New Nexus 7 in 2013...Possible specs & would you upgrade?

Search This thread

mustbepbs

Nov 19, 2011
I hope that if they make an updated model, they keep the same form factor. Just bought a Portenzo case :-\

Beorg

Jan 11, 2011
Screen size alone has nothing to do with it.

Retina display is just marketing term coined by Apple to distinguish their otherwise ordinary display range from the competition.

What one would consider a true Retina display, ie. a screen where pixel density is high enough to be indistinguishable for a representative sample of the population, would have to meet many other conditions, and pixel density alone just doesn't cut it. Besides, it doesn't matter what size the display is, perceived pixel density will be dependent on the viewing distance and DPI.

Last edited:

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
Nah not gonna upgrade. Should be known by now that Google updates nexus devices on a yearly basis, I'll keep my Nexus 7 as long as possible

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Azurael

Jan 3, 2008
Bath
S4 Pro isn't 'last gen' - it's 'current gen' until something newer from Qualcomm actually hits the market. Remember T3 wasn't exactly the newest kid on the block when the Nexus 7 was released, I guess that's part of how they keep costs down.

As I said, I don't think I'd upgrade, but having used my N4 for a few days now I'm fairly certain that if APQ8064 goes in the next N7, we can expect a significant increase in battery life even if capacity stayed the same. I got 7 hours screen on out of my N4 yesterday!

Last edited:

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
People forget that the nexus 7 was possible due to Nvidia's Kai project and making the Tegra 3 available for very cheap.

Stop expecting future-gen specs out of a $200 tablet.

The S4 pro would be amazing for this price range. So really. Stop it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

SeaFractor

Jun 16, 2011
SeaTac
Not going to do it, wouldn't be prudent at this juncture....

No upgrade.

Why?

Nexus 7 has enough umph for a 7" tab at the price. In the past I'd rooted a Nook Color and other items, but the underlying processor/graphics performance just wasn't up to a true touchscreen experience.

The Tegra 3 is doing this very well and with the current OS (Jelly Bean 4.2.1 at the moment). I expect to be happy for a while yet. This should be enough for me to jump a complete revision. For example, my next tab might be Nexus 7.3 (factoring 7.2 as the second gen and not screen size).

This is considering that I'm able to still make 8GB of storage rock. I am able to stream my content fast enough with my home network and there's enough for when I'm on long trips. Granted a I can't have all my games installed at once, but I tend to work on one until it's completed. I'm still working to finish Marvel Avengers as the Hulk.

So, nope, no upgrade yet. However, I'd sure like a Nexus Q if one is released again at a good price range.

ekswhyzed

Feb 9, 2013
I just got my N7 a couple of months ago and I'm quite happy with it. I'm running m-kernel and paranoid. sometimes it can be a little sluggish though, and the newer chips coming out seem to offer a completely lag free experience. oh how id like that. and Miracast, that'd be good.

dr.m0x

Oct 28, 2010
Auckland
Don't think I'd bother to upgrade. My nexus 7 only does light stuff like web browsing and reading e-books, and it fits that purpose just fine.

krew760

Nov 6, 2012
Just got my N7 16 gb less than two weeks ago and I'm loving it.. I wouldn't upgrade if a updated model were to come out though.. If anything, I'd probably upgrade to a new N10 haha.. Gonna get an OTG cable soon and hook up a 32gb flash drive to expand the storage.. Only flaw with this thing imo.. :good:

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
My thing is if I planned on buying another tablet this year, I might have gotten something else, but I got a nexus knowing it would be supported for 2 years. There's always going to be new hardware and let's face it, there will be a replacement offered this year, and if you don't already have a nexus 7, then go for it but I'm sticking with the 7 until I feel the need to upgrade it, maybe after the warranty is up and battery life is shot, etc. Because even after google cuts it off its still going to get developer support!

ironknuckles

Nov 20, 2012

There's a lot of rumor specs now that are floating around the internet of the imminent Nexus 7 II. And it actually sad to hear, cause I just got mine 3 weeks ago and it'll be sold the same price as the Nexus 7 1st gen with upgrades. Lol.

I've heard that it'll have a full HD resolution 1080p which is awesome, but it also means larger video files to truly take advantage of that. The memory storage problem is now solved with OTG so that's not an important upgrade. They might give it a better graphics engine for gaming.

I don't really care about the built in speaker cause I use my earphone like 90% of the time.

I just want the Nexus 7 II to come on top in comes to display, color depth, and video graphics. Everything else can be retain.
I might get it maybe after 2 years? hehe. Or maybe when they release the 3rd gen. Right now the 1st gen is a solid tablet that can give my needs in terms of multimedia activities.

plbelanger

Dec 27, 2008
Washington
There's a lot of rumor specs now that are floating around the internet of the imminent Nexus 7 II. And it actually sad to hear, cause I just got mine 3 weeks ago and it'll be sold the same price as the Nexus 7 1st gen with upgrades. Lol.

I've heard that it'll have a full HD resolution 1080p which is awesome, but it also means larger video files to truly take advantage of that. The memory storage problem is now solved with OTG so that's not an important upgrade. They might give it a better graphics engine for gaming.

I don't really care about the built in speaker cause I use my earphone like 90% of the time.

I just want the Nexus 7 II to come on top in comes to display, color depth, and video graphics. Everything else can be retain.
I might get it maybe after 2 years? hehe. Or maybe when they release the 3rd gen. Right now the 1st gen is a solid tablet that can give my needs in terms of multimedia activities.

Why do you feel it's sad? If a new nexus 7 is shown at Google IO in May that will have been almost an entire year which is pretty standard for tech upgrades nowadays. Nexus phone line has always gotten yearly upgrades so it makes perfect sense. No reason to be sad you can continue using your n7 happily...there is no reason to upgrade if you don't feel the need :)

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

They should make the screen a little bigger. 7.7 would be nice. That .7 would make a real difference I think.

I think the size is perfect. I can fit it in my pocket comfortably. Looks a bit odd but it fits lol. Main things I want:

1) Better build quality - I had 2 bad units out the box
2) 1080p display w/ a better screen. N7 screen feels a bit washed out in colors
3) Thinner/lighter is always better though the n7 itself is fine
4) Availability. I hate how the n4 is so hard to get. Release day was horrible trying to order one. From experience, ordering anything on play store on day 1 is a nightmare. Get the n7 in retail stores asap.

devstorm

Feb 11, 2013
Only if it has a better screen and better battery.

Also as long as that nvidia prism thing is taken out, the screen should be better from the start (no more washed colors after watching movies).

ghost02

Jan 19, 2011
We will probably get software upgrades with the new releases anyway, for my usage the performance is more than enough, with the screen was a bit more vivid though.

Element515

Jun 26, 2011
If they make it will, I may go for it. The headphone jack on this tablet is annoying, you have to jam it in to get stereo sound. And, I I'm living with 16gb,but 32 is certainly more ideal. I should have sold this before the 32 came out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why cant we just be happy with the device we have now..
    Enjoy what you have now and not chase the future... You will never be able to be content with what you have other wise..

Come on Nexus 4 Erica Needs a new Phone... :eek:
    1. Decent camera on the back. I know (some) people don't see the use - but in small 7" devices, it could easily serve as a camera and analogue sharing device (showing the pictures you took, on a plane or whatever). If it had a camera, I would use it, and I would carry my N7 with me everywhere.

2. Built in kickstand. Surface has it. Make it happen and I <3 you.

3. Whatever is the fastest processor at the time of release. I don't care which chip. Use a Tegra, Exxnos, whatever. Don't care about the details. Fastest. period.

4. More storage space, but 16/32 is a good place at the moment. 32/64 would be more reasonable of course.

5. Move the power button away from the volume controls. I can't even count the number of times I've hit standby when I meant to hit VolUp. Maybe I need to pay more attention, but this could be easily relocated as well. Maybe bottom left or right, near the microUSB port?

6. The screen is fantastic as it stands. I'm not sure what can be improved while keeping this aspect ratio and screen size. It is plenty vibrant and bright enough (although the auto-brightness is too dark in most situations).

7. The back could be a bit grippy-er even. I like being able to hold it easily with one-hand while lying down. It is the best tablet-backing material I have ever felt, but it could be even better. Maybe a different texture could help /shrug.

8. Multi-color LED indicator light. Vibrator (whatever it is called) for haptic feedback.

9. Variable pressure stylus compatibility, pen sold separately to keep costs down.

10. Induction charging compatibility.

But lets get real - the Nexus 7 as it stands is an AMAZING device. I would not switch it for a slight upgrade (a la iPhone 4S to 5).
    So Android 4.2 Jelly Bean is out of Google's kitchen, and us sugar fiends will have to wait until summer 2013 for our next big rush, which leads me onto the replacement for the Nexus 7, which given the cut-throat competition is a certainty.

So here are my dream specs, which are based on upcoming technology and some common sense!, give me this Google and you've got my money.

1) Bigger screen, but same size chassis as Nexus 7, thin bezels are sexy:p

2) Tegra 4 quad-core & 2GB RAM. Tegra 3 might not have been the most powerful beast, but it has served us well, and Nvidia game support is always a plus.

3) Resolution full HD - 1920 x 1080 and Miracast. You just know that the next iPad mini will retina up their screen, so lets not fall behind.

4) Faster I/O. Moving away from crappy eMMC to the newest µSSD SATA, which will result in two to three times the performance of current storage tech, as many N7 owners will tell you slow I/O really bottlenecks system performance.

5) With all this tasty hardware you need equally tasty software enter Android 5.0 - Key Lime Pie.

So would these specs tempt you to buy or are you happy enough with the 'old' Nexus 7?
    People forget that the nexus 7 was possible due to Nvidia's Kai project and making the Tegra 3 available for very cheap.

Stop expecting future-gen specs out of a $200 tablet.

The S4 pro would be amazing for this price range. So really. Stop it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    So Android 4.2 Jelly Bean is out of Google's kitchen, and us sugar fiends will have to wait until summer 2013 for our next big rush, which leads me onto the replacement for the Nexus 7, which given the cut-throat competition is a certainty.

So here are my dream specs, which are based on upcoming technology and some common sense!, give me this Google and you've got my money.

1) Bigger screen, but same size chassis as Nexus 7, thin bezels are sexy:p

2) Tegra 4 quad-core & 2GB RAM. Tegra 3 might not have been the most powerful beast, but it has served us well, and Nvidia game support is always a plus.

3) Resolution full HD - 1920 x 1080, you just know that the next iPad mini will retina up their screen, so lets not fall behind.

4) Faster I/O. Moving away from crappy eMMC to the newest µSSD SATA, which will result in two to three times the performance of current storage tech, as many N7 owners will tell you slow I/O really bottlenecks system performance.

5) With all this tasty hardware you need equally tasty software enter Android 5.0 - Key Lime Pie.

So would these specs tempt you to buy or are you happy enough with the 'old' Nexus 7?
    1. No the bezel is functional. Functionality over visual. I.E the iPad minis non bezeld display is a pain in the ass to hold one handed.

2. FCK Nvidia. Would rather have an S4. Or S5.

3. Seriously 1080p screens I can dig it but not necessary honestly. Our nexus 7 is already a retina quality display. And retina is a fancy zinger for high quality display.

4.SSD would be neat you got me there :)

5. Unlikely I'm sure we won't see it until the end of 2013. I would expect 4.2.x updates like gingerbread.

If this did come out for a reasonable price id possibly buy it. Can't say I wouldn't want to but hey this is just dreaming. :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus