5,605,120 Members 36,634 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC Flagship 2012 - HTC One X (Endeavor) - Tegra 3 - Mega Information Thread

Tip us?

hamdir
Old
(Last edited by hamdir; 4th February 2013 at 11:03 AM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 12429
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas2295 View Post
@hamdir, can you tell us now what you idea was for Htc which made you get the phone?

Sent from my LT30p using xda premium
no i'm an elevate remember? its parts of the activities but really they make us work for it

also didn't I PM you once about this?

jonas2295
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2320

DONATE TO ME
Default AW: HTC One X - Tegra 3 - Upcoming M7 - Mega Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamdir View Post
no i'm an elevate remember? its parts of the activities but really they make us work for it

also didn't I PM you once about this?
Yeah you did but you couldn't say what the idea was.

I just had a look at the phone in a store, quite cool and really smooth, definitely a awesome design and build quality but I would never see me buying such a phone lol that system is awful.

Sent from my LT30p using xda premium

You want 20gb free cloud storage ?
use my referral link and you get them right away at copy.com !
Thanks!

sgt. slaughter
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2871
Default Re: HTC One X - Tegra 3 - Upcoming M7 - Mega Information Thread

Quote:
Android OEMs are not generous when it comes to GPUs, even on flagships and despite agressively pushing pixel density

the S4pro, Adreno 320 in optimal cooling situation was a match to onscreen performance of the iPhone 5, at 1080p its greatly less, so all the Q1 2013 1080p snapdragon devices are lagging again behind Apple, meanwhile the iPad4 already leaves everyone in the smokes

Notice how intel PC chipsets are always lacking in GPU power, despite the entire world nagging about the massive difference between its chips and discrete GPUs? certain OEMs simply choose to ignore the importance of GPU power...or maybe leverage the need for GPUs to force you to upgrade

as for Tegra, no one is saying Nvidia's performance in the mobile world had been optimal, in fact we all know they are late into the GPU game despite being the GPU inventor, that being said, Tegra does offer a lot, all my previous devices were snapdragons (1, 2 and 3) and i can assure you i was never pleased, my dual krait windows 8x did not make me change my mind either....software is always lacking, game support, drivers and the general screen off endurance, qualcomm pushes their chipsets and forget about them, if something is broken they fix it in the next revision

on the other hand Tegra 3 despite how much we struggled fixing gaming issues, is still a much better chip in my opinion, a lot more thermally stable than snapdragons (remains stable even during insane heat), extremely fast Android speed, every bit we loose in screen on endurance we gain in screen off, gaming locked performance in THD games and performance/drivers are constantly updated from Nvidia's part , Nvidia milked T3 for much over a year without changing anything in it's specs, this is very impressive and good to the consumer, it provides a stable software support and something like a stable console cycle, unlike snapdragons which are constantly being updated in hardware

I can assure you I never owned an Android device as stable as the One X

let compare 2012's snapdragon 4? at least 8 variations with much different performance between each, in fact if you dont dig the model number of the snapdragon 4 you will be mislead by performance, just like variation with Adreno 203/305 and dual/quad A5 showed us, on the other hand, there is one and only Tegra 3, the difference in clocks is no big deal just like the Nexus 7 has proven, its a much more transparent approach and better commitment toward the consumer

snapdragons are over hyped for one simple reason, their integrated radios saving device makers a huge amount of headache and money
Not generous when it comes to gpu?.... They can only include what's been developed this far at the current time. Sure Qualcomm would love to toss in the 440 now in this year's SoCs but it isn't ready. Thus HTC and the likes have no choice but to use what's been developed thus far... Like I said there is always a better SoC coming the next year and until that stops a power user will never have a phone for 2 years. Period.

Ill let you slide with the snapdragon overhyped comment for the mere fact you at least can carry on a somewhat fluid convo regarding SoCs which is something not seen everywhere. I get sick of the kiddies yelling # cores is king as they know crap about SoCs and the real workings...

Snapdragons are not changing more than a year. At least not the flagship devices. The ONLY wrinkle in that is the APQ8064 chip the put out last year which was just to get in the quad game... APQ chips were not initially intended for phones as they lack the radios. You can't fault Qualcomm for offering tiered SoCs for medium range devices. Those are never ment to compete with big dogs ever.

No one is saying nvidia sucks at all and we all kbow they are gpu king in the pc world and decently in mobile phones too. But you can not argue based purely on gpu either. If you do nvidia wins always.

