[Q] Ram

Search This thread

eman5oh

Aug 18, 2010
Google Pixel 6
I was wondering why my nexus 10 only shows around 1.6 gigs of ram this shows with the widget I use and also under setting>apps>running the total is again around 1.6 gig. Is some of the ram reserved for the JVM or similar?

gtaadicto

Feb 19, 2013
León
I have only 1.2 gb of RAM... Stock 4.2.2
uploadfromtaptalk1361294140959.jpg

Capture from few days ago (4.2.1)
uploadfromtaptalk1361294171014.jpg

What is happening?

Enviado desde mi Nexus 10 usando Tapatalk 2

SacGuru

Dec 9, 2012
Pre-4.2.2, out of the 2GB, 400MB was reserved for the GPU. 4.2.2 gives an additional 380 or so MB to the GPU (totaling close to 800MB reserved for the GPU) in order to prevent userspace RAM fragmentation.

Thanks a lot that really helped. I have just got my Nexus 10 a couple of hours ago and was **** scared that I would have to send it back!!!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

kaspar737

Jul 24, 2011
Pre-4.2.2, out of the 2GB, 400MB was reserved for the GPU. 4.2.2 gives an additional 380 or so MB to the GPU (totaling close to 800MB reserved for the GPU) in order to prevent userspace RAM fragmentation.

What does userspace RAM fragmentation mean? Sorry for being noob...

Sent from my LG-P990 using xda app-developers app

iamikon

May 17, 2012
Basically it means when the gpu needs more it doesnt take away from userland aka launcher apps etc. Instead they reserved an extra 400mb for the gpu to help with performance on the crazy hifh resolution

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: kaspar737

Fidelator

Jul 25, 2011
Well, **** I think that they should have let it take away RAM from the user, I keep like 15 tabs open at all times and only having 1.2gigs free causes the browser to run out of memory and crash.

kaspar737

Jul 24, 2011
Well, **** I think that they should have let it take away RAM from the user, I keep like 15 tabs open at all times and only having 1.2gigs free causes the browser to run out of memory and crash.

Weird, Android should keep all tabs open and reload them if you want to see them. My phone does exactly that.

Sent from my LG-P990 using xda app-developers app

styckx

Sep 15, 2010

15 tabs open is considered excessive on a laptop and low end desktops. Let alone a tablet. As is the case though when it was allowed to rob from the userspace RAM is it was fragmenting it.. Which in a lot of cases probably left you with less usable RAM then you get now.

Fragmented RAM = There is free RAM but because it isnt a contiguous block the OS can't use it. It's sits there completely wasted until x-y-z happens.

Two great pictures showing what fragmented memory is and why it's a problem. These are about Netware servers but the same principles apply.. Fragmentation = Bad and a waste of space.

External Fragmentation

2ggr3Gg.gif

Internal Fragmentation

VyW4Fy0.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Fidelator

Fidelator

Jul 25, 2011
15 tabs open is considered excessive on a laptop and low end desktops. Let alone a tablet. As is the case though when it was allowed to rob from the userspace RAM is it was fragmenting it.. Which in a lot of cases probably left you with less usable RAM then you get now.

Fragmented RAM = There is free RAM but because it isnt a contiguous block the OS can't use it. It's sits there completely wasted until x-y-z happens.

Two great pictures showing what fragmented memory is and why it's a problem. These are about Netware servers but the same principles apply.. Fragmentation = Bad and a waste of space.

External Fragmentation

2ggr3Gg.gif

Internal Fragmentation

VyW4Fy0.gif

I usually keep at least 25 tabs open in my first gen i5 laptop without problems (I have 6gbs of RAM though).
And damn that sucks, but would the the unusable RAM ever reach 400mbs?

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
I usually keep at least 25 tabs open in my first gen i5 laptop without problems (I have 6gbs of RAM though).
And damn that sucks, but would the the unusable RAM ever reach 400mbs?

That I can't answer.. I just would be illogically guessing at that point.

Yeah, extra RAM helps on the PC end of things with browser tabs.. It can start bogging down on the CPU though with ads, flash, and scripts running. :laugh: My ADD can't deal with more then 4 tabs at once.. I'd go nuts with 25. :laugh:

iamikon

May 17, 2012
I would also suggest a lighterweight browser. I use lightning browser mostly. And chrome beta only when a page doesn't render something properly in lightning.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's said that the other 400MB or so is strictly for the GPU
    Basically it means when the gpu needs more it doesnt take away from userland aka launcher apps etc. Instead they reserved an extra 400mb for the gpu to help with performance on the crazy hifh resolution

External Fragmentation

2ggr3Gg.gif

Internal Fragmentation

VyW4Fy0.gif