Thanks Meter: 27

191 posts
Donate to Me
More
Product found here-
http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/a...asteroid-smart

product review ces-
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6642/h...roid-head-unit

would like to hear from the people who own this unit.
interested in one for my benz.
The Following User Says Thank You to qs504792 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd March 2013, 02:45 AM   |  #2  
Flag In the middle
Thanks Meter: 3

103 posts
More
hi
use this post to collect information about this unit!
thanks
8th March 2013, 12:45 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 6

6 posts
I own this device and the previous classic model. The classic model was junk. The Smart is amazing. Absolutely no crashes, great audio and nav. I would definitely suggest installing one. It runs on 2.3.7. The only complaint is it doesn't include Google accounts or any gapps. I have successfully installed the Google framework and managed to get google music, maps, and plus working. Play store functions but crashes on downloads. Google talk crashes immediately. I would like to figure out how to get into the recovery and possibly flash the gapps to see if this fixes the problem. Anyway...super happy with the out of the box product.
The Following User Says Thank You to nrtower1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th March 2013, 10:16 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 2

21 posts
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrtower1

I own this device and the previous classic model. The classic model was junk. The Smart is amazing. Absolutely no crashes, great audio and nav. I would definitely suggest installing one. It runs on 2.3.7. The only complaint is it doesn't include Google accounts or any gapps. I have successfully installed the Google framework and managed to get google music, maps, and plus working. Play store functions but crashes on downloads. Google talk crashes immediately. I would like to figure out how to get into the recovery and possibly flash the gapps to see if this fixes the problem. Anyway...super happy with the out of the box product.

Same experce here. Owned the classic in a previous car and just installed the smart this week (including the Unika canbus interface). Steering wheel buttons work perfect and the unit is supersmooth. Multi tasks really well (music, tomtom, radar trap alerts) and also pairs really nicely with my phone. Only have to convince my galaxy nexus to automatically tether bluetooth internet connections, but a GNex problem not the smarts.

No crashes to date (with a lot of sideloaded apps), great soundquality (if maybe not too loud, but loud enough in my alfa 159) and equalizer possibilities and the buttons work instantly, a problem that the classic had (laginess with the unika interface).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wessel99 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th March 2013, 11:34 PM   |  #5  
Flag In the middle
Thanks Meter: 3

103 posts
More
Thanks for your review.
So TomTom can be used without problem?
If you receive a bluetooth call during Navigation what happens

Is possible to install widget to have a result like this? (http://www.pioneer.eu/images/product..._thumbnail.jpg) using beautiful widget in example?

there is a night mode?

Last question: is possibile to switch mute fastly?

Thanks in advance....but i can't find more information about this unit!
9th March 2013, 01:21 AM   |  #6  

6 posts
I sideloaded adw launcher and have no issues customizing the home screen. Im currently testing just about any app I can....subsonic, opera, pandora, dolphin...work perfectly. Ill try some widget apps and report. This unit has a lot of promise...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nrtower1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th March 2013, 07:27 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 12

50 posts
More
I'm going to get one of these too for my Pathfinder... as soon as I can find someone to sell me one. I've never had this much trouble even getting in contact with someone at a stereo shop...

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessel99

...Steering wheel buttons work perfect...

Do you mean the steering wheel control peripheral that is included with the head unit, or is this thing compatible with controls that are built in to the steering wheel from the factory?
10th March 2013, 08:58 PM   |  #8  

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger355

I'm going to get one of these too for my Pathfinder... as soon as I can find someone to sell me one. I've never had this much trouble even getting in contact with someone at a stereo shop...

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Do you mean the steering wheel control peripheral that is included with the head unit, or is this thing compatible with controls that are built in to the steering wheel from the factory?

Crutchfield is where I would suggest purchasing one. They offer everything you need to install it, harnesses...etc. for free. Plus, they have a no questions asked return policy. If you have factory steering wheel controls you will need to purchase the UNIKA controller from parrot. It has seamless integration. I don't recall the price.
11th March 2013, 11:37 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 2

21 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khael

Thanks for your review.
So TomTom can be used without problem?
If you receive a bluetooth call during Navigation what happens

Is possible to install widget to have a result like this? (http://www.pioneer.eu/images/product..._thumbnail.jpg) using beautiful widget in example?

there is a night mode?

Last question: is possibile to switch mute fastly?

Thanks in advance....but i can't find more information about this unit!

Haven't received a call during navigation yet, good question. I remember using my smartphone as nav and getting called 5 minutes before I arrived, navigating small streets and getting lost by losing directions. Tomtom works without a glitch, very fast and smooth, albeit that it takes some time to boot.

Widgets seem to work, haven't tested a lot yet.

I'm not sure what you mean with switch "mute"? There is no specific mute button, but a pause button which will kill the radio or mp3s playing. Switching between inputs is very fast too (click music -> whichever source you need).

Night mode is switched automatically and has a few options: car iso-lead (if it has lights in the iso lead), unika interface (this is the canbus interface for steering wheel controls and various other info like reversing lights etc. Should even support park distance control in the future as stated in parrots dev forum), and also GPS using sunlight hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger355

There is no remote control included, just the radio, the leads and the usb-gps receiver. What I meant is that if you buy the additional Unika interface, this can be configured to listen to the cars resistive (old school) or canbus steering wheel messages and deliver them to the parrot. Added functionality of the canbus option is that is can read more messages on the canbus like when the car is in reverse, lights etc.
11th March 2013, 03:17 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 12

50 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrtower1

Crutchfield is where I would suggest purchasing one. They offer everything you need to install it, harnesses...etc. for free. Plus, they have a no questions asked return policy. If you have factory steering wheel controls you will need to purchase the UNIKA controller from parrot. It has seamless integration. I don't recall the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessel99

There is no remote control included, just the radio, the leads and the usb-gps receiver. What I meant is that if you buy the additional Unika interface, this can be configured to listen to the cars resistive (old school) or canbus steering wheel messages and deliver them to the parrot. Added functionality of the canbus option is that is can read more messages on the canbus like when the car is in reverse, lights etc.

Ah, so that's what the UNIKA interface is, thanks!

FYI, looks like they're sold out at Parrot... looks like I'll have to hunt around for it.

edit:

Looks like newegg has them: newegg.com
Last edited by danger355; 11th March 2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: added newegg link

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread