Will Ouya Have Android Launcher?

Search This thread
A

asdert12

Hi everyone im thinking about buying an ouya but i wanted to know if you can acess the android launcher?

Thanks In advance!

okmijnlp

Oct 15, 2011
Probably not. But since it's hackable I'm sure it's possible one way or another.

Sent from my CM9 powered monster!

Reactions: camo_flage

mistermentality

Sep 13, 2010
Pontypridd
www.google.com
Hi everyone im thinking about buying an ouya but i wanted to know if you can acess the android launcher?

Thanks In advance!

No they are using a modified version of ics with a completely customised front end as opposed to just a launcher that can be replaced.

However there will be modders who can make it access traditional android launcher and play store but no it won't officially and will only do so unofficially once people have had device to hack it.

Dave

( http://www.google.com/producer/editions/CAownKXmAQ/bigfatuniverse )

Sent from my LG P920 using Tapatalk 2

Chrizzly92

Jul 18, 2012
Dresden
www.generationblood.de
didn't they say its fully open source and rooted? im sure someone will bring different launchers to the console, maybe not a day after the release, but im pretty sure that will be possible. Now the question is, most of our launchers are touch-based, i can not imagine how you can use them with a gamepad.

Spiral_ouT

Sep 20, 2011
Los Angeles, California
didn't they say its fully open source and rooted? im sure someone will bring different launchers to the console, maybe not a day after the release, but im pretty sure that will be possible. Now the question is, most of our launchers are touch-based, i can not imagine how you can use them with a gamepad.

Plug in a PS3 or Xbox controller to your Android device and you'll find out :p Most, if not all, launchers work with a controller. Hitting the navigation pad/stick moves from one icon to the next.

Last edited:

IBNobody

Sep 20, 2010
didn't they say its fully open source and rooted?

It's not fully open source.

http://www.ouya.tv/the-o-word/
Please note that we’re still working on releasing the source code for various elements of the ODK — and since some of it is compiled object code, you won’t have access (at least not today) to every single line we’ve written. We want to be sure things are in really great shape before we release code. Also, we will be holding back some sections of the code to preserve the security of OUYA, especially when it comes to payments for developers and gamers.

It is fully rootable, but it doesn't come rooted.

For hackers: root it. Go ahead. Your warranty is safe. Even the hardware is hackable. Want to get inside? You’ll need a standard screwdriver and nothing more. Go to town. We have standard USB ports and Bluetooth, so you’ll even be able to create your own peripherals.

Prack

Dec 6, 2010
Lino Lakes, MN
It's not locked down in any way so I'm pretty sure someone will code a custom launcher for it. May not be ADW or NOVA but I am sure someone will make one.

mromutt

Jan 18, 2011

using a keyboard and mouse works well in any launcher so it wouldn't be to hard to work

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

So it looks like it will be some heavily modified android UI, like the original kindle fire?

looks like a hybrd of a cross bar system and the old style app menu, looked very nicely done though. is that the one you saw?

unixon

Nov 8, 2012
Metro Detroit
I could have sworn that an official from the team said something about stock launchers. The product is supposedly going to be launched with an easily unlocked mechanism for quick and powerful tweaking. This is supposed to be day one. Keep up on their blog, and ask for this on their social channels, my advice. They are definitely involved c:

mingolianbeef

Apr 14, 2011
If you want the ouya launcher download the SDK from OUYA.tv and install the framework and launcher via regular side load. Proven to work on the nexus 7 and I can vouch for the Nook tablet 16GB from first hand experience. Does not look good on a phone though. In order to run the latest addition you need android 4.1+

Sent from my PG86100 using xda app-developers app

BraydenJames

Mar 8, 2011
Utah
play.google.com
I sideloaded Nova Launcher very easily onto my Ouya. No modification needed. Works great. Little difficult to navigate with the controller, but definitely doable. Can access your Ouya games there and everything. Much more smooth than the Ouya launcher, that's for sure.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Probably not. But since it's hackable I'm sure it's possible one way or another.

Sent from my CM9 powered monster!
    Could the OUYA launcher be ported to an Android tablet or smartphone?
    I would pay if ADW, Nova or Apex created a OUYA specific launcher...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
    Does your ouya have to be rooted to accomplish using nova launcher?
    I have figured out how to side load using dropbox, uploading apk's from my phone then using the browser to access the web version to pull down the apk's then installing.
    TIA.

Burst transmission originating from nexus 4 android device via tapa 2

Nova will work on stock android. You should use ES file explorer to do your sideload apps. It can directly access Dropbox and has an app management tool.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2