[MOD] [JB4.1.2/4.2/CM10] Thyrus Mod Thread (Navbar/Mods/CM10 Themes) (updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

polobunny

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
I have to say I love your black theme. I don't really need the transparency, but it's about time someone does a good, simple black theme that themes people + mms properly without adding too much stuff and detract from Holo minimalism. It looks amazing on my NS.

One issue though, which could always be related to the fact I'm using it on the Nexus S on JB 4.2, the notification drawer seems to be completely opaque. I sadly didn't know of your theme prior to making the switch from CM10 to 10.1, so I don't know if it was already like that. Any idea?

Either way, thanks for the theme, I can sleep in peace. :p

Reactions: HereticSins
T

Thyrus

Hi guys,

I will need some testers.

Whilst there are some limitations when it comes to theming of certain apps (calendar.apk and email.apk), I have spent around 20 hours on modifying my theme to enable some more blackness.

The biggest change will be related to email.apk -> but I also, in the process, redefined the "holo-light" theme (so the whiteish/greyish submenus, menus, lists etc) so that I have de-facto tricked it into applying the "holo.dark" theme. This change is applied across the entire system, meaning that all apps that use the "holo-light" theme will, to degree, now use black headers, black lists and selectors etc.

However, as this is a pretty heavy change (and could affect many apps I dont use), can you please test this theme for me before I launch it on the market? All apps use either holo.dark or holo.light (i.e email/calendar use holo.light) as well as most market apps.

if you are up for it...

- reset your theme (ie. select system theme from theme chooser, then reboot)
- download and install the attached apk, it will replace my theme if you use the one from the market
- apply my theme, then reboot
- and test away and provide me with as much feedback as you can.

Cheers
DOWNLOAD test version HERE

orihuri

Feb 5, 2011
tel aviv
Re: [MOD][JB4.1.2/4.2/CM10] Thyrus Mod Thread (Navbar/Mods/CM10 Themes) (updated)

Hi thyrus. Im testinging the latest one on my nexus 7 running aokp rom. The people app is perfect as before both portrait and landscape.
The email apk is kinda messed up and calender got only the header themed. Here are the screen shots. I'll let you know if i find anything else

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360085357998.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360085357998.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 224
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360085376233.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360085376233.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 218

polobunny

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
Hi guys,

I will need some testers.

Whilst there are some limitations when it comes to theming of certain apps (calendar.apk and email.apk), I have spent around 20 hours on modifying my theme to enable some more blackness.

The biggest change will be related to email.apk -> but I also, in the process, redefined the "holo-light" theme (so the whiteish/greyish submenus, menus, lists etc) so that I have de-facto tricked it into applying the "holo.dark" theme. This change is applied across the entire system, meaning that all apps that use the "holo-light" theme will, to degree, now use black headers, black lists and selectors etc.

However, as this is a pretty heavy change (and could affect many apps I dont use), can you please test this theme for me before I launch it on the market? All apps use either holo.dark or holo.light (i.e email/calendar use holo.light) as well as most market apps.

if you are up for it...

- reset your theme (ie. select system theme from theme chooser, then reboot)
- download and install the attached apk, it will replace my theme if you use the one from the market
- apply my theme, then reboot
- and test away and provide me with as much feedback as you can.

Cheers
DOWNLOAD test version HERE

Will need to test this baby. It would be wonderful if we could eliminate the needed for black themed apps!

T

Thyrus

Will need to test this baby. It would be wonderful if we could eliminate the needed for black themed apps!

Hi kind testers,

Thanks to the feedback provided so far.

The most common issues reported are:

- Grey font in menus and submenus as well as in the apps itself (gmail/email composing for example)
Reason:
I have, in my redirects, redirected most of the action bars/submenus to "thinking" they are indeed using the holo black style instead of the holo white. As a consequence, I have used grey to ensure that I do not get any white-on-white or black-on-black in the hundreds of apps/menus.
Can I fix it?
I do agree that this is not ideal, in my newest test version I have changed this, and it probably will work with the majority of menus and apps -> but there are some cases where this does not work - examples are some apps have hardcoded "modifications" of font colors etc that differ from the style settings in the layout of holo dark and holo light, and I would have to amend these on a case-by-case basis and I will never be able to ensure ALL apps are ok.

- Hard-to-see menu/send icons
Reason:
Android has mutliple icons, most for use when using "holo light" or "holo dark" style -> so in fact most icons are duplicated, one lighter and one darker in the framework-res.apk.
Now, given I have had to work around this when applying this universal theming trick, I have redirected some of these icons to use the "dark" even when the system calls for a light theme to be applied. The issue reels its ugly head when an app uses the dark and light action bars (the top action bar should be fine, but the lower one may have the wrong icons used.
Can I fix it?
I have made some modifications but more work is needed but I do not think this will work 100% all the time.

Tablet dual pane windows (one dark, other pane white)
Reason:
In the calendar app and the email app, as well as in other google apps, the "light" theme is hardcoded in an area of the app that we themers cannot touch using theme chooser (example: hardcoded in manifest of app). Now as far as the email app is concerned I was able to fix some of that (i.e. on phone the list is black, the email individually still have a black background as this hardcoded in an area we cannot alter.) On a tablet, this obviously looks wrong and I am afraid there is nothing I can do about that.

Conclusion:
Given that this attempt will, ultimately, lead to a compromise one way or the other and may affect many different apps, I will continue to toy around with the idea of a universal theme trick for blacked out apps. However, I do not think I will publish this version on the market, the majority of the approx. 50.000 users of my theme will not read xda threads to understand why some apps may look out of place.

So, in conclusion, if you are up for "what we can do" and live with compromises, you will find the latest versions of my theme in this thread and they will be enhanced compared to the one on the market.

Latest version is attached for perusal.

Version 60 of my ThyrusHoloBlack theme

itasoulas

Nov 3, 2011
Athens
www.youtube.com
hey thyrus,

test version seems ok. Things to consider revising/adding for future releases:

-- black navigation tab bar on browser
-- add black market, youtube, gmail and deskclock

email looks good, no problems. framework is ok.

Last edited:

Rimmir

Jan 22, 2011
Ann Arbor, MI
Hey, I am running version 60 (posted in this thread) and the names in my People app are white and I can't see them (the workaround is checking contacts through the phone app, which works fine)...

T

Thyrus

Hey, I am running version 60 (posted in this thread) and the names in my People app are white and I can't see them (the workaround is checking contacts through the phone app, which works fine)...

which ROM is that then? CM10.1 nightlies for your device and AOKP usually have the themeable contact.apk/people app included...

version 61 of ThyrusHoloBlack TEST theme
- includes all changes from market version
- Still has the test modifications to theme.holo-light and Email.apk
- Now uses seperate signature/manifest so can co-exist with ThyrusHoloBlack market version

DOWNLOAD Version 61 of ThyrusHolo Test

No keyboard version will follow

Rimmir

Jan 22, 2011
Ann Arbor, MI
Re: [MOD][JB4.1.2/4.2/CM10] Thyrus Mod Thread (Navbar/Mods/CM10 Themes) (updated)

which ROM is that then? CM10.1 nightlies for your device and AOKP usually have the themeable contact.apk/people app included...

Running maddoggin's 4.2.1 ROM, I think it's AOSP based with cherry picks from cm10

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

T

Thyrus

Running maddoggin's 4.2.1 ROM, I think it's AOSP based with cherry picks from cm10

well he forgot to pick the right cherry picks then as standard asop 4.2.1 and 4.2.2 do not have "themeable" contacts, resulting in white-on-white...

You can try to grab the CM10 people app and flash that... or ask the theme author to cherry pick the right commits...

Rimmir

Jan 22, 2011
Ann Arbor, MI

Okay, I'll look into getting the cm 10 apps

Rimmir

Jan 22, 2011
Ann Arbor, MI
well he forgot to pick the right cherry picks then as standard asop 4.2.1 and 4.2.2 do not have "themeable" contacts, resulting in white-on-white...

You can try to grab the CM10 people app and flash that... or ask the theme author to cherry pick the right commits...

Downloaded the latest toroplus nightly on a computer and extracted it and got the Contacts.apk. Seems to have fixed the color. Thanks for the rapid response!

T

Thyrus

Right then - feedback needed fellow users.

When adapting the Google Now app and the widget, I have also modified the standard persistent homescreen search widget (the whiteish one) to the new design. Obviously depends much on the wallpaper, so here are three WPs

tcXvUwA.jpg

tcSygbR.jpg

VWAeurL.png

zLKDLf8.png

let me know what you guys think....

Teadious

Oct 11, 2012

Right then - feedback needed fellow users.

When adapting the Google Now app and the widget, I have also modified the standard persistent homescreen search widget (the whiteish one) to the new design. Obviously depends much on the wallpaper, so here are three WPs

let me know what you guys think....

Looks pretty nice IMO. Also, could you gimme dem wallpapers? :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Maybe I'm a little late to this party, but was there a request for the enabled quick setting tiles to be blue instead if white? Kinda hard to tell the difference from ones that are on from ones that are off. Looking great otherwise thanks for this theme, love it!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    thought about that - but I really do not want to compete with AOKP/CM and such guys ... my mod is merely there for me (shared with you) and I will let the devs to their thing enabling these customisations when they launch CM and AOKP based on 4.1.1

Not really competiting. It's all open source, if anything... you're contributing :)
    just a suggestion since it would benefit the users and yourself for not creating 10 other variants of your original and letting the user choose what they want.
    I love this mod, since it has the menu soft key always visible; however I would like to know if the soft button for menu can be changed for something like this:

In blue color of course and a 36dpi format :fingers-crossed:
    I'd be damn happy and thankful if you could make one with menu enabled and always visible on right side. Navkeys color doesn't matter :angel:

You can use V2. There you have menu enabled right side

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
    I have the old gnex with the kitkat 4.4.2 cyanogenmod rom installed.

I like the black backround in the settings.

But:

When i activate the theme all works fine but on the statusbar all icons are white except the phone signal icon that is unfortunately still blue.

How can i change this?

Or is this theme not made for kitkat 4.4.2??

It's not made for KitKat. It's a JB theme.
    Here's Thyrus KK Black Theme
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.template.theme.ThyrusHoloKKDonate