Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,877 Members 50,976 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROOT][HOW TO] Add WiFi GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version

Tip us?

Slimepuppy
Old
(Last edited by Slimepuppy; 15th February 2013 at 09:10 AM.)
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by prokennexusa View Post
<snip>

Alternative Method: Purchase Root Explorer from the Play Store here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.rootexplorer

ALT Step 1: Use Root Explorer and SQL Lite Manager to open /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

Code:
change 'mock_location' from '0' to '1'
ALT Step 2: Restart your KF.
On the KFHD 8.9 one apparently cannot edit the settings.db directly ("database is locked"). Copying it into /sdcard, editing it, and copying it back to /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db does work.

The mock_location key is in the database section marked 'secure'

Another edit: One CAN edit the settings.db directly with SQL Lite in CM10.1.

kgyuszko
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by prokennexusa View Post
kgyuszko,

Blackberry is a proprietary OS named BlackBerry Device Software v5 - this tutorial is designed for Android Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean Tablets and Phones. Blackberry is limited to Blackberry only apps and services.

Sorry!
Was hoping that the bluetooth would work across platforms, and that the kfhd changes would enable any bluetooth connections, thanks for the prompt responses however, and keep up the fantastic development on this, we all appreciate it!

prokennexusa
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 953

DONATE TO ME
Database Add WiFi GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimepuppy View Post
On the KFHD 8.9 one apparently cannot edit the settings.db directly ("database is locked"). Copying it into /sdcard, editing it, and copying it back to /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db does work.

The mock_location key is in the database section marked 'secure'
Slimepuppy,

You got it! When a database is locked, you need to temporarily move it, make the change or changes and move it back.
Best Regards, Chris Bryant (prokennexusa Team Member)

The Noob Guys, where Simplicity is Key......

Main Line: (707) 774-5923

KFFA Bug Tracking: http://mantis.canonicaldev.com
Pastebin for Info: http://pastebin.canonicaldev.com/

Facebook: prokennexusa@gmail.com
Twitter: #prokennexus

Search XDA for Noob............More to come!

jasonfreeland
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Is there any possibility of doing this without root? As far as I can tell, root kills prime video access, which is one of the primary reasons I purchased my 8.9.

prokennexusa
Old
Thanks Meter 953

DONATE TO ME
Default Add WiFi GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfreeland View Post
Is there any possibility of doing this without root? As far as I can tell, root kills prime video access, which is one of the primary reasons I purchased my 8.9.
jasonfreeland,

No this can not be done without Root.

We have 40 different Kindle Fires in our office, they all have Root they all have Amazon Prime. You loose NOTHING when you Root. The process installs two simple files:

/system/app/Superuser.apk
/system/xbin/su

That is it. Amazon does not have software that searches for Root nor do they actively look for Root, if they did we would know about it and we would have disabled the service.

If you are still concerned, the software we use to Root the Kindle: Root MANY ANDROID 32-bit!(Dropbox) has a back-out function or Unroot function allowing you to quickly reverse the Root process.

We will support you through the entire process whether it is to Root or Unroot here:

[ROOT][HOW TO] Root the Kindle Fire HD and 2 with Windows - Noob (Simple) Version

jasonfreeland
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks, I was mostly going off my first gen kindle fires, which did lose the ability to play amazon video when rooted. I'll give it a shot at some point.

prokennexusa
Old
Thanks Meter 953

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up [HOW TO] Add WiFi GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version

Quote:
Thanks, I was mostly going off my first gen kindle fires, which did lose the ability to play amazon video when rooted. I'll give it a shot at some point.
jasonfreeland,

No worries, you have every right to be concerned, the Kindle is a beautiful piece of hardware - this is why we have these tutorials, we respect the value of the device and want to offer solid ways to upgrade the Kindle without causing and type of damage.

If you have any upgrade in mind and we do not offer a tutorial, please let us know, we will post one per your request.

Thank you for taking the time to post comments.

The Following User Says Thank You to prokennexusa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jasonfreeland
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks Chris. I appreciate your kindness, you don't always find it with XDA. I will probably root if I can still use Prime service, I just have to wait a bit to have the time to sit down and do it. With the guides that are up I don't for see that as an issue, I've rooted a ton of mobile devices over the years. I would however like to use the Bluetooth gps when I do it and that seems problematic when I read over the posts. I had one I used for my Touchpad and Transformer Prime that works well (an 818XT). I have already used the HP BT keyboard on the HD 8.9 with no issues. Thanks again.

prokennexusa
Old
Thanks Meter 953

DONATE TO ME
Exclamation Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide Software - Noob (Simple) Version

Quote:
Thanks Chris. I appreciate your kindness, you don't always find it with XDA. I will probably root if I can still use Prime service, I just have to wait a bit to have the time to sit down and do it. With the guides that are up I don't for see that as an issue, I've rooted a ton of mobile devices over the years. I would however like to use the Bluetooth gps when I do it and that seems problematic when I read over the posts. I had one I used for my Touchpad and Transformer Prime that works well (an 818XT). I have already used the HP BT keyboard on the HD 8.9 with no issues. Thanks again.
jasonfreeland,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback. Jut FYI, our new software Kindle Fire First Aide will Root the Kindle quickly and very easily.

Just download Kindle Fire First Aide, install it per these simple instructions, then install Root, after that you can install Google Play Store and finally install Google Apps all from our software, no command line knowledge is needed.

Here we go, go to this thread and follow the simple install instructions: Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide Software - Noob (Simple) Version

jasonfreeland
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
no command line knowledge is needed
Where's the fun in that? Seriously, that is some hard work and a great feature for folks not comfortable doing things themselves. I still haven't had the time to mess with it, hopefully next week.

Tags
bluetooth gps, kindle fire bluetooth gps, kindle fire gps, kindle gps