Nabi 2 Teardown

Search This thread

DZLRULZ

Jan 15, 2011
S.E. MI
I have had random days of poor battery life with no use even. Most days though, battery life is great even with heavy use.

I ran system stats live wallpaper for a few days to try to diagnose but didn't see any strange behavior.

Struck by my Anthrax Infected Viper4G Ev_O_nE using Forum Runner

skull791

Dec 5, 2012
We do? Because personally, I've found battery life nothing short of stunning.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 AM ----------

If you could get a replacement screen for a few bucks people wouldn't be selling broken tabs for $40 on eBay.

The screen is probably the second most expensive component behind the motherboard with CPU.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

knoxploration, I'm sorry maybe I came off hard in my statement about the battery, but ,my son can kill this tablet in 3 hours of non stop use. I have 3 nabi2 and they are all like that my kids destroys battery life on them. Speaking nothing but the truth. I don't think that all my tablets are defected. Do you? I do run them at full brightness and wifi on, as lot of apps use wifi. So I do think that the battery is pretty bad for a device that should last for a road trip. What about other tablets that can last 8+ hours. Lets face it if you use your tablet at 40% of brightness and you only do Internet searching they maybe you can get 8hr. as soon you run something with high graphic, tablets suck life out of that battery. If you go to nabi facebook page that is the biggest complaint about the tablets. I did ask on there and highest run time i have from people with kids was 4.5hr so tablet dose not live up to its 6hr expectation. This are kids and they not going to close all apps, and they will leave them running in the background.

And if it comes to the screen. Yes you can get them on ebay.Once I found were exactly $35.00. Unfortunately they are nabi1 not 2 screens. So yes you can probably do it when they become available. Also Nabi charges $85 for complete screen replacement.

Not trying to start anything here just trying to help. Was hoping for some replays from people that know what are the rest of the wires are for so i can improve our tablets. Actually get enough battery life to be able to drive across country and keep kids quite. Just trying to help and get people involve so nabi2 can be a great tablet not just good.

DarkAngel

Aug 1, 2006
Arizona
knoxploration, I'm sorry maybe I came off hard in my statement about the battery, but ,my son can kill this tablet in 3 hours of non stop use. I have 3 nabi2 and they are all like that my kids destroys battery life on them. Speaking nothing but the truth. I don't think that all my tablets are defected. Do you? I do run them at full brightness and wifi on, as lot of apps use wifi. So I do think that the battery is pretty bad for a device that should last for a road trip. What about other tablets that can last 8+ hours. Lets face it if you use your tablet at 40% of brightness and you only do Internet searching they maybe you can get 8hr. as soon you run something with high graphic, tablets suck life out of that battery. If you go to nabi facebook page that is the biggest complaint about the tablets. I did ask on there and highest run time i have from people with kids was 4.5hr so tablet dose not live up to its 6hr expectation. This are kids and they not going to close all apps, and they will leave them running in the background.

And if it comes to the screen. Yes you can get them on ebay.Once I found were exactly $35.00. Unfortunately they are nabi1 not 2 screens. So yes you can probably do it when they become available. Also Nabi charges $85 for complete screen replacement.

Not trying to start anything here just trying to help. Was hoping for some replays from people that know what are the rest of the wires are for so i can improve our tablets. Actually get enough battery life to be able to drive across country and keep kids quite. Just trying to help and get people involve so nabi2 can be a great tablet not just good.

For the time being, if battery life is your main concern, they do sell the car charger kit and the power bank for the nabi.

Specs for the adapters are:

Wall and Car Combo Charger:
Wall Charger - AC In: 100/240V DC Out: 5V 2.1A
Car Charger - DC In: 12-14V DC Out: 5V 2.1A

The Power Bank is 7800 mAh and uses your provided USB cable to charge or provide more power to your nabi for extended play.

Reactions: skull791

skull791

Dec 5, 2012
For the time being, if battery life is your main concern, they do sell the car charger kit and the power bank for the nabi.

Specs for the adapters are:

Wall and Car Combo Charger:
Wall Charger - AC In: 100/240V DC Out: 5V 2.1A
Car Charger - DC In: 12-14V DC Out: 5V 2.1A

The Power Bank is 7800 mAh and uses your provided USB cable to charge or provide more power to your nabi for extended play.

Thanks darkangel. I know i did visit see that on nabis website. My only problem is that my 2 and 3 year old will brake that charger port in few min. so for now i guess i will limit time and try to find cheap nabi and go ahead with my experiment and see what happens.

DarkAngel

Aug 1, 2006
Arizona
Thanks darkangel. I know i did visit see that on nabis website. My only problem is that my 2 and 3 year old will brake that charger port in few min. so for now i guess i will limit time and try to find cheap nabi and go ahead with my experiment and see what happens.