Like I mentioned before each company has their niche and advantage over the others. Till the T4 and octa and 800 are all out in similar devices you can't crown either king. And being king for one year doesn't mean your SoC you release next year will be king either...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Sprint Network Vision Deployment List...
Who am I?.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUbgVzMboKs

...Time for a new wager....EVO 4G LTE will get JB OTA BEFORE 11/30/13!!
The Following User Says Thank You to sgt. slaughter For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sgt. slaughter
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2871

Quote:
i've added this to my reply

and yes it's really such a shame, an amazing device in every word but the OS is still not taking off, you can actually say the OS is not worthy of the device...

consider this, many apps like youtube and facebook are build by MS shows how neglected it is...
Agree with that... Blackberry is going to have the same issues as windows phone will now. The marketplace is extremely tough to enter now which will cause someone to have to spend a TON on developers to entice them to focus on their new OS and apps and such... Till then I don't expect much push from either OS...

That windows device is a great one... Just the OS is an issue like you say...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Sprint Network Vision Deployment List...
Who am I?.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUbgVzMboKs

...Time for a new wager....EVO 4G LTE will get JB OTA BEFORE 11/30/13!!

Goku80
Old
Thanks Meter 6473
HTC WARNS THAT PERFORMANCE MAY GET WORSE

hamdir
Old
Thanks Meter 12429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goku80 View Post
i dont get this really when you are about to launch a worldwide new flagship...

as for cheaper devices? not the butterfly for sure which is mega expensive

steve1996
Old
Thanks Meter 211

Everyone in China are praising the 920 and saying that the 920 is much better than the 8x, they say that it's very tough and unbreakable lol... They all say that HTC copied Nokia and Sony... Average users say that the specs are better, has more functions, better camera, better screen, better software support etc... When I told them that the design, the premium feel, the edges, the light weight, the thinness, they would always say that HTC copied, and say that thicker and heavier feels better in hand... I have no idea why they liked the 920 so much.

I was originally a wp7 user and I would say, stay away from windows phone... The market feels very empty, the Xbox live games are expensive and outdated, you would have to sync music through the computer by a itunes like software called zune. You would have nothing to do with the phone, to me it feels like a symbian...

In my opinion, the 8x and 920 are slow, after pressing the home button, you have to wait for the animation to end before you can swipe, unlike the old wp7 where you can swipe when the animation is still going.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

jesr
Old
Thanks Meter 267
Here we go

HTC M7 to ditch megapixels in favour of Ultrapixels

Quote:
HTC is to use a new camera sensor on its much-rumoured HTC M7 smartphone, Pocket-lint can confirm, that will use what the company calls Ultrapixels.

Although rumours currently suggest that the new smartphone will use a 13-megapixel sensor, sources familiar with the matter have told Pocket-lint that won't be the case. Well, not exactly.

The new camera will instead be made up of three 4.3-megapixel sensor layers that are used to combine into a single resulting image. Three lots of 4.3 may add up to around 13-megapixels, but images from HTC's latest won't be larger than 4.3-megapixels in size.

The technique, similar to that used by Sigma in the Foveon X3 sensor, means that three lots of data can represent one final pixel. All that extra data can be intelligently "combined" to generate a crisper, cleaner image with better colour accuracy.

The technique is also close to the way Nokia can handle image data with the camera in the 808 PureView, or Fujifilm's EXR system in its compact cameras - but both companies opt for a more conventional sensor structure.

The HTC could lie somewhere between these variety of techniques.

The Ultrapixel sensor is expected to be a core feature of the new M7 smartphone - the name of which is still to be officially confirmed - and, presumably, the way that HTC will stop consumers being confused that its new flagship phone will only come with what, on the surface, is a 4-megapixel sensor.

Nokia had a similar issue with the Nokia 808 Pureview's boasts of a 41-megapixel sensor which was only available in one mode, whereas the smartphone's more common settings would restrict output to 8-megapixels which boasted greater clarity.

Ultrapixel is ultimately remarketing the megapixel. Whether it will become a part of your daily vocabulary from 19 February, well, we'll just have to wait and see...
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jesr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hamdir
Old
Thanks Meter 12429
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1996 View Post
In my opinion, the 8x and 920 are slow, after pressing the home button, you have to wait for the animation to end before you can swipe, unlike the old wp7 where you can swipe when the animation is still going.
this is a fault of the OS, the resume feature most annoying when you come back to Skype or whatapps you have to wait for the app to resume, WTF!

hamdir
Old
Thanks Meter 12429
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesr View Post
Finally some fun info about the M7 thanks!

if it's true this is good effort from HTC and will respond to those concerned with mindless MP increase

Tags
htc one x, knowledge base, nvidia tegra 3, one x, performance, sense 4.x