[APP] OblyTile - Tile Creator for all programs.

Search This thread

mertzi

Jul 8, 2011
Hello,
You need the .lnk files aswell :( without those you can't restore the tiles. A backup system will be included on next version.

Hello,
1. Should not have problem with it.

2. The application is standalone (does not require installation) so, when you don't want to use it, just delete it. Some files will stay on the system, but you can delete those manually.
Locations:
.lnk (links)
Code:
"C:\Users\<Your Username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Application Shortcuts\OblyTile"
.vbs (Launcher) .png (Picture) .pri (Resources) .exe (Extra functions)
Code:
"C:\Program Files\OblyTile"
Regkey
Code:
Set your browser as predefinite one more time by using the control panel

Thought the new version of OblyTIle will include a "Clean Tool", to that if you don't need OblyTile anymore, you can easly remove all the files.
OblyTile does not patch any file, so the system will keep running as always :good:

Argony

great to hear! But I don't understand the last bit about setting your browser as predefinite, do you mean changing the default browser? I only use a portable version (from portableapps.com) of chrome, and sometimes firefox and opera, both portables too, but mostly chrome, and IE10 is still the default browser.

hugobozz

Jun 4, 2009
re. the Windows Desktop PC refresh, I did backup those files, and restored them now.
My Tiles are all back, thanks much!

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
great to hear! But I don't understand the last bit about setting your browser as predefinite, do you mean changing the default browser? I only use a portable version (from portableapps.com) of chrome, and sometimes firefox and opera, both portables too, but mostly chrome, and IE10 is still the default browser.
I use portable version of browsers aswell, in this case, don't mind the regkey ;)

re. the Windows Desktop PC refresh, I did backup those files, and restored them now.
My Tiles are all back, thanks much!
Glad to hear! :good:

Argony

urhos

Sep 8, 2011
First off... Thank you so much for this application. It makes my start screen look great.

I use xbmc to play media files on my htpc. I'd like to know if any of these functions could be automatically executed with the program arguments field:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=List_of_built-in_functions
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Opening_Windows_and_Dialogs

I want to make a "movies" tile on my start screen and have it go straight to my list of movies in xbmc (bypassing the xbmc home screen). Then I could make start screen tiles for television and games. I have spent a few hours trying to get this to work, but I haven't found anything out yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

zenopzz

Mar 22, 2011
Cincinnati Ohio
I posted a little bit ago about my OblyTile not responding when I open tile manager. Well I updated about 5 different drivers and my BIOS and now it works fine. Just though I'd let you know just in case you are still trying to figure out why it was crashing.

saigon66

Feb 2, 2008
Some of my icon are gone ( see photo ). How can i fix it? I didn't known how they are gone, at first they are all there. Thanks a lot .

Attachments

• Icoon.jpg
    Icoon.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 341

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
I use xbmc to play media files on my htpc. I'd like to know if any of these functions could be automatically executed with the program arguments field:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=List_of_built-in_functions
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Opening_Windows_and_Dialogs
I want to make a "movies" tile on my start screen and have it go straight to my list of movies in xbmc (bypassing the xbmc home screen). Then I could make start screen tiles for television and games. I have spent a few hours trying to get this to work, but I haven't found anything out yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hello, sadly i don't know any way to do this :(

I posted a little bit ago about my OblyTile not responding when I open tile manager. Well I updated about 5 different drivers and my BIOS and now it works fine. Just though I'd let you know just in case you are still trying to figure out why it was crashing.
Glad to hear, i was about to rewrite the whole function again to solve your issue. :good:

Some of my icon are gone ( see photo ). How can i fix it? I didn't known how they are gone, at first they are all there. Thanks a lot .
Hello,
Try to press the Rebuild Cache button (second button on the top part of OblyTIle)
If it does not work, try This

Hope this helps
Argony

saigon66

Feb 2, 2008
Hello, sadly i don't know any way to do this :(

Glad to hear, i was about to rewrite the whole function again to solve your issue. :good:

Hello,
Try to press the Rebuild Cache button (second button on the top part of OblyTIle)
If it does not work, try This

Hope this helps
Argony

Thanks a lot, you top has working very well .

Mohanshbhr

Jan 8, 2011
Mau, Lucknow
i m having some problem... when i create tiles for some apps then i got TWO icon/tiles of that app in start screen and also in "All Apps" menu... Adobe reader, gimp, utoorent.. these are several apps. i have attached screenshot in which u can see uTorrent have to icons.. and also two tiles of uTorremt in start screen
http://i50.tinypic.com/vopdzd.jpg

jphilips

Oct 7, 2009
Request

Morning,

I do have a kind of, quick request.
Love the app by the way.

