex: the cm10.1 kernel has the usb drivers but they're not "activated" (for lack of a better word), and your patch sorta activates the drivers, correct?

Will be flashing cm10.1 and your patch in the afternoon, I'll share my results, maybe even a little step by step guide if I get it to work (:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
Feel free to Thank

Darkii89
Old
(Last edited by Darkii89; 24th January 2013 at 08:09 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Stock versions of Note/S3 may have issues but CM10/10.1 should be fine. I have tested it on a friends S3 and it works without issue.
What OS are you running on your Note 2?
Quote:
Okay you might need to fill in some blanks for me here, I don't have access to an NA S3 and I haven't really been following the device so I am totally out of the loop.

Looking at the d2att kernel the USB audio drivers should be compiled in by default, so in theory my patch should enable hot plugging for the device. I assume the reason it does not work is exactly the same as with the Nexus 7 - there is simply no code to say "Hey Android... Switch the audio to USB!". That is effectively what my patch does.

As a test I have compiled a copy of CM10.1 with USB audio drivers and my USB audio patch built in. If you could test this on your device at some point it would be appreciated.

cm-10.1-20130124-usb-audio-test-1-UNOFFICIAL-d2att.zip
umm, i m trying to get fiio e07k to work in my international note 2, fiio e07k works with note 2 US stock rom but it doesn't work with note 2 international stock, it seems that theres something in note 2 US kernel that get the e07k to work, btw which rom ur friend using??official cm10.1 or custom cm10.1?

yukster
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I think I got it to work on my Nexus 7. I had some problems with the Faux123 kernel that I had installed, so I tried the Timur kernel that recommended on the OP. It also looks like you have to install the volume control mod for everything to work as well.
------------------------------------------------------------

Current Tablet: Nexus 7 16GB, running Faux Kernel

PDA: Sharp S01SHa WM6 (EM One)
- Emobile/Japan

Previous: T-Mobile SDA (HTC Tornado), Cingular Treo 750,
Softbank X02HT (HTC Cavalier) , Dell Axim X51V HTC Touch Pro (NTT Docomo HT-01A)

yukster
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Jack, everything works great, except for the volume control. I installed the n7 volume control patch, and when I press the volume controls on my USB headset, the volume control appears on the tablet, but pressing vol up or down does not change the volume, nor does the slider move. I did a factory rest, and installed the timur kernel, along with your patches.

Otherwise, great job on the patch!

Thanks!

Current Tablet: Nexus 7 16GB, running Faux Kernel

PDA: Sharp S01SHa WM6 (EM One)
- Emobile/Japan

Previous: T-Mobile SDA (HTC Tornado), Cingular Treo 750,
Softbank X02HT (HTC Cavalier) , Dell Axim X51V HTC Touch Pro (NTT Docomo HT-01A)

CynicalMushroom
Old
(Last edited by CynicalMushroom; 24th January 2013 at 02:38 PM.)
Thanks Meter 41
It works!

Had an old nandroid of the CM10.1 nightlies, just restored, plugged in, ran the program, reboot and BAM! It works!

Can't explain how happy I am right now! Thank you Jack!

Oh and btw, Jukster, you're not supposed to change the volume on your phone since it's using the external dac for volumes and such. It's actually more accurate than stock (you could change the volume on the phone while the dac was plugged in, giving the impression that the phone was still using the internal dac).

Thanks again Jack, I'll inform the guys over at head-fi, everyone with a i9300/N7 will come streaming over here
Feel free to Thank