The Hidden Note II

Search This thread

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
janeilarlegui.deviantart.com
This idea came about after my brother was held up at knife point for his Note II. He was just commuting home at night but thankfully nothing really bad happened to him.

I commute and I hate the idea of losing my new Note II. So, I modified my old wood covered planner by cutting out the paper layers to form a niche for the Galaxy Note II. I considered including the silicone casing to tighten secure the device into place.

I control the device with a smart watch like the old Sony Ericsson LiveView and my wireless stereo remote earphones. My main line is another common smartphone. The Note serves as my secondary line. I can quickly make calls, read & reply sms (pre composed) via the smart watch.

You just need to use the Note in safer places and not flaunt by using it while in the mod planner for long periods of time. It would also help that you install a screen dimmerv app so as the light will not to give away that you have the Note in it and keep your phone in discreet mode with just vibration alerts.

While most are flaunting this great device, it's less likely that the would-be robber will suspect that the Note is in the planner. The secondary phone is your "smoke-screen" device you will surrender.

In this way, there's no need to do any struggle especially when he has a gun pointed at you.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium HD app

Gucci.Nexus

Oct 23, 2010
Vancouver
What watch do you have?

Phone: Galaxy Note II - SGH-i317M* Provider: Telus Rom: Stock - rooted (JB 4.1.1) Kernel: Stock Recovery: Stock

--------------
Thanks to the Devs hard work and the power of sharing!

royalh

Feb 25, 2006
Portland
This idea came about after my brother was held up at knife point for his Note II. He was just commuting home at night but thankfully nothing really bad happened to him.

I commute and I hate the idea of losing my new Note II. So, I modified my old wood covered planner by cutting out the paper layers to form a niche for the Galaxy Note II. I considered including the silicone casing to tighten secure the device into place.

I control the device with a smart watch like the old Sony Ericsson LiveView and my wireless stereo remote earphones. My main line is another common smartphone. The Note serves as my secondary line. I can quickly make calls, read & reply sms (pre composed) via the smart watch.

You just need to use the Note in safer places and not flaunt by using it while in the mod planner for long periods of time. It would also help that you install a screen dimmerv app so as the light will not to give away that you have the Note in it and keep your phone in discreet mode with just vibration alerts.

While most are flaunting this great device, it's less likely that the would-be robber will suspect that the Note is in the planner. The secondary phone is your "smoke-screen" device you will surrender.

In this way, there's no need to do any struggle especially when he has a gun pointed at you.

Would have been great if he had one of the security apps that take a picture and send it to your email - like lookout and avast... Could have gotten a pic of the thief!

Sent from my Giant i317 Pocket Monster!

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810e using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359537861567.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359537861567.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 6,335
  • uploadfromtaptalk1359537915175.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359537915175.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 5,925
  • uploadfromtaptalk1359537965258.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359537965258.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 5,840

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
The previuous post are shots after I managed to cut the inside of the planner. It took me 2 hours to cut and an overnight of drying out the Elmer's glue with a small paint brush on the interior side of the cut out edges.

Choose a planner/notebook that has flexi-band to keep it closed.

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
Oh, I check the forum and we are all talking about gun control?

Sigh. Ok, back on topic - the screen light would give it away at night. I imply the screen filter to dim it down at 20%. I recommend that you put your browsers at negative or dark backgrounds. I guess you have a settings when you have it in there. It isn't going to be 100% elimination of light bouncing off the opposite page.

The point of going through this trouble is concealment of your device while you travel or commute. It's about an extra layer of precaution. Keeping it out of sight will somehow lessen the provocation of a hold-up. And in the event of a hold-up, be it with whatever threat of life, just give your cheap secondary phone.

There is no point of dying for something you can replace.

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
Of course not in the dark. I meant at night in a lit place. The point is - concealment; stealth; secret; not obvious; discreet; hidden; disguised...

I put the Note II in the planner when I am traveling or commuting to another place. I remove the Note entirely from the planner without showing that I have taken it out for long use in a cafe, or safe public places. You can conceal this process of taking it out or putting it back in inside your bag.

