I've done it, my Kindle is rooted. I used the drivers from the SDK. After that, it was just a case of moving the folders to the C: drive, and following the process as listed. I did make a mistake, whereby I copied just one Qemu file to the C: drive instead of the folder, so when I tried to navigate to the Qemu using the CD ..\qemu command, the computer couldn't find the folder. This left my Kindle semi-bricked, in that the screen flickered and became semi-responsive. I reset the Kindle, sorted out the Qemu folder correctly and everything went swimmingly from there. I haven't changed the rom,or put Google Play on it yet, as I am short of time, but I will look into that at later.
Windows with it's driver design is absolutely crap for this work.