XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

True optical mouse

Tip us?

aselker
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default True optical mouse

I recently had an idea for an Android app, and possibly accessory. Turn on the flash LED and use the camera like the sensor in an optical mouse, to detect motion compared to the table. This might require a custom case with a lens and spacers. I would pay money for this, and I bet many others would.
Sorry if I am posting in the wrong section.
--
Adam Selker

Nokia N93--semi-broken main camera, broken wifi, sold
HTC G1--Rooted, dead camera, dead keyboard, dead wireless radio, semi-working SD slot
Samsung Vibrant--Rooted, unlocked, fried internal storage, can still run off SD, currently a backup device
Motorola Atrix HD MAXX--Sim and BL unlocked, EB40 modded

Hacking your own gadgets is not a crime. If you buy something with your hard-earned money, it is yours. Hack it. Mod it. Don't let software locks get in your way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aselker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chrizhaynes
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default Re: True optical mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by aselker View Post
I recently had an idea for an Android app, and possibly accessory. Turn on the flash LED and use the camera like the sensor in an optical mouse, to detect motion compared to the table. This might require a custom case with a lens and spacers. I would pay money for this, and I bet many others would.
Sorry if I am posting in the wrong section.
sounds like a cool idea. yeah defo special case though or scratched up phone. probally would'nt use it much but a cool feature

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

HunnyBearLewis
Old
Thanks Meter 271
Using the light like that isn't healthy for it, better off using an app like this: free mouse app
All I want is a forum where development threads aren't polluted with pointless or rude jibber jabber and repeat questions.

Phone: HTC Sensation
ROM: CM10
Kernel: Stock CM
Radio: 11.69B.3504.00U

aselker
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunnyBearLewis View Post
Using the light like that isn't healthy for it, better off using an app like this: free mouse app
But that app is a trackpad, not a mouse of the sort that you move around.
Is it possible to PWM the flash? If not, you could always attach a $1 LED flashlight to the case.
--
Adam Selker

Nokia N93--semi-broken main camera, broken wifi, sold
HTC G1--Rooted, dead camera, dead keyboard, dead wireless radio, semi-working SD slot
Samsung Vibrant--Rooted, unlocked, fried internal storage, can still run off SD, currently a backup device
Motorola Atrix HD MAXX--Sim and BL unlocked, EB40 modded

Hacking your own gadgets is not a crime. If you buy something with your hard-earned money, it is yours. Hack it. Mod it. Don't let software locks get in your way.

Milors
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I would definitely pay money for this. to be able to use my phone as a Bluetooth mouse would be so much better then using the laptop trackpad. with camera + accellerometer/gyro, I would imagine you could get a reasonable level of responsiveness. seems surprisin that this hasn't been done yet.