24th January 2013, 07:08 PM   |  #21  
Flag Mount Vernon, IA,USA
Thanks Meter: 187

288 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodi524

Create a new flashable(sparse) system image.

Code:
sudo ./make_ext4fs -s -l 929038336 -a system new_system.img sys/
sudo umount sys
rm -fr sys

just wanted to say, if you are doing your own, the number after -l is the size in bytes of your image.
24th January 2013, 10:22 PM   |  #22  
Flag Tucson, AZ
Thanks Meter: 0

12 posts
More
Question Kindle Fire 2 Restore Question..
So I'm trying to get everything prepared for when my Fastboot cable arrives. Should get here today, thanks to Skoprn. Ive been reading these threads and think I'm still just a bit confused. Any help would be appreciated..

Current status of my KF2 is that it is just stuck in bootloop. The Kindle Fire logo just keeps flashing. Anyways, so when my fastboot cable arrives I connect it. It should boot up into fastboot and then what do I do next?

Download this "Restoration Tool" and then what? Unzip the file and run it and it will do it all by itself or..?? Do i need to run some commands in ADB/fastboot??

Thanks for any help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodi524

How to restore your Kindle Fire 2

Notes

Using the backup.sh from kinfauns that I modded because the partition table for the KF2 is not the same as the HD.
I attached the new backup.sh for the KF2 on this post.

Links

Restoration tool

I developed a Recovery Tool based of the one onemeila created for the KFHD.
This will restore your boot/recover partitions (good for if you are gonna mess with the Bootloader Crack)
Restore your system.img to a Deodexed Rooted 10.2.1 Software. I have stripped ALOT of Kindle Apps from this backup.
Erase userdata & cache cleanup should be done when restoring.

Credits
Kinfauns for the original backup.sh
Onemeila for his original Recovery Tool for the KFHD

Special thanks
verygreen, hashcode, and fattire for answering my endless and noobish questions and saying there HAS to be a way.

And all those who have offered to help me get a 10.2.1 system.img for the KF2

Enjoy!

Additional Info

The post here contains the partition table for the KF2.

How I did it:
Due to the raw system.img being too big for fastboot to flash back to the KF2 I had to make the raw image
a sparse image file using help found in this post.

1. Mount the raw system.img (created and extracted from the system.img.gz using the backup.sh)
    Code:
    mkdir sys
    sudo mount -t ext4 -o loop system.img sys/
  2. Create a new flashable(sparse) system image.
    Code:
    sudo ./make_ext4fs -s -l 929038336 -a system new_system.img sys/
    sudo umount sys
    rm -fr sys

With that all said and done I was able to flash the sparse system.img to my KF2 and restore it!
It was bricked big time!!!!

26th January 2013, 05:43 AM   |  #23  
Thanks Meter: 0

16 posts
Can I use this tool when my current software version is 10.2.4
26th January 2013, 12:53 PM   |  #24  
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 305

2,069 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerpoint45

Thanks for making this tut. Yesterday I couldn't figure out how to flash my system back because It was too big. This method worked.

What method where are the instuctions?
10th February 2013, 05:48 PM   |  #25  
Thanks Meter: 20

28 posts
If system.img is too big
I had trouble using fastboot to flash the system partition. System.img was too large and I was having trouble getting the environment up to build the sparse image.

My boot and recovery partitions were, however, set up to successfully boot TWRP recovery. I booted into TWRP, then I used adb to transfer the system.img to the internal storage.

adb push system.img /sdcard/

The I went into adb shell and used dd to write the image.

adb shell
dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system

Once this completed, I rebooted and the stock environment was in place.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevMike For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th March 2013, 12:05 AM   |  #26  
Thanks Meter: 46

275 posts
My. PC recognized my. Kindle but won't go to fast boot even with the cable. I reinstalled the drivers and all, but still can't do anything, please help
14th March 2013, 09:08 AM   |  #27  
Thanks Meter: 171

483 posts
More
AW: [Kindle Fire 2 Restore][Working!!!]-12/7/2012
Type:
ADB reboot bootloader

Gesendet von meinem Amazon Kindle Fire2 mit Tapatalk 2
5th May 2013, 06:38 AM   |  #28  
Flag Gainesville GA
Thanks Meter: 13

64 posts
More
OK I have a bricked kindle fire 2nd gen that is driving me nuts. when I press the power button it shows the orange kindle fire logo for about 10 or 15 seconds and then it shuts down. I have a factory cable and used this utility to restore it, but it still will not boot.

I even went so far as to go ahead and try to get TWRP installed so I could flash it with CM10.1 since It does boot to fastboot when I use the factory cable.

when I do that it doesn't show the blue kindle fire logo, it shows the orange logo, goes black for few seconds and then shows the orange logo again. it keeps doing this over and over.

using this utility to restore changes the boot behavior to shutting off again after displaying the logo.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix it?
14th May 2013, 04:45 AM   |  #29  
Huntsville
Thanks Meter: 155

860 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantpatrickfarrell

So I'm trying to get everything prepared for when my Fastboot cable arrives. Should get here today, thanks to Skoprn. Ive been reading these threads and think I'm still just a bit confused. Any help would be appreciated..

Current status of my KF2 is that it is just stuck in bootloop. The Kindle Fire logo just keeps flashing. Anyways, so when my fastboot cable arrives I connect it. It should boot up into fastboot and then what do I do next?

Download this "Restoration Tool" and then what? Unzip the file and run it and it will do it all by itself or..?? Do i need to run some commands in ADB/fastboot??

Thanks for any help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_evil

OK I have a bricked kindle fire 2nd gen that is driving me nuts. when I press the power button it shows the orange kindle fire logo for about 10 or 15 seconds and then it shuts down. I have a factory cable and used this utility to restore it, but it still will not boot.

I even went so far as to go ahead and try to get TWRP installed so I could flash it with CM10.1 since It does boot to fastboot when I use the factory cable.

when I do that it doesn't show the blue kindle fire logo, it shows the orange logo, goes black for few seconds and then shows the orange logo again. it keeps doing this over and over.

using this utility to restore changes the boot behavior to shutting off again after displaying the logo.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix it?

Kind of in this same boat right now. I've got a bootlooping KF2 after trying to restore a factory backup I made in TWRP. Fastboot cable on the way. Hoping to gather enough info from this post and others to stumble my way into getting drivers, a restore, and TWRP so I can get things going again. These dang Kindles are nuttin but trouble... I wish there was a comprehensive step by step guide... Information about the Kindle seems to be more spread out than other devices.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
Last edited by jcnbama; 14th May 2013 at 05:44 AM.
14th May 2013, 06:08 PM   |  #30  
Flag Gainesville GA
Thanks Meter: 13

64 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnbama

Kind of in this same boat right now. I've got a bootlooping KF2 after trying to restore a factory backup I made in TWRP. Fastboot cable on the way. Hoping to gather enough info from this post and others to stumble my way into getting drivers, a restore, and TWRP so I can get things going again. These dang Kindles are nuttin but trouble... I wish there was a comprehensive step by step guide... Information about the Kindle seems to be more spread out than other devices.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

It's driving me nuts, you would think that if fastboot works, that there is some way to fix what is causing this issue.

I just got done with fixing a pretty borked up Kindle fire (original) that was sticking on the boot logo. that one I had to flash it with FFF and twrp, then format the usb storage, then flashed with cotr then flashed it with the kindle fire update bin (renamed to update.zip) and was able to fully fix it and get it back running.

I'm suprised that noone has figured out how to fully unlock the bootloader on the 2nd gen Kindle Fires yet.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread