T-Mobile ending subsidized phones.

Search This thread

Pennycake

Nov 20, 2012
Rupert
I prefer it the way they're going.

However, if people want to be screwed and over-pay for their phones, why not let them and make money off them ?

LiquidGlow

Feb 28, 2010
Actually the promos DO apply. The last sale was a zero down sale, so you get your down payment back as a rebate. So instead of a $600 phone it's only $400. It's no different than a free phone with a higher monthly payment.

Maybe they changed the stipulations of the Value Plan since I switched? I remember when I first switched, the reps told me the promotions don't apply anymore. When I upgraded to my S3 mid-2012, they pretty much reiterated the same thing. I didn't look into the details of that recent promo of zero down but I assumed it just meant they would spread that initial down payment into your subsequent monthly bills.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

jovyishere

Nov 10, 2012
EIP isn't so bad. You make a down payment.. sometimes u get a rebate on the down payment and then you finance the rest of the fone which is usually 15-20 bucks a month for 20 months interest free. What I did also here is that the price of the phone insurance is going up 5 bucks so that really sucks.

brad0112358

Jun 20, 2012
I prefer it the way they're going.

However, if people want to be screwed and over-pay for their phones, why not let them and make money off them ?

The only reason I can think of for eliminating the fully subsidized plans (which seemed to be more expensive overall and thus better for T-Mobile) is to prevent the competition from using the expensive plans in cost comparisons. Somehow I doubt the goal was to save foolish customers money or to eliminate customer confusion

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app

RaymondPJR

Oct 7, 2010
Portland
EIP isn't so bad. You make a down payment.. sometimes u get a rebate on the down payment and then you finance the rest of the fone which is usually 15-20 bucks a month for 20 months interest free. What I did also here is that the price of the phone insurance is going up 5 bucks so that really sucks.

I got a letter from Assurion just a few days ago. The price did not go up, but the deductible did. At least that's how I read it.

DatNizzle

Oct 31, 2010
Problem is the plan is not a lot cheaper.
My family plan would be the same, but my phones costs more. Did I mention it's still under contract?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Pennycake

Nov 20, 2012
Rupert
Problem is the plan is not a lot cheaper.
My family plan would be the same, but my phones costs more. Did I mention it's still under contract?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

You could just buy the phone on your own and do one of the pre-paid plans.

Jan 20, 2011
The TM 30/mo prepaid plan seems pretty nice. Unlimited 4g, text and 100 min. Wish I wasn't on contract now. Could probably save another 30 bucks a month off the value plan.

t3dpott3r

Dec 9, 2012
Los Angeles
I got a letter from Assurion just a few days ago. The price did not go up, but the deductible did. At least that's how I read it.

That's exactly what they said. In some ways I don't mind because I have only had to use the replacement one time in the last 2 years (son dropped my phone down the stairs) and when I did the math I still paid less in those 2yrs at 7.99 a month including the deductible then I would have paid to replace the entire phone.. lol.. but it still sucks knowing that I'll have to pay more if i need to use it again.

The montly insurance price will be staying the same, it's the deductible that's going up.

As for the phone price your right. I just got off the phone with T Mobile and on a samsung galaxy s3 the total payment when eligible for an upgrade is 200 down, 100 dollar mail in rebate, and then 20 dollars a month for 20 months.

The 1 thing that I have heard no 1 mentioned on this thread is something the representative just told me. That although you're being charged 20 dollars a month for 20 months you are also given 15 dollar discount on your internet for 20 months. I don't know if this is something they just started but the same 15 dollar discount on internet was available for me with all of the phones I was looking at.

Also when all is said and done it brings the total price of your phone after discounts and rebates to just over 200 dollars not including taxes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda premium

Last edited:

jcbofkc

Feb 16, 2008
Kansas City
as far as i know, t-mobile has already offer $50 contract free service in NYC. that includes 4g network, unlimit calling, texing, web, etc.
I am current simple mobile user, $40 each month, and it is great!
I am sure if ATT, Verizon, don't take any action, most of their customers will walk way.

Truly unlimited calling, text and 4G WEB? $50? Wow! That is a deal. I can get a similar deal here in KC but they limit the talk minutes to 500 and throttle you on the web after a while. What does Tmobile call the plan? It's not available on their web site either.

Next time I am in NY I may have to change my plan. I wonder how they get away with charging more in Kansas City for a nation wide plan.

I think I will call retentions and find out.

Last edited:

DigitalUnderground

Oct 4, 2012
Yeah I will have to check on that too... I pay like 80-90 for truly unlimited everything

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

rcsrich

Jan 30, 2011
Richmond, VA
You could just buy the phone on your own and do one of the pre-paid plans.

Used to be that with prepaid, you didn't get roaming services- this is pretty consistent across most carriers' prepaid plans. I'm not sure if that's still the case, but it's one big reason why prepaid services are typically cheaper than equivalent postpaid plans.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So u can still get a new phone without paying retail?

Sent from my SGH-T999

Yes and No. ** I do not work for T-Mobile, but this is how I understand things **

EIP has existed for a very long time now and will continue to exist. T-Mobile is simply being upfront with customers instead of building in a subsidy into a rate plan. In almost every case, the customer wins.

Here's one way to look at it. Value Plan + EIP = Classic plan Either way, the upfront costs are similar. In one case, you call it a downpayment, in another you call it a price w/ 2 year contact extension. EIP is typically 20 months, which is better than the 24 months a full blown 2 year extension will be. Again, as far as the initial cost of the phone, the downpayment is essentially equivalent to the previously advertised price of the phone with contract.

This model does a few things from the perspective of a customer. It gives you the option of purchasing phones outright, or opting to get what essentially is a 20 month interest free loan from t-mobile on up to $400 towards the purchase price of a phone. When that loan is paid off, you are left with a nice and small bill for just the services you use, the voice, data, and text services provided by T-Mobile. This opens the door wide open for people to bring unlocked devices over to T-Mobile, and enjoy a low price monthly rate plan. Previously, the best way to do this was to buy an unlocked phone, buy a carrier phone with a 2-year extension, and sell the carrier phone and put that towards the price of the unlocked phone.

This really is a win for pretty much all consumers. People who want a low initial cost can opt for the EIP, people who bring their own devices can choose to do so and enjoy a low monthly rate, and finally people who keep their devices for a long time will enjoy a low rate after they complete their EIP payments.

The only time this is NOT advantageous is if you decide to break the contract prior to the end of the EIP term + value plan contract. For example, if I buy a new phone, start a EIP plan for 20 months, and sign up for a 2 year value plan, I would have to pay a $200 penalty to break the value plan, and also $400 to close out the EIP. Of course, the way to get around this is to sell the phone to repay the EIP.
    They already have offered this its called the "Value Plans", as apposed to the "Classic Plans" the value plans are only offered at t-mobile stores and since sept they have offered a truly unlimited data option on the value plan. thats the plan i have been on since i joined t-mobile in sept. the gs3 for me was 149.99 down with $20 for 20 months. (549.99) and my rate plan is 69.99 for unlimited everything. The one thing i dont like about the value plan is that even though you are paying full price for your phone in the end you are still on a 2 year contract with $200 early termination fee. and if you dont use all the minutes and want to lower your bill thats a whole new 2 year contract. T-mobile really shouldnt due that to its customers.