Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[GUIDE] Fixing Audio Jack + Wiring Info

OP d4rkkn16ht

18th January 2011, 12:07 PM   |  #1  
d4rkkn16ht's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Bandung
Thanks Meter: 42
 
289 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2008
Donate to Me
More
I've search about this,but I find only questions without proper answer.
Some answers are correct but not clear enough,at least for me (at that time).

So I decided to create this thread to help others who get the same problem with me.
WARNING:
Using Soldering Iron is required.
Don't do this if you are not used to a soldering iron.
Or you can ask someone with the capability using this guide.


THE PROBLEM:
Audio Jack/cable is somewhat broken or audio somewhat has noise or no audio at all.

THE SOLUTIONS:
  1. Buy a new headset
  2. Fix it yourself

To fix it yourself you need to know 3 things:
  1. Where the damage(s) is(are).
  2. Type of Jack
  3. Wiring Diagram

Locating the damage:
  1. Open the remote control using your finger nail.
  2. Use a Multimeter (set it to resistance meter) to locate which connection is broken.
    (Follow the Multimeter link if you don't know what it is).
  3. If you/your parents don't have a Multimeter, try using a small light bulb (1.5volt),an AA battery, a piece of PVC pipe (the length of the battery) & 2 pieces of cable (15 cm / 6 inches each would be enough).
    Try to build a flashlight with that,but use the other cable as a tester by connecting it to only 1 side of the battery.
  4. If the broken part is/are the earpiece part,then you are lucky
    It's easier to fix & there is someone already posting about it here.
  5. Else...some soldering is needed.
  6. You'll need 3.5mm TRRS Jack (not the ordinary TRS jack)
  7. Cut the Jack part & peel the cable.
    You'll find 6 wires after peeling the cable.
  8. Check it first (using a Multimeter) if the wires are not the broken part.
  9. If the wire(s) is(are) the broken part,You'll need a cable with the same structure (6 wires/sub cables inside)

Fixing:

Jack Diagram:
1 2 3 4 ______
< = = =|______|-------> Cable

  1. Tip --> Left Channel
  2. First Ring --> Right Channel
  3. Second Ring --> Ground
  4. Sleeve --> Microphone

Wiring Diagram:
  1. Green --> Left Channel (+)
  2. Red --> Right Channel (+)
  3. Blue --> Right Channel (-),
    Red-Blue(inside the shielded one) -->Left Channel(-),
    Copper --> Microphone (-)
  4. White --> Microphone (+)

Solder the wire sequentially according to both diagrams.
It work very nice,even the remote control

I hope it helps
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to d4rkkn16ht For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd January 2011, 12:15 PM   |  #2  
d4rkkn16ht's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Bandung
Thanks Meter: 42
 
289 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2008
Donate to Me
More
Up Up & away
Last edited by d4rkkn16ht; 27th January 2011 at 07:42 AM.
11th September 2011, 06:45 AM   |  #3  
ohayyam's Avatar
Member
Flag Kocaeli
Thanks Meter: 5
 
71 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rkkn16ht

I've search about this,but I find only questions without proper answer.
Some answers are correct but not clear enough,at least for me (at that time).

So I decided to create this thread to help others who get the same problem with me.
WARNING:
Using Soldering Iron is required.
Don't do this if you are not used to a soldering iron.
Or you can ask someone with the capability using this guide.


THE PROBLEM:
Audio Jack/cable is somewhat broken or audio somewhat has noise or no audio at all.

THE SOLUTIONS:

  1. Buy a new headset
  2. Fix it yourself

To fix it yourself you need to know 3 things:
  1. Where the damage(s) is(are).
  2. Type of Jack
  3. Wiring Diagram

Locating the damage:
  1. Open the remote control using your finger nail.
  2. Use a Multimeter (set it to resistance meter) to locate which connection is broken.
    (Follow the Multimeter link if you don't know what it is).
  3. If you/your parents don't have a Multimeter, try using a small light bulb (1.5volt),an AA battery, a piece of PVC pipe (the length of the battery) & 2 pieces of cable (15 cm / 6 inches each would be enough).
    Try to build a flashlight with that,but use the other cable as a tester by connecting it to only 1 side of the battery.
  4. If the broken part is/are the earpiece part,then you are lucky
    It's easier to fix & there is someone already posting about it here.
  5. Else...some soldering is needed.
  6. You'll need 3.5mm TRRS Jack (not the ordinary TRS jack)
  7. Cut the Jack part & peel the cable.
    You'll find 6 wires after peeling the cable.
  8. Check it first (using a Multimeter) if the wires are not the broken part.
  9. If the wire(s) is(are) the broken part,You'll need a cable with the same structure (6 wires/sub cables inside)

Fixing:

Jack Diagram:
1 2 3 4 ______
< = = =|______|-------> Cable

  1. Tip --> Left Channel
  2. First Ring --> Right Channel
  3. Second Ring --> Ground
  4. Sleeve --> Microphone

Wiring Diagram:
  1. Green --> Left Channel (+)
  2. Red --> Right Channel (+)
  3. Blue --> Right Channel (-),
    Red-Blue(inside the shielded one) -->Left Channel(-),
    Copper --> Microphone (-)
  4. White --> Microphone (+)

Solder the wire sequentially according to both diagrams.
It work very nice,even the remote control

I hope it helps

Thank you very much Sir.
The Following User Says Thank You to ohayyam For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th September 2011, 06:32 PM   |  #4  
Hagenlund's Avatar
Member
Flag Oslo
Thanks Meter: 9
 
66 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rkkn16ht

[*]Open the remote control using your finger nail.

What is this remote control you speak of?
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rkkn16ht

[*]You'll need 3.5mm TRRS Jack (not the ordinary TRS jack)

Where would I get such a thing?
15th January 2013, 02:55 PM   |  #5  
Junior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 4
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagenlund

What is this remote control you speak of?


Where would I get such a thing?


I'm assuming he is speaking of the in-line remote/amplifier/vol.control most "gaming headsets" come with.*


Quick Google search of "trrs" shot me to Amazon.com
Last edited by b43k; 16th January 2013 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Entered text withing quote box
7th February 2013, 12:45 AM   |  #6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
thanks, worked like a charm
3rd March 2013, 02:03 PM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domba333

thanks, worked like a charm

Thanks a lot.
19th June 2013, 04:50 PM   |  #8  
khup's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
42 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rkkn16ht

I've search about this,but I find only questions without proper answer.
Some answers are correct but not clear enough,at least for me (at that time).

So I decided to create this thread to help others who get the same problem with me.
WARNING:
Using Soldering Iron is required.
Don't do this if you are not used to a soldering iron.
Or you can ask someone with the capability using this guide.


THE PROBLEM:
Audio Jack/cable is somewhat broken or audio somewhat has noise or no audio at all.

THE SOLUTIONS:

  1. Buy a new headset
  2. Fix it yourself

To fix it yourself you need to know 3 things:
  1. Where the damage(s) is(are).
  2. Type of Jack
  3. Wiring Diagram

Locating the damage:
  1. Open the remote control using your finger nail.
  2. Use a Multimeter (set it to resistance meter) to locate which connection is broken.
    (Follow the Multimeter link if you don't know what it is).
  3. If you/your parents don't have a Multimeter, try using a small light bulb (1.5volt),an AA battery, a piece of PVC pipe (the length of the battery) & 2 pieces of cable (15 cm / 6 inches each would be enough).
    Try to build a flashlight with that,but use the other cable as a tester by connecting it to only 1 side of the battery.
  4. If the broken part is/are the earpiece part,then you are lucky
    It's easier to fix & there is someone already posting about it here.
  5. Else...some soldering is needed.
  6. You'll need 3.5mm TRRS Jack (not the ordinary TRS jack)
  7. Cut the Jack part & peel the cable.
    You'll find 6 wires after peeling the cable.
  8. Check it first (using a Multimeter) if the wires are not the broken part.
  9. If the wire(s) is(are) the broken part,You'll need a cable with the same structure (6 wires/sub cables inside)

Fixing:

Jack Diagram:
1 2 3 4 ______
< = = =|______|-------> Cable

  1. Tip --> Left Channel
  2. First Ring --> Right Channel
  3. Second Ring --> Ground
  4. Sleeve --> Microphone

Wiring Diagram:
  1. Green --> Left Channel (+)
  2. Red --> Right Channel (+)
  3. Blue --> Right Channel (-),
    Red-Blue(inside the shielded one) -->Left Channel(-),
    Copper --> Microphone (-)
  4. White --> Microphone (+)

Solder the wire sequentially according to both diagrams.
It work very nice,even the remote control

I hope it helps

I'm confused with the Wiring diagram in [3] in my case is only the Blue color.So i have to skip this line Red-Blue(inside the shielded one) -->Left Channel(-),Is that so?? I have 4 wires viz. Green, Red,Blue and Copper. Please clarify me if i am wrong.
19th June 2013, 05:26 PM   |  #9  
d4rkkn16ht's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Bandung
Thanks Meter: 42
 
289 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2008
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by khup

I'm confused with the Wiring diagram in [3] in my case is only the Blue color.So i have to skip this line Red-Blue(inside the shielded one) -->Left Channel(-),Is that so?? I have 4 wires viz. Green, Red,Blue and Copper. Please clarify me if i am wrong.

is yours an original HTC handsfree?
every channel should have a pair of (+) & (-) and the original HTC handsfree has 3 channel (left,right & mic/remote)
19th June 2013, 08:36 PM   |  #10  
khup's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
42 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rkkn16ht

is yours an original HTC handsfree?
every channel should have a pair of (+) & (-) and the original HTC handsfree has 3 channel (left,right & mic/remote)

I think it is the original one, it comes with the Box. Left=Green , Right=Red , Ground=Blue & Mic=Copper . Is this how i should connect?? I am still confused as there are only 4 wires.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
3.5mm jack, audio, broken, headset, repair
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes