Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,782 Members 38,272 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Straight Talk SGS2- SGH-S959G

Tip us?

mr-cook
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1553
Default Re: Straight Talk SGS2- SGH-S959G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinergy02 View Post
I know this isn't exactly the right place for this but don't really know where is, but do any of you guys know of a site or thread that compares most of the popular roms? I've tried CM10.1 and SHOstock3 so far but would like to hear more about other rooms, particularly the reasons to pick one over the other. Just thought there would be some resources out there for side-by-side comparison as to where one excels over the other in certain aspects.

Sent from my SGH-S959G
SHOstock3 v2.1 w/ Siyah kernel
Best thing to do is take a day and start flashing. Flash a new ROM take the time to set everything thing up how you like it and test a little bit. Then make a backup, and go on to the next. That way when you decide what you want to run it's ready to go.

Sent from my SGH-S959G
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr-cook For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Spinergy02
Old
Thanks Meter 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-cook View Post
Best thing to do is take a day and start flashing. Flash a new ROM take the time to set everything thing up how you like it and test a little bit. Then make a backup, and go on to the next. That way when you decide what you want to run it's ready to go.

Sent from my SGH-S959G
Haha I was actually expecting and not looking forward to this answer lol. I guess with all the slight differences between roms this would be the only way to find the one that fits best for me.

Sent from my SGH-S959G
SHOstock3 v2.1 w/ Siyah kernel

Edvon
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Sim

Quote:
Originally Posted by razen_kain View Post
What sim card are you using?

Sent from my SGH-S959G
My everyday straight talk that came with phone, t-mobile (shows bars) and (Telcel) which always say "not registered" but work in other phones!

chrishaney23
Old
(Last edited by chrishaney23; 13th February 2013 at 07:36 AM.)
Thanks Meter 21
<--- Obvioulsy I am new here. I have been reading and reading and reading so much I cant take it anymore. So any help here is appreciated.

I just bought this phone at walmart last week. It is all stock from Straight Talk. I got only one question... How do you root this thing? There are over 120 pages and they go on and on and on and I lost track so many times its ridiculous. If the OP has the right method on the first page then I guess I aint rooting cause there are so many break ups and "thanks" in the middle of phrases, etc etc etc. I can barely understand any of it.

So... this is what I want to know:

1 ) Can this thing be rooted so that I can get firmware upgrades? Basically I want it to be like I just got it out of the box. I want it to be able to receive Android System upgrades (its stock with Gingerbread. I want it to be JellyBean) and apps that require the phone to be rooted. If I have to download and install system upgrades manually thats fine.

2 ) If the answer to my 1st question is YES.... Can someone intelligently type out the correct steps so that its understood for noobs, like me!
I am sure this may be alot to ask but with over 120 pages.. its impossible to find the correct method that works without bricking.

Thanks to all who can help!

mr-cook
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishaney23 View Post
<--- Obvioulsy I am new here. I have been reading and reading and reading so much I cant take it anymore. So any help here is appreciated.

I just bought this phone at walmart last week. It is all stock from Straight Talk. I got only one question... How do you root this thing? There are over 120 pages and they go on and on and on and I lost track so many times its ridiculous. If the OP has the right method on the first page then I guess I aint rooting cause there are so many break ups and "thanks" in the middle of phrases, etc etc etc. I can barely understand any of it.

So... this is what I want to know:

1 Can this thing be rooted so that I can get firmware upgrades? It comes stock with Gingerbread... I just want JellyBean and apps that require the phone to be rooted.

2 If the answer to my 1st question is YES.... Can someone intelligently type out the correct steps so that its understood for noobs, like me!
I am sure this may be alot to ask but with over 120 pages.. its impossible to find the correct method that works without bricking.

Thanks to all who can help!
Top section of the OP.
-Download Odin and unzip wherever you prefer on your computer.
-Download the Root zip, and place on the root of your Ext.SD.
-Download CWM V6.0.2.7 Odin flash, and install it using Odin with the provided instructions.
-Boot into CWM make a backup.
-Flash the root zip in CWM.

Then your rooted. You can then join us on JellyBean.

Sent from my SGH-S959G
The Following User Says Thank You to mr-cook For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

razen_kain
Old
Thanks Meter 2066

But most importantly, relax and be patient. I just jumped into this a couple weeks ago and i felt just like you. Now... HOOKED FOREVER

Sent from my SGH-S959G

chrishaney23
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-cook View Post
Top section of the OP.
-Download Odin and unzip wherever you prefer on your computer
-Download the Root zip, and place on the root of your Ext.SD.
-Download CWM V6.0.2.7 Odin flash, and install it using Odin with the provided instructions.
-Boot into CWM make a backup.
-Flash the root zip in CWM.

Then your rooted. You can then join us on JellyBean.

Sent from my SGH-S959G
I opened Odin and running on desktop
i assume unzip it? there are 2 folders when I do. Keep it zipped? either way...where does it go exactly?
Downloaded the CWM. Install it where with what instructions? There are NO instructions anywhere.
COMPLETELY lost here.

And is the phone to be plugged in at all times etc etc?

I think I maybe in over my head here. I am notan idiot with this stuff but this is either to vague or I just dont get it at all and I am better off leaving well enough alone. Someone should make a video. I will donate!

RoCKOwNz
Old
(Last edited by RoCKOwNz; 13th February 2013 at 09:50 AM.) Reason: didnt want to make another post to add more info
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishaney23 View Post
I opened Odin and running on desktop
i assume unzip it? there are 2 folders when I do. Keep it zipped? either way...where does it go exactly?
Downloaded the CWM. Install it where with what instructions? There are NO instructions anywhere.
COMPLETELY lost here.

And is the phone to be plugged in at all times etc etc?

I think I maybe in over my head here. I am notan idiot with this stuff but this is either to vague or I just dont get it at all and I am better off leaving well enough alone. Someone should make a video. I will donate!
This is right off the OP how to use ODIN
- ODIN INSTRUCTIONS -
- Samsung drivers must be installed on your computer- Samsung Drivers- http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...SGH-S959ZKATFN
-Download Odin 1.85- Odin3-v1.85.7z and unzip.
-Put your phone in Download Mode - -Power off, Hold volume down button, Plug in USB connected to computer, Hit volume up when prompted.
-Open Odin folder, Click Odin3 v1.85.exe, With your phone connected the box under ID:COM should be yellow (if it's not you missed a step earlier), Click PDA, Select the file you downloaded earlier, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE- MAKE SURE AUTO REBOOT AND F. RESET TIME ARE THE ----ONLY----- THINGS CHECKED----- AND RE-PARTITION AND FLASH LOCK ARE ----NOT---- CHECKED....., Press Start (It will take a few minutes to load everything do not touch your computer or the phone during any of this, after the phone re-boots it may take a few minutes to load back up leave it alone until it has fully started up and at the home screen). You should get a green PASS message in the top box.

As for your zip file you dont unzip it and it goes on the root of your sd card which means directly on there dont make a new folder or put it in another folder on there just put it on the sd card.

As for being in over your head if you feel its too much to take in right now its probably best to read up on it more and maybe watch some videos on youtube to learn some more before you proceed.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoCKOwNz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chrishaney23
Old
(Last edited by chrishaney23; 13th February 2013 at 12:40 PM.)
Thanks Meter 21
(Figured it out. no response neccesarty) delete if possible)

chrishaney23
Old
(Last edited by chrishaney23; 13th February 2013 at 02:36 PM.)
Thanks Meter 21
another edit. Sorry for this. like I said earlier. total noob here. But I must say, for only doing this for a few hours, I am getting it. Got my phone rooted and now reading and reading and reading again to see if I want to put CYANOGEN 10.1 on here or not. The nightly release worries me a bit. How often do you have to install new builds? I also see the CYAN 9.1 stable release is there to download. Thats ICS right? Is that better at the moment than the 10.1 JB nightly release? Or am I better off just leaving 2.3.6 GingerBread stock on here. That doesnt sound like fun but not bricking a 5 day old $300 phone would be nice!

Anyway to make this work with Kies?