No problem. Without knowing more specs and power management from the device it would be a guessing game as it is right now. I will see if I can find a cheap one as well and do the same if not completely take it apart to really get into it.

aicjofs

Nov 6, 2012
Portland, Oregon
SDA Serial Data
SCL - Serial Clock
NTC - Temp thermocouple.

Here is a good read. It basically a SMBus battery

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/inner_workings_of_a_smart_battery

Most of the aftermarket batteries are 2 wire or 3 wire, which makes finding a good candidate more difficult.

We need a picture of the charging circuit chip and who makes it, then grab a data sheet. Most are for single pack charging so paralleling with load balancing seems unlike to be built in to the device. It's possible but not something I will probably be content in letting my child have on their lap. That leaves a larger capacity. Here is the manufacture site

http://www.tclbattery.com/read_products.php?smname=%D2%C6%B6%AF%B5%E7%D4%B4%CF%B5%C1%D0

The Nabi battery is in the mobile power section, you will have to switch to Tablet and see if anything there. I tried search for the higher capacities and didn't come up with much in limited searching that can be bought anywhere.

5.1mm x 65.5mm x 111.5mm, plenty of room in Nabi but that gives a general idea. I imagine if you can find a 5 wire battery of higher capacity it will work great.

Earlier I saw a question about jumpering USB to wall changer plug. Hard to tell from the pics, they may not have put anything smart on the USB side of things since it wasn't intended, so it might draw more then the 500ma of USB2 and damage a USB port. Probably could add a mosfet, schottky diode and pull down resistor to prevent back flowing the USB from wall charger if both were plugged. Likely also need a mosfet to switch the charger circuit from 500mA to 2A depending on which source plugged.

EDIT: Found a decent pic of what I was trying to say. Page 17 of the document http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/4081f.pdf

Last edited:

DarkAngel

Aug 1, 2006
Arizona
Nice aicjofs, great info. I wonder what byohaserd has been up to. No updates on here for a while.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

skull791

Dec 5, 2012
SDA Serial Data
SCL - Serial Clock
NTC - Temp thermocouple.

Most of the aftermarket batteries are 2 wire or 3 wire, which makes finding a good candidate more difficult.

We need a picture of the charging circuit chip and who makes it, then grab a data sheet. Most are for single pack charging so paralleling with load balancing seems unlike to be built in to the device. It's possible but not something I will probably be content in letting my child have on their lap. That leaves a larger capacity. Here is the manufacture site

http://www.tclbattery.com/read_products.php?smname=%D2%C6%B6%AF%B5%E7%D4%B4%CF%B5%C1%D0

The Nabi battery is in the mobile power section, you will have to switch to Tablet and see if anything there. I tried search for the higher capacities and didn't come up with much in limited searching that can be bought anywhere.

5.1mm x 65.5mm x 111.5mm, plenty of room in Nabi but that gives a general idea. I imagine if you can find a 5 wire battery of higher capacity it will work great.

Earlier I saw a question about jumpering USB to wall changer plug. Hard to tell from the pics, they may not have put anything smart on the USB side of things since it wasn't intended, so it might draw more then the 500ma of USB2 and damage a USB port. Probably could add a mosfet, schottky diode and pull down resistor to prevent back flowing the USB from wall charger if both were plugged. Likely also need a mosfet to switch the charger circuit from 500mA to 2A depending on which source plugged.

EDIT: Found a decent pic of what I was trying to say. Page 17 of the document http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/4081f.pdf

WOW!! aicjofs That is exactly what I was looking for. Great material. I was going through the list of batteries on that website and I have to do more digging. They are some batteries on there almost same size and same spec with up to 7000mAh that would be nice in the nabi.

Thank you again.

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

Nice aicjofs, great info. I wonder what byohaserd has been up to. No updates on here for a while.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Me too I wonder if he has something nice for us.

skull791

Dec 5, 2012
Hello everyone.

So I did find an nabi 2 on ebay for $35 for the purpose of complete teardown so we can get some part numbers. I will get some pictures up once I'm all done. So far I did find out what screen is use and I'm happy to report that you can buy it anywhere from $24 to $49 depending where you look.

Screen:INNOLUX 7.00" Panel EJ070NA-01J

I have to remove digitizer and will post what they use.

hope this will help in the future.

kcallis

Dec 18, 2008
Little Rock, AR
I know everyone is interested in power changes, but for those who have did a break down, would someone tell me what wifi radio in play on the device. If it doesn't already have one, I would love to have a radio that supports 5GHz N as well as the bluetooth 3, etc.

pmcc

Dec 14, 2009
DC Metro
Part numbers help!

Hello everyone.

So I did find an nabi 2 on ebay for $35 for the purpose of complete teardown so we can get some part numbers. I will get some pictures up once I'm all done. So far I did find out what screen is use and I'm happy to report that you can buy it anywhere from $24 to $49 depending where you look.

Thanks so much for the screen part number, had a real hard time finding it anywhere without tearing the thing open.

My sons got stepped on but the digitizer appears to still be working so I didn't want to pay $75 for a complete replacement from Fuhu.
Interestingly I found a listing on ebay that provided the EJ070NA-01J part number and an alternate part number of AA0700023001, says it came from an Acer Iconia A100.

Think I found a used one out of an Iconia for $40 but would like to know how easily the screen and digitizer separate. Did you ever get yours apart?

Thanks again!

skull791

Dec 5, 2012
Thanks so much for the screen part number, had a real hard time finding it anywhere without tearing the thing open.

My sons got stepped on but the digitizer appears to still be working so I didn't want to pay $75 for a complete replacement from Fuhu.
Interestingly I found a listing on ebay that provided the EJ070NA-01J part number and an alternate part number of AA0700023001, says it came from an Acer Iconia A100.

Think I found a used one out of an Iconia for $40 but would like to know how easily the screen and digitizer separate. Did you ever get yours apart?

Thanks again!

unfortunately you will need both. separating them is no problem but getting screen and digitizer out of the case is a problem. Its glue in very good. I use heat to soften double side adhesive ant digitizer was still cracking. Still looking for a source for digitizer cant find one anywhere. I do have a part number but dose not turn out any searches.

shizzyraw585

Aug 16, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
OK so is a blow dryer required to remove the screen or does it just pop off? Or are those some kind of clips in the tear down pics that need to be disengaged somehow? Any help getting the screen off would be a major help.

Thanks!!

rhconcepts

Oct 2, 2008
Blaine
www.facebook.com
Im sitting here with mine apart but I cant find the glass online. The screen is fine and it works great but the glass is all cracked up. Im not going to pull them apart if I cant find the glass. Anyone find just the glass yet? If you buy the screen you still don't get the glass.

woodex

Jun 27, 2007
Fix nabi 2 charging port by replacing it with NOKIA port

Hello, just replaced the port of NABI 2 with NOKIA's 6230 port.

Reactions: aicjofs

s-X-s

May 22, 2012
Sydney
www.weindians.net
Vivo X60 Pro
@byohaserd @skull791 @aicjofs , hi I'm looking for some help for Nabi 2.0 (out of warranty) - had some screen flickering issues. so opened and it seems the touch screen cable (marked in red with chip -novatek) boken. may be completey off when i opened. So i need help to find either original cable or third party, not able to get on ebay or anywhere, if you can point me in the right direction please. I asked those fuhu people , they dont give name or parts info it seems, its just cable , tell me if anyone knows part number or name of that flex cable ... thank u
10352907_867552709962460_6664043259785128444_n.jpg

Last edited:

aicjofs

Nov 6, 2012
Portland, Oregon
@byohaserd @skull791 @aicjofs , hi I'm looking for some help for Nabi 2.0 (out of warranty) - had some screen flickering issues. so opened and it seems the touch screen cable (marked in red with chip -novatek) boken. may be completey off when i opened. So i need help to find either original cable or third party, not able to get on ebay or anywhere, if you can point me in the right direction please. I asked those fuhu people , they dont give name or parts info it seems, its just cable , tell me if anyone knows part number or name of that flex cable ... thank u

I don't. I would probably price a Nabi someone is selling with a cracked screen. Take that cable? Turn the rest of it into a media center with xbmc(kodi) over the HDMI.

Reactions: s-X-s

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok...So here we go...Got it fully apart..Took some pics. Maybe you guys can see something else that I didn't but it looks as if adding in wireless charging would be rather simple...Other than that I didn't really see anything of interest...what are your thoughts?
    IMG_20121205_232838.jpg

IMG_20121205_231437.jpg

IMG_20121205_231402.jpg

IMG_20121205_231356.jpg

IMG_20121205_231033.jpg

IMG_20121205_231023.jpg

IMG_20121205_231014.jpg

IMG_20121205_225049.jpg

IMG_20121205_225041.jpg

IMG_20121205_224332.jpg

IMG_20121205_224303.jpg
    Hello everyone.

SDA Serial Data
    SCL - Serial Clock
    NTC - Temp thermocouple.

My thoughts: Man, there is a lot of wasted space in there. They could've made the bezel 1/4 the size and had a much, MUCH more portable tablet.

Shows they were designing for kids 100%, with no real interest in adult use. (Well, that was already obvious from the awful grid on the back panel and the lip around it even if you remove the grid and home-build a flat back panel; I am 100% certain that contrived Nabi blocks aside, the real reason they made the back like that is to stop adults buying the tablet and not giving it to a kid.)

I don't. I would probably price a Nabi someone is selling with a cracked screen. Take that cable? Turn the rest of it into a media center with xbmc(kodi) over the HDMI.