When you do need to do something with the Note's UI, it should be brief enough and unnoticeable. Backing up to a wall is one way. With the first S Pen on a holder accessory, you would look like you're jotting down something.

Other than concealment, the planner keeps the Note damage safe from drops.

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
Mxyzptlk, yes, the reading light is plausible. I have one, but that would be attracting attention more. But I certainly can see the long time usage of this deception. Yes, I can do this too.

Mister_Mxyzptlk

Dec 5, 2011
Louisville, KY
Mxyzptlk, yes, the reading light is plausible. I have one, but that would be attracting attention more. But I certainly can see the long time usage of this deception. Yes, I can do this too.

I was really thinking of using it only in situations where your handset's light would otherwise ruin the effect. But I can see the reading light drawing attention too. I guess it's use would have to be occasional and with a judgement call.

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
uploadfromtaptalk1359772692845.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359772753776.jpg

My further development for the planner is to use a page and cut it exactly the Note II's screen profile and to cover the rest. I seem to be able to trigger the back and option capacitive buttons through the paper. The front paper can be held in place by using Blutack.

I still have 2 extra planners to experiment on, probably integrating the first S Pen with the holder accessory into the niche. Any further suggestions are appreciated.

chris82o

Feb 25, 2008
los angeles
Wow dont get me wrong but where do you live that you have to travle like that but great idea It reminds me of the nook cases that look l Iike journals and books I love them I hope they make something like that for the note 2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

KB112

Jan 13, 2010
East SF-Bay Area
Damn. .. That's creative. But I shutter at the thought of having to go through these lengths.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

SwiftLegend

Apr 1, 2010
Damn, that's really unfortunate. My friend had his iPhone taken in the middle of the day. The guy asked if he could make a call, then walked out of the store, and when my friend followed him, he said he had a knife and to walk the other way.

I understand where you're coming from with this mod, but in all honesty, the best way to prevent getting into a situation like this is to be smart. Of course I don't know the full story, but my advice to anyone is keep your phone concealed whenever you can and be mindful of your surroundings. May seem paranoid (Hey, I'm kinda tall for my age but I'm also pretty skinny), but I'm always watching around me for anything/one suspicious - especially when walking down a dark/sketchy side street.

Glad your brothers safe though. Situations like this can turn ugly fast.

AllanJH

Mar 2, 2009
I still have my old HTC Amaze 4G, so I'm working on finding a VNC server app for my Note II and a client for my Amaze, and then simply tethering my Amaze to my Note. Then I can leave the Note in my pocket connected to my headphones, and control it with my Amaze.

Reactions: Mosez Pouring Beard

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
SwiftLegend, thanks. I do the same defensive precautions. This concealment is another layer. I wish for an E-ink version to kill off the strong light.

Anyway, i got some new ideas for the 2 extra planners I have. I will post them soon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I take arguably the most dangerous route to work in the country.

The 4am 1 train in Manhatten that runs through every sh!thole area in the city.

Always full of thugs, hassling the hell out of people.
    One time I was approached by some ***** who was eyeing my Nexus 7. I always carry either brass knuckles or a small blade when riding that early. This time he got the brass knuckles.

After I knocked his ass out I took a photo of him layed out as I got off my stop.

Don't ever show fear towards these animals. They are all talk when it comes down to it
    2uqe4y4a.jpg
    Carry a gun and shoot the thief.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

I made a better version for the smaller planner and here is the video link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92800985@N06/8457470770/

Pictures:

photostream

photostream

The new version integrates the old S Pen with the pen holder accessory and a top and bottom thin elastic string to hold both into place. The cut was designed to make them fit exactly and snugged into place. I didn't glue the top and bottom pages to allow charging and wired earphones to connect. The S Pen will be useful and will give the illusion that you are just jotting something down when you need to use the Note II.

It took me a bit of thinking and twice more labor for the exact cutting as I needed to make a template, pencil the cut edges every 3 to 4 pages at a time, referencing from the outer corner.