XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WebOS for nexus 4??

Tip us?

fennix
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default WebOS for nexus 4??

Any info if anyone is working on porting webOS for tge nexus 4?

Please share ur knolage

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

bigwilly90210
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Default Re: WebOS for nexus 4??

I would love some of this. The proprietary blobs are out there now right since 4.2.2 so we should be good to go? Honestly haven't heard much, just chiming in.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

jimmyco2008
Old
Thanks Meter 96
I know this is old, I'm jumpstarting a few threads here.

The Nexus 4 uses a Qualcomm processor, not exactly open-source material.. Though I'm not a genius with this sort of thing, but I believe elements of the CPU have to be open-source, like with the Galaxy Nexus and its TI OMAP processor, to actually make anything but Android (or Ubuntu, which uses the Android kernel) boot.

dragon_76
Old
Thanks Meter 92
I haven't kept up with WebOS development. It seems to have been abandoned. Which is such a shame for such an elegant OS.

Last I heard, WebOS was being ported to run on top of Linux, meaning anything Linux supports, it will support.

So if there was still any kind of activity behind WebOS, It would be trivial to port it, just like Jolla Sailfish, Ubuntu Touch and Firefox OS.

RumoredNow
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_76 View Post
I haven't kept up with WebOS development. It seems to have been abandoned. Which is such a shame for such an elegant OS.

Last I heard, WebOS was being ported to run on top of Linux, meaning anything Linux supports, it will support.

So if there was still any kind of activity behind WebOS, It would be trivial to port it, just like Jolla Sailfish, Ubuntu Touch and Firefox OS.

The OpenwebOS Project sees lots of pulls and merges from the repo. WebOS Internals Ports Team is working on porting Open webOS to the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 7. The current stumbling block is graphics acceleration. HP and LG (the new owners of proprietary webOS) are active in the OpenwebOS Project as well. LG is building a Smart TV around the OS.

http://webos-ports.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.openwebosproject.org/
Nokia Lumia 925: T-Mo Branded Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Devs
LG Nexus 4: Jolla Sailfish for N4 EA2
Asus Nexus 7: Pure Google Kit Kat 4.4.2
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
The Following User Says Thank You to RumoredNow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]