Search This thread

andQlimax

Jul 29, 2010
Rome
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
[FEAUTURED ON XDA PORTAL: LINK ]

FEATURED by Whatsapp Support Page

Hi everyone,

Are you experiencing delayed push notifications from Hangouts, GMail, Whatsapp (partial fix), Facebook, Play Store web install, etc? If so, then this app its for you!
It's FREE! No banners. No ads. Please consider donating to the developer (link in the app).

ROOT is required. For non-root version check here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2516849

This app ONLY change some NUMBERS inside GSF android database. Read below.
You will always receive instantly push notifications.

*** How do I use PNF?
Install the app, accept Superuser permissions, choose your interval, select “apply,” and enjoy. The Mobile heartbeat interval must be longer than the Wi-Fi interval, once you applied the settings, the heartbeats are permanently changed and survive to reboots.

* Why were my notifications delayed in the first place?
Apps using Google's push service (Hangouts, Gmail, Facebook Messenger, e.g.) connect your phone to Google’s servers via one TCP connection (on port 5228).
To keep this connection alive, Android uses a periodic heartbeat to prevent the connection from timing out. By default, this heartbeat occurs every 15 minutes on wifi and every 28 minutes on a mobile data connection.
This is problematic because most Wi-Fi routers and mobile carriers will automatically terminate this connection after a short time of inactivity.
Because your phone is not aware that this connection was externally closed, you will not receive push notifications until this connection is reestablished when the next heartbeat is sent.

* How does PNF solve this problem?
PNF simply updates this heartbeat interval (stored on the GSF database inside android data partition) to the value of your choice, in order to maintain the push service connection (GCM).
Once set to the recommended 5-minute heartbeat interval, you should receive all push notifications instantly.
PNF does NOT run in background.
PNF will have not affect battery life.

* Google Play Services Monitor
To check what I'm talking about open the dialer, and dial this code *#*#GCM#*#*, scroll down and search for the Heartbeat Interval. This Monitor its a default tool integrated on android. It's part of Google services framework.

* Notice:
This app is provided with no warranty. You are responsible for what you are doing on your phone.

* How to restore the default heartbeat interval value
Before to uninstall PNF tap "Restore default heartbeats" in the app.

Download here: PLAY STORE LINK (or get the attached APK in case not available on your country for some reason)

Please, if the are problems dont rate bad, send me an email ( ask.andqlimax@gmail.com ) or post the problem in this thread and I'll answer you as soon as possible.
Feedback are welcome!

Changelog:
See post Number 2

FAQ:
See post Number 3

Report to google here: https://productforums.google.com/fo...onnecting-to-networks-and-devices/fslYqYrULto

Download it from play store to receive future app updates ;)

Attachments

• PushFixer_v5.0.apk
    2.8 MB · Views: 6,044
  • PushFixer-v5.5.apk
    2.9 MB · Views: 12,515
Last edited:

andQlimax

Jul 29, 2010
Rome
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Changelog:

Version 5.5, 2016/09/11:
- Fixed: wifi heartbeat was not updated anymore, caused by new google play services update

Version 5.0, 2015/09/01:
- Fixed bug "Can't find Google app process"
- Introduced push notifications, I will able to send all users push messages
- New icon (better one will probably come soon)

Version 4.6.3, 2015/01/02:
- Bug fixes for previous version (if something don't work, please uninstall and re-install)

Version 4.6, 2014/12/31:
- Root permission fixed for Android 5.0 Lollipop.
- Support for x86 and mips devices
- Material design will come soon...

Version 4.5.2, 2014/02/17:
- Added Spanish translation (Thanks Javier)
- Added back GTalk monitor (for "old" devices)
- Added Play services monitor (for new devices)

Version 4.5.1, 2014/02/12:
- Fixed not restoring default heartbeats in 4.5 version

Version 4.5, 2014/02/11:
- Removed workarounds to change heartbeats at wifi/mobile switch; no more needed.
- The app does not run in background anymore
- Mobile heartbeat must be bigger than the wifi one
- Heartbeats changes require toggle network/reboot on some devices
- Updated SU code

Version 4.1, 2013/09/12 :
- Fixed heartbeat not set in some rarely cases;
- Link updated to the new google forum (old one was closed)
- Added italian translation

Version 4.0, 2013/08/29 :
- PNF now is near perfection, set the heartbeat in a persistent way using GSF "overrides" table. Once you set the heartbeat, PNF doesn't need to run in background to update it and android will not revert it. PNF anyway will still run to change the heartbeat only in case you set a wifi heartbeat greatest than the mobile one, because of a GSF limitation.
- Added setting to restore android default heartbeat. MANDATORY if you want to uninstall PNF.
- After the update press "Set heartbeat intervals now"

Version 3.5, 2013/05/27 :
- NEW: PNF is now able to intercepts when android will revert the heartbeat interval
- Battery consumption of PNF is under 1% in a day
- The heartbeat is automatic updated only when android revert it or when you switch network type from wifi to mobile or vice versa

Version 3.1, 2013/04/18 :
- Added ACCESS_SUPERUSER manifest permission (best practice only)
- Make some descriptions more clear
- Renamed application shortcut to PNF

Version 3.0, 2013/02/25 :
- NEW: Possibility to set mobile hearbeat and wifi hearbeat
- Added link to report the problem to the google discussion forum

Version 2.3, 2013/02/22 :
- Solved: hearbeat interval not updating on some samsung touchwiz roms

Version 2.2, 2013/02/19 :
- Solved: hearbeat interval occasionally reset to default value

Version 2.1, 2013/02/14 :
- Added back 1 minute in the preferred heartbeat interval list and added some preset descriptions
- Reduced a little bit the amount of single SU commands executed
Thanks for the feedbacks!

Version 2.0, 2013/02/06 :
- Completely redesigned interface
- Removed ads banners, please consider a donation to support the development of this app
- Improved SU commands thanks to SuperSU guidelines

Version 1.3, 2013/01/31 :
- New: If needed the heartbeat is also updated everytime the phone connects to wifi or 3g

Version 1.2, 2013/01/24 :
- Improve: detection of errors while updating the hearbeat
- Fix: crash on some devices starting Gtalk Monitor

Version 1.1, 2013/01/24 :
- Fix: admob banner

Version 1.0, 2013/01/23 :
- First release

Last edited:

andQlimax

Jul 29, 2010
Rome
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
R: [ APP ][2.2+][ ROOT ][ FREE ] Push Notifications Fixer

FAQ

Q: What is the heartbeat interval
A: It's a keep-alive android mechanism to keep the push connection alive by sending a little network packet every x minutes. PNF only update that interval number. By keeping alive the push connection (for example every 5 minutes), push notifications will be instantly.

Q: Does this app drain battery in background? Does lowering the heartbeat interval too much cause more battery drain?
A: NO, the app itself does not run in background. If you lower the heartbeat to 5 minutes you will still don't notice any difference with battery usage..Anyway I don't recommend to go lower than 2 minutes.

Q: Where is stored the heartbeat interval?
A: Its stored in a database here: /data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db

Q: What does mean "set the heartbeat to x minutes" ?
A: It means only that android will check the push connection every x minutes instead of the default 15/28 minutes. It does NOT mean that you receive push notification every x minutes. Notifications are instantly if the push connection is alive.

Q: Why Whatsapp messages are still delayed sometimes?
A: Whatsapp, and some others apps, don't completely rely on google push service (GCM). Those apps start their own connection and the messages come through this connection. The heartbeat is sent by android only on the push connection on the port 5228, and so it only keep-alive that particular connection. Blame those apps that doesn't have a keep-alive mechanism for their connection or that doesn't use full push messaging. Check http://whatsapp.com/faq/android/20887936 for more info.
A workaround for whatsapp is to swipe it away from the recent apps when your finished a chat session. In this way it's connection is dropped and you will be notified of new messages through google push notifications.

Last edited:

.xxx.

Oct 8, 2011
Mumbai
Re: [ APP ][2.2+][ ROOT ][ FREE ] Push Notifications Fixer

Just installed the application.. till now it seems to work perfectly on my samsung galaxy s3. Need to test more to be sure about it. Thanks btw. Nice idea :)

Ps : why did you make 2 threads for the same app?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

andQlimax

Jul 29, 2010
Rome
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

Just installed the application.. till now it seems to work perfectly on my samsung galaxy s3. Need to test more to be sure about it. Thanks btw. Nice idea :)

Ps : why did you make 2 threads for the same app?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I'm glad that it works.

Well I first created the thread on the galaxy nexus section, since it is my device and I want to make sure it was working well before to open a thread here

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus con Tapatalk 2

Reactions: nsx82

redguardsoldier

Nov 16, 2011
Is it possible to have 2 interval for wifi and 3g :D? My wifi hold well with 15-minute interval, but my 3g only makes it with 4-minute interval (or less, of course).

Thank you for your great work :D.

andQlimax

Jul 29, 2010
Rome
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
R: [ APP ][2.2+][ ROOT ][ FREE ] Push Notifications Fixer v2.2

Is it possible to have 2 interval for wifi and 3g :D? My wifi hold well with 15-minute interval, but my 3g only makes it with 4-minute interval (or less, of course).

Thank you for your great work :D.

Yes..I was planning that, when I will get more free time I will have a look..anyway there isn't much difference in terms of battery life abut 5 or 15 minutes if u scared by that hehe

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus con Tapatalk 2

redguardsoldier

Nov 16, 2011
does this application increase the battery usage?

Well, this app use no battery at all :p. It only modify "heart beat interval" of the Talk app (google talk, or gtalk).

So it can make the Talk app use more battery. But sending a heart beat every 4 minutes costs less battery than trying to reconnect every 5 minutes :good:.

Also, keep a stable connection will help push notifications a lot.

andQlimax

Jul 29, 2010
Rome
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Well, this app use no battery at all :p. It only modify "heart beat interval" of the Talk app (google talk, or gtalk).

So it can make the Talk app use more battery. But sending a heart beat every 4 minutes costs less battery than trying to reconnect every 15 minutes :good:.

Also, keep a stable connection will help push notifications a lot.

exactly :good:

frenzyboi

May 11, 2012
Sorry for being a noob here, but only the second sentence talked about Whatsapp, Facebook etc push notifications, whereas the rest of the thread talks about Gtalk. I mean, this works on any app with push notifications right?

Thanks in advanced! Installed the app too. Waiting for reply ^^

redguardsoldier

Nov 16, 2011
Sorry for being a noob here, but only the second sentence talked about Whatsapp, Facebook etc push notifications, whereas the rest of the thread talks about Gtalk. I mean, this works on an app with push notifications right?

Thanks in advanced! Installed the app too. Waiting for reply ^^

Nothing to feel sorry for, bro :cowboy:. Well, all android push notifications rely on Google push service, you can see this service in Settings\ Apps\ Running services, it's the Messaging service in the Google services. This status of this service is displayed in the hidden app Gtalk monitor, so you here everybody talks about Gtalk :p. FYI, c2dm is "could to device message", that's where the Messaging service got its name :D.

frenzyboi

May 11, 2012
Nothing to feel sorry for, bro :cowboy:. Well, all android push notifications rely on Google push service, you can see this service in Settings\ Apps\ Running services, it's the Messaging service in the Google services. This status of this service is displayed in the hidden app Gtalk monitor, so you here everybody talks about Gtalk :p. FYI, c2dm is "could to device message", that's where the Messaging service got its name :D.

Ah thanks, bro! I thought Gtalk was that Google Talk app :silly:
Working well in the GTalk Service monitor. Having no error or anything! Keep it up :good:

andQlimax

Jul 29, 2010
Rome
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Updated the description in the first post and on the Play Store also (will appear in some hours )

I hope now everything is much more clear, even my English is not so good!
So please if some of you have any suggestion or a better description, PM me! :good:

andQlimax

Jul 29, 2010
Rome
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Last edited:
Reactions: arvarobert

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [FEAUTURED ON XDA PORTAL: LINK ]

FEATURED by Whatsapp Support Page

Hi everyone,

Are you experiencing delayed push notifications from Hangouts, GMail, Whatsapp (partial fix), Facebook, Play Store web install, etc? If so, then this app its for you!
    It's FREE! No banners. No ads. Please consider donating to the developer (link in the app).

ROOT is required. For non-root version check here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2516849

This app ONLY change some NUMBERS inside GSF android database. Read below.
    You will always receive instantly push notifications.

*** How do I use PNF?
    Install the app, accept Superuser permissions, choose your interval, select “apply,” and enjoy. The Mobile heartbeat interval must be longer than the Wi-Fi interval, once you applied the settings, the heartbeats are permanently changed and survive to reboots.

* Why were my notifications delayed in the first place?
    Apps using Google's push service (Hangouts, Gmail, Facebook Messenger, e.g.) connect your phone to Google’s servers via one TCP connection (on port 5228).
    To keep this connection alive, Android uses a periodic heartbeat to prevent the connection from timing out. By default, this heartbeat occurs every 15 minutes on wifi and every 28 minutes on a mobile data connection.
    This is problematic because most Wi-Fi routers and mobile carriers will automatically terminate this connection after a short time of inactivity.
    Because your phone is not aware that this connection was externally closed, you will not receive push notifications until this connection is reestablished when the next heartbeat is sent.

* How does PNF solve this problem?
    PNF simply updates this heartbeat interval (stored on the GSF database inside android data partition) to the value of your choice, in order to maintain the push service connection (GCM).
    Once set to the recommended 5-minute heartbeat interval, you should receive all push notifications instantly.
    PNF does NOT run in background.
    PNF will have not affect battery life.

* Google Play Services Monitor
    To check what I'm talking about open the dialer, and dial this code *#*#GCM#*#*, scroll down and search for the Heartbeat Interval. This Monitor its a default tool integrated on android. It's part of Google services framework.

* Notice:
    This app is provided with no warranty. You are responsible for what you are doing on your phone.

* How to restore the default heartbeat interval value
    Before to uninstall PNF tap "Restore default heartbeats" in the app.

Download here: PLAY STORE LINK (or get the attached APK in case not available on your country for some reason)

Please, if the are problems dont rate bad, send me an email ( ask.andqlimax@gmail.com ) or post the problem in this thread and I'll answer you as soon as possible.
    Feedback are welcome!

Changelog:
    See post Number 2

FAQ:
    See post Number 3

Report to google here: https://productforums.google.com/fo...onnecting-to-networks-and-devices/fslYqYrULto

Download it from play store to receive future app updates ;)

FAQ

Q: What is the heartbeat interval
    A: It's a keep-alive android mechanism to keep the push connection alive by sending a little network packet every x minutes. PNF only update that interval number. By keeping alive the push connection (for example every 5 minutes), push notifications will be instantly.

Q: Does this app drain battery in background? Does lowering the heartbeat interval too much cause more battery drain?
    A: NO, the app itself does not run in background. If you lower the heartbeat to 5 minutes you will still don't notice any difference with battery usage..Anyway I don't recommend to go lower than 2 minutes.

Q: Where is stored the heartbeat interval?
    A: Its stored in a database here: /data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db

Q: What does mean "set the heartbeat to x minutes" ?
    A: It means only that android will check the push connection every x minutes instead of the default 15/28 minutes. It does NOT mean that you receive push notification every x minutes. Notifications are instantly if the push connection is alive.

Q: Why Whatsapp messages are still delayed sometimes?
    A: Whatsapp, and some others apps, don't completely rely on google push service (GCM). Those apps start their own connection and the messages come through this connection. The heartbeat is sent by android only on the push connection on the port 5228, and so it only keep-alive that particular connection. Blame those apps that doesn't have a keep-alive mechanism for their connection or that doesn't use full push messaging. Check http://whatsapp.com/faq/android/20887936 for more info.
    A workaround for whatsapp is to swipe it away from the recent apps when your finished a chat session. In this way it's connection is dropped and you will be notified of new messages through google push notifications.
    Changelog:

Version 5.5, 2016/09/11:
    - Fixed: wifi heartbeat was not updated anymore, caused by new google play services update

Version 5.0, 2015/09/01:
    - Fixed bug "Can't find Google app process"
    - Introduced push notifications, I will able to send all users push messages
    - New icon (better one will probably come soon)

Version 4.6.3, 2015/01/02:
    - Bug fixes for previous version (if something don't work, please uninstall and re-install)

Version 4.6, 2014/12/31:
    - Root permission fixed for Android 5.0 Lollipop.
    - Support for x86 and mips devices
    - Material design will come soon...