I don't use detailed icons, just a nice square with a colour, and the text overlaying it.
I would like the ability to change the text font / size / colour.
At the moment, it is a static font and colour.
For example, I might want nice White square, but when the White text goes over it, it's obviously hidden.

Basically what I do is have the same colour background squares per section, so games are red, development blue, web sites green.

Thank you kindly.

Jenni

Reactions: Argony-OT

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
Morning,

I do have a kind of, quick request.
Love the app by the way.

I don't use detailed icons, just a nice square with a colour, and the text overlaying it.
I would like the ability to change the text font / size / colour.
At the moment, it is a static font and colour.
For example, I might want nice White square, but when the White text goes over it, it's obviously hidden.

Basically what I do is have the same colour background squares per section, so games are red, development blue, web sites green.

Thank you kindly.

Jenni

Hello Jenni,

As far as i know, there's no way to change the font/size of text on tiles.
However a way to do this could be the one to make an overlay system, it may also solve the problem with special characters.
About the text colour, it's already possible with the latest version of OblyTile.

I could add an overlay function in future releases :good:

Thanks you for your request.
Have a good day :good:

Argony

Mohanshbhr

Jan 8, 2011
Mau, Lucknow
i m having some problem... when i create tiles for some apps then i got TWO icon/tiles of that app in start screen and also in "All Apps" menu... Adobe reader, gimp, utoorent.. these are several apps. i have attached screenshot in which u can see uTorrent have to icons.. and also two tiles of uTorremt in start screen
http://i50.tinypic.com/vopdzd.jpg

Ok i solved my above issue, just delete the icon from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu and now no more twice icons in "All Apps" menu...

i have feature request.. can u please add a clean up option that can clean unused folder from C:\Program Files\OblyTile.. because after modifying tiles it becomes more than one folder of same app.... i mean to say i used to change icons often and i have more that 8 folder of google chrome and its increasing day by every time i modify a tiles... Chrome is only an example... there are so many folders of same app...
please add some type of clean up option which deletes all unused foleder and keeps onyfolder which one is being used:good::good::good:

crewol

Nov 4, 2011
I haven't been able to try it just yet so I'm not sure if this is already in the program or if it has been asked before but is there a way to create tiles that are wider like the default apps when you right click and choose larger?

Mjuksel

Jan 2, 2011
www.mjxl.net
I haven't been able to try it just yet so I'm not sure if this is already in the program or if it has been asked before but is there a way to create tiles that are wider like the default apps when you right click and choose larger?

This isn't possible as of yet.
Argony has been searching high and low for a way to make this work, but unfortunately this isn't possible with his program yet.

crewol

Nov 4, 2011
This isn't possible as of yet.
Argony has been searching high and low for a way to make this work, but unfortunately this isn't possible with his program yet.
I see, thank you! I do hope he will find a way to do it! I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks Argony, It's a great program!

cadarn07

Jul 10, 2012
Minor issues

Great app, thanks so much! A couple of minor issues I've seen:

1. On my media PC I used this app to create shortcuts to Libraries on a networked drive (My Videos, Documents, etc on another PC). These shortcuts open the folders fine, but an error message also pops up every time behind the folder stating that the network location (or directory) couldn't be found. I just click OK and everything works fine otherwise.

2. Again on my media PC, I have ripped a DVD movie (.iso format) in a local folder (not a network folder) that I created a shortcut to with OblyTile. When I click the shortcut, I get a very similar error message to the first issue except the file doesn't launch. The dialog box just said there is no file there. At this point, I had ISO's set to "mount" in explorer (and then I would just right click the drive it mounted to and run the file with VLC). After this, I set the ISO to open with VLC by default (to play the movie) instead of mounting to Explorer (which is really what I wanted anyway). After doing this, the OblyTile shortcut worked fine with no error. But if you did want to mount ISO's by default (which I usually do, just not on this PC), it seems that the OblyTile shortcut wouldn't work unless there's another way to input the target for the shortcut to force it to mount in explorer.

Very minor bugs (unless I didn't set something right?), but I just wanted to mention them as you continue to develop the app. Thanks again for this awesome tool!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This program is meant to create tiles to the Windows 8/8.1 start screen.

I created it in vb.net using SharpDevelop, it works for all programs/folder/files/websites.

The program will store the image files inside the folder "C:\Program Files\OblyTile" and create the Shortcut .LNK file inside the StartMenu folder.

If you want to remove a Tile, right click it on the start screen/menu and select "Remove From Start" or select a tile on the OblyTile Created Tile list and press the recycle bin button located on bottom right of OblyTile.

OblyTile has support for command line, you can check the list of available commands by running OblyTile with the "/?" as argument.

To remove OblyTile and revert to default windows settings you have to run OblyTile as administrator and click the Remove button located in the settings menu [Click the Wrench icon on top of OblyTile to access the settings menu]

Note: Do not expect a Windows 10 version anytime soon. Why?

Old Versions:
    OblyTile v0.5 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.7/0.7.1 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8.2 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8.6 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8.8 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.1 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.5 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.7 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.8 (ChangeLog)

Latest Version:
    OblyTile v0.9.9

ChangeLog:
    • [Win 8.1] Added ability to pin the Tiles at different Sizes when created/edited. [Via UI or Command Line Arguments]
    • [Win 8.1] OblyTile will now export and import tiles in correct order and size. [No groups]
    • Added "Desktop" in the QuickList.
    • New tiles will be shown with proper name and icon on Classic Shell. [32px icon only]
    • Enhanced the OblyTile "Remove" function. [You can find it in the Settings menu]
    • Tile exporter will create a new backup folder just in case you want to keep old backups.
    • Possible fix for the Browser/Home keyboard button not opening the correct web browser.
    • Possible fix for the loop issue that causes OblyTile to open itself multiple times. (Thanks to Steel Froggy)
    • Fixed issue with the tile preview showing double borders.
    • Fixed issue with the Windows Store Apps list not being able to create desktop/taskbar shortcuts for certain apps.
    • Fixed other minor stuffs.
    • Small changes to the UI. [Dpi, Transitions, Context Menu]
    Known Issues:
    • Make a backup of your tiles before upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, you might lose your custom tiles during the process of upgrade. (Thanks to LLJKRevol)
    • Tiles which contain accented letters in the tile name can be edited only by OblyTile v0.9.8 and above.
    • In order to launch the Immersive mode of your web browser by using a tile made with OblyTile, be sure to close the desktop version of it.
    • If the Browser/Home button doesn't work properly, open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
    • If the tiles are not showed properly (a normal icon is showed) open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
    • If the tiles are visible only on the "App" side of the start screen (Windows 8.1) open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
    • Changing web browser will show multiple entry of Internet Explorer, Use "Set Default Programs" in Control Panel to change your default web browser and then press the Rebuild Cache button on OblyTile.
    • If "Rebuild cache" does not work, try >> this <<
    • In case of the error Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.ValidateKeyName or similar, try >> this <<
    • If the tile will not react when you click it (the program or file will not be opened) follow those steps VBScript - Fix
    • OblyTile does not work on some WinPE/WimBoot installations
    Tested on:
    Windows 8.1 Professional Build 9600 - 32/64 Bit
    Windows 8.1 Core Build 9600 - 64 Bit (Thanks to Timo)
    Windows 8 Professional Build 9200 - 32/64 Bit
    Windows 8 Enterprise Build 9200 - 32/64 Bit
    Microsoft Surface RT 32GB /w Jailbreak (Thanks to netham45)

Use this program at your own risk.

md5 Hash:
    f54db82cdf8b1cf13430db43b743ad22

Download from:

Firedrive:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

OneDrive:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

Mega:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

Dropbox:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

App Images:
    View attachment 2877100 View attachment 2362073 View attachment 1837929 View attachment 1505786 View attachment 1404991 View attachment 1358506
    Current State of OblyTile on Windows 10

Hey all,

To start; I'd like to thank all of you over the past 3 years for the support you've given me and the appreciation towards the work I've done. I really can't tell you how much it means and the confidence it has given me to explore what I do and continue improving.

I am trying my best to find a way for OblyTile to work on Windows 10, however I have stumbled in to some compatibility issues and so far I haven't figured out a way around these and just wanted to make you all aware that it may not be possible for OblyTile to work on Windows 10.

I'll keep trying.

With that being said, any progression I make will be updated right here. Along with any news or other possible avenues for me to explore. But don't expect anything in the immediate future as MS have changed the OS from their first builds and these issues aren't small as what was possible, is no longer.

Thank you once again,
    Argony.
    Tile Set

Here is the set of tiles i have been creating.

This is what i call my over sized plain high contrast pack. +-70 Icons

Windows Tile Set

I am starting to work on a High Resolution Realism set. If you are going to use the set and you have some specific programs you wish to have done please just pm me.

Please Thank me if you like them.
    Hi, I've posted some screenshot of the evolution of my start page using OblyTile HERE, feel free to have a look if you'd like :)

Also, I've done a model for GIMP for creating tiles (including the right dimension of the image and the correct font and size of it) and a ZIP archives with the tiles i've created.

Some of them comes from a FANTASTIC metro UI tiles set that Devianart user ~dAKirby309 created. You can find the whole set HERE, check it out! The other ones are made by images of the games and the applications I own, searching 'em on Google Images.

Hope this helps the community! :)
    Great app! Makes Windows 8 worth while. One small suggestion though, It would be nice if it made a 30x30 image automatically from the 120x120 image (or just have it as an option).

New version released! (v0.8.8)

The function you request is included on this new version.

Infos and Download on main page