5,599,911 Members 47,057 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide] How to use Github

Tip us?

Eddy130306
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I currently can't get linux on my computer because I have Windows 8 pre-installed. Can I still "do" or learn to code on "Git Bash"? Why is it that many people recommend Linux. I used to have Linux before too. Also, just for testing, I cloned
Code:
git clone git://github.com/eagleeyetom/android_packages_apps_Settings.git -b gingerbread
Everything thing went successfully, and to make changes would I really have to make a github account? Also, since I cloned it, does it save to somewhere on my computer? And where can I check? Thanks.

cj360
Old
Thanks Meter 635

DONATE TO ME
Well for one thing you can install linux over windows, side by side actually if you have enough space you could split it and dual boot, they're kept separate and you pick which one you load up upon booting the pc. Or you could you wubi and install ubuntu inside windows, but that would be like using a virtual machine and cause it to be very slow especially compiling roms.

And you don't need an account to edit the files locally, when you clone remember the location your cloning to as the files will be there inside the name of the repo they're from.

Eddy130306
Old
(Last edited by Eddy130306; 9th February 2013 at 05:55 PM.)
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj360 View Post
Well for one thing you can install linux over windows, side by side actually if you have enough space you could split it and dual boot, they're kept separate and you pick which one you load up upon booting the pc. Or you could you wubi and install ubuntu inside windows, but that would be like using a virtual machine and cause it to be very slow especially compiling roms.

And you don't need an account to edit the files locally, when you clone remember the location your cloning to as the files will be there inside the name of the repo they're from.
You don't understand, It's difficult to get Linux working on a pre-installed Windows 8 machine. And yeah I have made separate partitions to install Ubuntu/etc. I don't want to have a virtual box machine either. And what? You confused me a little to where the files are saved.

Nvm I found it. I never specified where I wanted to save it, so by default it was on (C) drive. Thanks.

Eddy130306
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Thanks to the OP for this thread too. I am now on github helping with grammar issues and translation problems. Not other things because I do not know how to code yet!

Smart-X
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Thanks bro!
Clear guide!

desalesouche
Old
Thanks Meter 1262
hi.may i ask you how i can do a cherry pick to update kernel 2.6.32.9 to 2.6.32.60
can you provide me please exact command to use in ubuntu 12.10 64 bits terminal ?
my kernel https://github.com/desalesouche/kernel_huawei_u8220
and the kernel 2.6.32.60 : https://github.com/desalesouche/jordan-kernel
same github...
thank you very much.
HUAWEI:U8230/HONOR(U8860)
SAMSUNG:G YOUNG/G S
SONY: XPERIA Z

NineInchNails
Old
Thanks Meter 5205

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [Guide] How to use Github

You cant just jump linux updates. You need to patch them incrementally from linux.org

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to NineInchNails For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hikki6139
Old
Thanks Meter 33

DONATE TO ME
I just need that.
Thanks for giving a such good tutorial.
Create your own unique photo widget

Original XDA Forum post thread Click me.

Join us on Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/animatephoto.

If you like this widget, please give 5 stars.
Your support is my greatest motivation

ianfreedert
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Prompt can i run .git to my android phone?

how do i run the the git ("pakage with android.mk") to my android phone?

how do i build git to .apk?

and where do i input the codes above?lets say it is a command prompthttp://forum.xda-developers.com/images/icons/advanced/prompt.png and wheres the button to show the command prompthttp://forum.xda-developers.com/images/icons/advanced/prompt.png of github. please help me.. thanks in advance

jacobnj
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the guide.

Tags
git, github, guide, pull request