Version 4.5.2, 2014/02/17:
    - Added Spanish translation (Thanks Javier)
    - Added back GTalk monitor (for "old" devices)
    - Added Play services monitor (for new devices)

Version 4.5.1, 2014/02/12:
    - Fixed not restoring default heartbeats in 4.5 version

Version 4.5, 2014/02/11:
    - Removed workarounds to change heartbeats at wifi/mobile switch; no more needed.
    - Updated SU code

Version 4.1, 2013/09/12 :
    - Fixed heartbeat not set in some rarely cases;
    - Link updated to the new google forum (old one was closed)
    - Added italian translation

- PNF now is near perfection, set the heartbeat in a persistent way using GSF "overrides" table. Once you set the heartbeat, PNF doesn't need to run in background to update it and android will not revert it. PNF anyway will still run to change the heartbeat only in case you set a wifi heartbeat greatest than the mobile one, because of a GSF limitation.
    - Added setting to restore android default heartbeat. MANDATORY if you want to uninstall PNF.

Version 3.5, 2013/05/27 :
    - NEW: PNF is now able to intercepts when android will revert the heartbeat interval
    - Battery consumption of PNF is under 1% in a day
    - The heartbeat is automatic updated only when android revert it or when you switch network type from wifi to mobile or vice versa

Version 3.1, 2013/04/18 :
    - Added ACCESS_SUPERUSER manifest permission (best practice only)
    - Make some descriptions more clear
    - Renamed application shortcut to PNF

Version 3.0, 2013/02/25 :
    - NEW: Possibility to set mobile hearbeat and wifi hearbeat
    - Added link to report the problem to the google discussion forum

Version 2.3, 2013/02/22 :
    - Solved: hearbeat interval not updating on some samsung touchwiz roms

Version 2.2, 2013/02/19 :
    - Solved: hearbeat interval occasionally reset to default value

Version 2.1, 2013/02/14 :
    - Added back 1 minute in the preferred heartbeat interval list and added some preset descriptions
    - Reduced a little bit the amount of single SU commands executed
    Thanks for the feedbacks!

Version 2.0, 2013/02/06 :
    - Completely redesigned interface
    - Removed ads banners, please consider a donation to support the development of this app
    - Improved SU commands thanks to SuperSU guidelines

Version 1.3, 2013/01/31 :
    - New: If needed the heartbeat is also updated everytime the phone connects to wifi or 3g

Version 1.2, 2013/01/24 :
    - Improve: detection of errors while updating the hearbeat
    - Fix: crash on some devices starting Gtalk Monitor

Version 1.1, 2013/01/24 :
    - Fix: admob banner

Version 1.0, 2013/01/23 :
    - First release
    PNF 4.0

- PNF now is near perfection, it set the heartbeats in a persistent way using GSF "overrides" table. Once you set the heartbeats, PNF doesn't need to run in background to update it and android will not revert it. PNF anyway will still run to change the heartbeat only in case you set a wifi heartbeat greatest than the mobile one, because of a GSF limitation.

Some notes:
    - The heartbeats are set on GSF "overrides" table, so the properties (heartbeats) set in there are never modified by android. You can also uninstall PNF and heartbeats will stay there forever. Anyway I recommend you to keep PNF for future updates, and possible bugs fix.
    - PNF anyway still need to adjust the heartbeats in the particular case where you set a wifi heartbeat > mobile heartbeat. This case seems not handled by GSF, so PNF need to re-set it when you switch network. So I recommend to set a mobile heartbeat greatest than the wifi one (or equal values), in this case PNF doesn't never run in background and GSF never have to be killed to reload values.
    - If you want to uninstall PNF and want stock heartbeats for some reason, don't forget to choose "Restore android default heartbeats".
    - GTalk service monitor display the correct heartbeat type if you set a mobile heartbeat > wifi.

Let me know in case your heartbeats combination is not set correctly!

Don't forget to give 5 stars and donate if you can! ;) :good:

Over 35.000 downloads and counting!
    New version with some optimization pushed to the play store.

Version 4.5, 2014/02/11:
    - Updated SU code

Give 5 stars to encourage further developing.