5,606,465 Members 33,651 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[How to]--->Simple Guide to Better Battery Life

Tip us?

SpikeNaples
Old
Thanks Meter 305

DONATE TO ME
Sir, This post of yours has been written with much care and intelligence.

Keep up all your good work. The Android community benefits much because of you and the others who contribute work such as this as well as ROMS, kernels, How to's, guides and guidelines.

Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to SpikeNaples For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

unk2009
Old
(Last edited by Woody; 25th January 2013 at 09:21 PM.)
Thanks Meter 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrube View Post
Y U QUOTE WHOLE OP
Great guide, thank you...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
Current Android Device
Samsung Galaxy S4 Insane Kit Kat
Recovery-TWRP
1st Android Device: G1 Black Rooted(Thank You Jesusfreke and all the other Android Pioneers)
2nd Android Device MT3G Merlot Rooted (Retired)
3rd Android Device MT4G White Rooted (Retired)
4th Android Device HTC One S White Rooted(Retired)
5th Android Device Galaxy S3 D2TMO Rooted(Wifey claimed it)

If I was of any assistance, please hit the Thanks Button
The Following User Says Thank You to unk2009 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chuwee
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmvengy View Post
My girlfriend recently got the AT&T GS3 and was having big battery issues - the battery was constantly hot and the phone was constantly draining fast and would be done in 4 hours. Personally I don't believe people should have to solve this issue with gimmicky crap like turning data off when the phone sleeps, setting the brightness so low you can barely see things, etc. The phone battery is designed to last a day+ with normal use, so issues like the battery crapping out in 4 hours point to something deeper. I took a look around and found the following:

(I can't post the link but it is an ATT forums post called "Samsung Galaxy S3 Battery Drain (sudden drop)" and the steps are on the second page)

I followed these steps from user "erickb1800":

There was no Samsung Account under Accounts & Sync so I did not have to delete that. But I did disable those 5 apps listed in step 3 and it basically made the problem go away. One of them was using CPU constantly in the background (it only showed up as "Android OS" in the battery page tho) and disabling them seems to have solved the problem.
Have you tried using the JB Frost Rom. after installing it on my gf's S3, there was a dramatic improvement on battery life. I highly recommend this rom.

mgbotoe
Old
Thanks Meter 1358

DONATE TO ME
wow, thank you i dont know where i would be right now with out this post...probably with a phone thats almost catching on fire.

Aoe316
Old
(Last edited by Woody; 25th January 2013 at 09:22 PM.)
Thanks Meter 27
Thnaks for taking the time do do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Y U QUOTE WHOLE OP

nayoung802
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Default Re: [How to]--->Simple Guide to Better Battery Life

I dunno if its my battery, phone, rom, watever it is it takes hrs to charge my phone and even when its done charging it dies very quickly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1359161479666.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1676740  

akopositoto
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default asdada

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarco View Post
Awesome guide.. We thank you

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
thank you sir!

hybernation
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks. very much helpfull.

tester420
Old
(Last edited by tester420; 25th February 2013 at 06:35 AM.)
Thanks Meter 24
Regarding "Matte Screen Filter".. I've tried a few similar apps and while they seem to dim the screen (no doubt), I am not so sure if they are doing this by actually reducing the display's brightness. Rather, it feels like it is just a (gray?) overlay on entire screen. So, how much battery does this actually save? If I understand correctly, OLED displays when displaying black the pixel(s) are turned off. So, wouldn't the overlay still light them to some extent?

Using S3's "negative colors" under accessibility, you can see the haze of these filters on a true black wallpaper. Did anyone try this and more importantly, is there any app that can "really" dim the screen without these overlay filters?
Galaxy S
In future, we integrate more into the phone or phone integrates more into us?

cy4n
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default battery reborn

it is great to use the app "battery reborn" to have info about power comsuption of your device.

Tags
battery, battery drain