5,599,478 Members 38,408 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Straight Talk SGS2- SGH-S959G

Tip us?
 
Spinergy02
Old
#1011  
Spinergy02's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 50
Posts: 224
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default Re: Straight Talk SGS2- SGH-S959G

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpapa1086 View Post
Only illegal if you get caught
Also no way to prove you rooted after the "illegal" date. Only way they could prove it is if you purchased your phone after the date.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using xda app-developers app
 
IndigoAK
Old
#1012  
IndigoAK's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 51
Posts: 149
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinergy02 View Post
Also no way to prove you rooted after the "illegal" date. Only way they could prove it is if you purchased your phone after the date.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using xda app-developers app
You're confusing unlocking with rooting/jailbreaking.

This law only makes unlocking the modem/bootloader illegal. The Library of Congress clarified that it's still legal to root/jailbreak through at least 2015.
 
d-weenie
Old
#1013  
Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 65
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoAK View Post
You're confusing unlocking with rooting/jailbreaking.

This law only makes unlocking the modem/bootloader illegal. The Library of Congress clarified that it's still legal to root/jailbreak through at least 2015.
when did the unlock law go into effect i havent heard anything about it tbh
 
IndigoAK
Old
#1014  
IndigoAK's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 51
Posts: 149
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-weenie View Post
when did the unlock law go into effect i havent heard anything about it tbh
It went into effect on the 26th. And from what I can tell, it's not actually a new law, but an update of the DMCA.
 
angelj73
Old
(Last edited by angelj73; 1st February 2013 at 12:53 AM.)
#1015  
angelj73's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 31
Posts: 63
Join Date: Dec 2012
well looks like theres a white house petition going to make unlocking legal. count me in

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...G7#thank-you=p
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to angelj73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
razen_kain
Old
#1016  
razen_kain's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1604
Posts: 1,762
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: shreveport
Well i pulled this quote from another from the siyah forum bc i think it belongs here instead.

QUOTE=mr-cook;37433411]You're on the S959G so just flashing this zip this doesn't change your recovery. You would need to flash the zImage to your recovery partition to get these options.

Sent from my SGH-S959G[/QUOTE]

Do you mean the zImage from the siyah kernel zip? And what method of flashing would i use to do this?


That quote did not work out the way i planned it :/
 
jpapa1086
Old
#1017  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 31
Posts: 159
Join Date: Aug 2011
anyone try v6 supercharger on our device yet?
 
mr-cook
Old
#1018  
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1360
Posts: 844
Join Date: Nov 2012
Default Re: Straight Talk SGS2- SGH-S959G

Quote:
Originally Posted by razen_kain View Post
Well i pulled this quote from another from the siyah forum bc i think it belongs here instead.

QUOTE=mr-cook;37433411]You're on the S959G so just flashing this zip this doesn't change your recovery. You would need to flash the zImage to your recovery partition to get these options.

Sent from my SGH-S959G
Do you mean the zImage from the siyah kernel zip? And what method of flashing would i use to do this?


That quote did not work out the way i planned it :/[/QUOTE]

Yes the zImage from the siyah kernel. I added instructions in the OP under CWM you would need to use adb. On the i777 recovery is in the kernel so changing ROMs or to aj's kernel also changes thier recovery were we stay the same unless we change it seperately.

Sent from my SGH-S959G
The Following User Says Thank You to mr-cook For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
mr-cook
Old
#1019  
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1360
Posts: 844
Join Date: Nov 2012
Default Re: Straight Talk SGS2- SGH-S959G

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpapa1086 View Post
anyone try v6 supercharger on our device yet?
Yes. It's included in JellyBam. So if you've tried JellyBam you've tried it too, maybe without even knowing.

Sent from my SGH-S959G
 
razen_kain
Old
#1020  
razen_kain's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1604
Posts: 1,762
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: shreveport
Default Re: Straight Talk SGS2- SGH-S959G

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-cook View Post
Do you mean the zImage from the siyah kernel zip? And what method of flashing would i use to do this?


That quote did not work out the way i planned it :/
Yes the zImage from the siyah kernel. I added instructions in the OP under CWM you would need to use adb. On the i777 recovery is in the kernel so changing ROMs or to aj's kernel also changes thier recovery were we stay the same unless we change it seperately.

Sent from my SGH-S959G[/QUOTE]

Ok 2 questions about this:

When you say the root of internal sd card do you mean to just copy it in there without putting it in any folder?

And

I searched google for adb shell and i get terminal shell emulator. When it comes up i already have the $ at the command prompt. Will the same commands work? Because i tried it before but it didnt work.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda app-developers app

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes