Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,095 Members 40,673 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[READ] How to get your GPS back! (No GPS showing/GPS giving general location)

Tip us?

elvin9
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by markandmyia View Post
You can download the app "gps status" from the play store (free) and you can verify your signal with that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
gps status work perfect i locked some sat so my rom work perfect thanks

xhozt
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Just a monkey wrench to throw in here.. what if this happens on a NEVER rooted stock JB phone ... any ideas to the cause ?

samsung GS3 stock KK

Former toys
samsung captivate
HTC PURE
Stock ROM 6.5
lg-incite v10h exchanged
blackjack1 retired but still in use .

dsixda
Old
(Last edited by dsixda; 21st February 2013 at 04:08 AM.)
Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 4917
Earlier today my GPS had stopped working (i.e. no GPS icon, no satellites shown) after flashing the Task360 AOKP 4.2.2 ROM. After pulling my hair out all day, I fixed it by flashing Bell Canada's ICS ROM and then inputting the dialer code *2767*3855#. I tested it by enabling GPS and running Google Maps.

Just remember guys, as it says in Step 1-3 of post #1, use an *ICS* stock firmware, not Jelly Bean. Otherwise the dialer code will generate an error and your GPS won't get fixed this way!

Then I flashed my stock Jelly Bean firmware from Rogers and all was well again with my GPS in JB. I think I'll stick to TouchWiz from now on....

Here's a link to a quick download to the Bell ICS ROM:
http://filecloud.io/74kmysqr

EDIT: Credit should go to this post from Nov. 8th 2012 (user TheLovableDoodleBear). I'm unable to thank the post for some reason.

Bruce Lee
Old
(Last edited by Bruce Lee; 22nd February 2013 at 02:15 AM.) Reason: spelling
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 369
@egyptshun

I came across and interesting thing while having a gps disappearing issue again. This was my second issue with GPS and I posted my first one earlier in the thread.

So this worked when I did it. I didn't follow your guide. I hope you can add this to the OP to help others out.

When I lost gps on flashing a ROM, I tried wiping everything and flashing my restore again and no gps in my restore.

Here is what worked. I flashed a different ROM and of course the GPS didnt work with no symbol. I then did a factory reset in settings. After a factory reset it worked. I then flash my restore of a saved ROM that I backed up I tried before and I still had my working GPS.

Here is what I think happened and i think is a new way or possible way to fix GPS.

If you had the gps symbol before in a latest stored restore, you can use it to to help fix GPS on the go.

Flash a new rom to see if GPS is working....

If not, factory reset from in settings.

Then you can reflash your restore.

I hope this make sense in some way. I know the directions in the op say to wipe the phone completely so you lose a recovery and root. They way I proposed keeps your root and recovery.
Phone:
16GB Black Nexus 5 running Stock 4.4.4 with CharizardX Kernel

Past Devices:
ATT Samsung Galaxy SIII
ATT Motorola Dual Core Atrix 4G
ATT Sony Ericsson Xperia X10
Unlocked HTC G1
32GB Nexus 7
Blackberry Playbook

Google+ page for chatty XDA members!
https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/102405...48467738/posts

egyptshun
Old
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 271

DONATE TO ME
Tbh I have tried that and it is not a guaranteed method, I had about 0-10% success rate and it didn't last long when it did so I would have put that up there but I think it is too easy for people to mess up and get wrong then flame on here for posting a low success rate thing that isn't quick. People like flaming. flame. underwear. flaming underwear . so yeah, if they want its not a big thread to look through but I don't like when people drop their coffee because of something I wrote.

New Xperia ICX Theme [CM10.1, CM9, AOKP, Paranoid Android]
Check it out on Google Play <--You won't be sorry! (: [ ITS FREE ]
[Theme suggestion box and QnA HERE ]

“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” -Gandhi

Old 2012 themes:
The Following User Says Thank You to egyptshun For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bruce Lee
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 369
Default Re: [READ] How to get your GPS back! (No GPS showing/GPS giving general location)

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptshun View Post
Tbh I have tried that and it is not a guaranteed method, I had about 0-10% success rate and it didn't last long when it did so I would have put that up there but I think it is too easy for people to mess up and get wrong then flame on here for posting a low success rate thing that isn't quick. People like flaming. flame. underwear. flaming underwear . so yeah, if they want its not a big thread to look through but I don't like when people drop their coffee because of something I wrote.
Oh I didn't know you had already tried that. Good to know. If you think it's necessary I will edit the post if you would like so no one gets confused. Thanks for getting back to me with input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Phone:
16GB Black Nexus 5 running Stock 4.4.4 with CharizardX Kernel

Past Devices:
ATT Samsung Galaxy SIII
ATT Motorola Dual Core Atrix 4G
ATT Sony Ericsson Xperia X10
Unlocked HTC G1
32GB Nexus 7
Blackberry Playbook

Google+ page for chatty XDA members!
https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/102405...48467738/posts

GabrielOspina
Old
Thanks Meter 12

DONATE TO ME
Default IT WORKS

after weeks of trying to get it fixed....last stop was xda forums and it worked

[If GPS is still flashing but no lock]
1. If steps1-11 does not work for you it is highly recommended to flash Galaxy S III Test 3 (created by crypted)
2. Factory reset trough settings and repeat steps 1-3 if not gps icon or steps 4-11 if gps icon flashes
3. profit

Try that out

TY dude
Phone And Tablets History

Apple

Retired : IPhone 3GS
Retired : Phone 4

Android

Retired : Samsung Galaxy S2 SkyRocket
Retired : Samsung Galaxy S3
Retired : Google Nexus 10
Retired : Google Nexus 7 2012
Retired : Google Nexus 4
Retired : Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Retired : Samsung Galaxy S4
Retired : HTC One M7
RIP Google Nexus 5 (Franco Kernel)

Active : HTC One M8 Stock

kangi26
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1437
Just my own personal observations.
It doesnt seem to happen to me while "running" a ROM, it mainly happens while flashing OR just after flashing anew ROM(it hasn't mattered which ROM). I did notice that(I just lost the symbol again ) I did a factory reset, and upgraded ROM's yesterday, and I noticed that when it was restoring My Playstore Apps, the battery got REALLY hot. I've noticed this on 3 or 4 different occasions after upgrading, the battery got hotter-n-hell, and the GPS symbol was later gone. Now, I dont use the GPS a whole lot, so I dont see it's gone right away, but those are just what I'm thinking.

Just re-flashed back to stock LEM, did your magic trick to get GPS back and have updated to a custom ROM, so we'll see what happens next

Quasimodem
Old
(Last edited by Quasimodem; 27th February 2013 at 03:45 PM.)
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangi26 View Post
Just my own personal observations.
It doesnt seem to happen to me while "running" a ROM, it mainly happens while flashing OR just after flashing anew ROM(it hasn't mattered which ROM). I did notice that(I just lost the symbol again ) I did a factory reset, and upgraded ROM's yesterday, and I noticed that when it was restoring My Playstore Apps, the battery got REALLY hot. I've noticed this on 3 or 4 different occasions after upgrading, the battery got hotter-n-hell, and the GPS symbol was later gone. Now, I dont use the GPS a whole lot, so I dont see it's gone right away, but those are just what I'm thinking.

Just re-flashed back to stock LEM, did your magic trick to get GPS back and have updated to a custom ROM, so we'll see what happens next
FasterFix and GPS Test are what I use... FasterFix to set it to North America server, and GPS Test to clear and update the A-GPS data, and with GPS Test open, enable GPS... It locks in seconds indoors to 10+ satellites... Part of my setup routine...

droidmakespwn
Old
Thanks Meter 131
Thanks so much. I just bought a GS3 for my wife off swappa and I'm pretty sure the guy knew about the phone having the problem because he sold it to me at a great deal. Sent a couple bucks your way because you saved me from ripping my hair out. Thanks again!

The Following User Says Thank You to droidmakespwn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]