FORUMS

CloudPlayer: DIY HiFi Music Streaming Solution

In our Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services, we mentioned several different services … more

Optimize Battery Life with This Useful App

Battery life is an important aspect of your smartphone, especially if you use it for more … more

The OnePlus 2 & The Year of Smartphone Compromises

We are very close to entering the last third of 2015, and we have now seen many of … more

OnePlus 2 Teardown, Major Android Vulnerability – XDA TV

The OnePlus 2 has been officially released. That and much more news is … more

G1 FONTS! Post them here!!!!

44 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By thulinhlun, Member on 22nd February 2009, 08:00 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
13th May 2009, 04:05 AM |#91  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 34

More
I haven't tried the screenshots via ADB thing yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast84

Any screenshots of how it looks on the phone?

Just noticed that the new Screenshots app works with Android 1.5.

Last edited by ei8htohms; 13th May 2009 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Added screenshots

13th May 2009, 04:33 AM |#92  
Flag Washington, DC
Thanks Meter: 57

More
AWESOME work. Can we get this stickied?
13th May 2009, 05:22 AM |#93  
Flag Graz

More
Please, someone make a update.zip for JF1.5 !!

@ei8htohms:

Does your Font has symbols like ä ö ü € ?
13th May 2009, 11:01 AM |#94  
Flag NYC

More
yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadBody79

@ei8htohms:

Does your Font has symbols like ?

It should have every symbol that the original DroidSans fonts have, but I can't guarantee that I don't need to tweak a few of them. They were automatically created by Fontforge using the new letters, so the orientation and positioning of the various modifiers might not be ideal.
13th May 2009, 03:15 PM |#95  

More
found this i don't know if maybe you guys have seen this yet or not but here it is anyways there's no bolds but who cares anyways i would just make two files with the same font one saying bold and one not

http://www.webpagepublicity.com/free-fonts-x.html
15th May 2009, 07:16 AM |#96  
Flag Tacoma, WA
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan.tran

My G1 has JF1.5 firmware. I had some problem with the procedure to replace system fonts in the (recovery) console. After some research, I got it working. Here is an update on the procedure.

- Rename font files to DroidSans.ttf and DroidSans-Bold.ttf, place in a subfolder on sdcard. In this example, the subfolder name is newfont.
- Boot to recovery
- Press Alt+X to get into console mode
- Press <Enter>
- Type the following commands:

mount -rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount -rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /sdcard
cp /sdcard/newfont/* /system/fonts
umount sdcard
umount system
reboot

Nathan

+1 Worked perfectly!
Now I have my Star Trek movie font!! (for now!)
15th May 2009, 05:45 PM |#97  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Am I understanding correctly that I can use any TT font and rename it and follow the instructions for the Home+Power button reboot?
15th May 2009, 08:40 PM |#98  
Flag Tacoma, WA
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by burton14e7

Am I understanding correctly that I can use any TT font and rename it and follow the instructions for the Home+Power button reboot?

I use the three buttons to reboot, then hold down the home button.
Then follow those instructions. I have multiple folders on my card, all the names renamed. You can put two copies of the font in there; and rename one DroidSans.ttf and rename the other DroidSans-Bold.ttf

Yes, use what ttf you want. Not all come out clear when small.
Last edited by SoTacMatt; 15th May 2009 at 10:47 PM.
16th May 2009, 02:20 PM |#99  
Flag Murfreesboro, TN
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Here's Droid Logo font as an update.zip... avoid typing credit goes to ei8htohms for posting the .tff file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DroidLogo_update.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.75 MB, 713 views)
17th May 2009, 06:13 PM |#100  
Flag Satellite Beach, Florida
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Great font!
I really like this font. I have been using it since you posted it and I really enjoy looking at the phone now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	device12.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	186200   Click image for larger version

Name:	device6.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	186201   Click image for larger version

Name:	device14.png
Views:	469
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	186202   Click image for larger version

Name:	device.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	186203  
17th May 2009, 07:09 PM |#101  
Flag NYC

More
awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by anddep

Here's Droid Logo font as an update.zip... avoid typing credit goes to ei8htohms for posting the .tff file.

Fantastic, thanks! I keep tweaking it and updating the files, but this version seems to work fine for now. I'll let you know when I've made an incremental improvement that warrants a new update.zip (if you don't mind, maybe I'll have even figured out how to create such a thing myself by that point!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackD3ath

I really like this font. I have been using it since you posted it and I really enjoy looking at the phone now.

It makes me smile to think about other folks out there using this font on their G1. Thanks for the feedback and screenshots!

I'm working on two refinements of the fonts right now:

1.) I need to double check all the math and points locations for consistency of character height and stroke width, etc. The version I'm using right now has some inherited discrepancies in that regard (from resizing it several times) that cause some weird formatting issues every once in awhile. Not catastrophic, but could be better. I plan to apply these fixes to the latest versions of the font already uploaded to make it look cleaner and more consistent across the widest possible range of sizes, etc. I've also fixed some of the oddball characters with accents, umlauts, etc.

2.) I'm going back to the original logo images I can get my hands on and measuring the letter heights, widths and stroke sizes and will generate a new font based explicitly on these dimensions. The goal with this font would be to create a font that when the word "ANDROID" was presented in bold, it would look exactly like the official ANDROID logo, and all other letters would be consistent with those metrics. This will likely be a larger project and may not be all that useful on the phone for a daily driver font (so to speak).

Glad to see some folks are finding it fun/useful!

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread