5,600,429 Members 32,953 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP/OPEN SOURCE]Screen Standby ♯ Root [2.0]-Screen off while keeping device active

Tip us?

Dragonpet
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaf View Post
Only used it for playing ingress while walking around town. I haven't had any freeze ups.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk HD
I see. Thank you for the quick replies!

nkahoang
Old
(Last edited by nkahoang; 12th February 2013 at 11:21 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 583

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [APP/09 FEB/2.0+]Screen Standby ♯ Root [2.0α3]-Screen off while keeping device ac

Lol

"User: It doesn't work
Dev: I have no clue
User: It works!
Dev: I still have no clue!"

Seriously, I am as confused as you guys. I am sure that I haven't fixed anything. It is just that jgaf's use does not involve graphic rendering with vsync so it doesn't freeze.

The Galaxy s3 US variant is really unique. For the input devices, this device has 13 (it even seperates the volume up and volume down buttons into two seperate devices)! Compare to a HTC One X with 6 or Motorola Xoom with 7. This device also has 3 framebuffers! While some devices only have 2 (one for screen and one for external display) or just one for older devices.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk HD
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nkahoang For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rm001
Old
(Last edited by rm001; 15th February 2013 at 07:29 PM.)
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm001 View Post
P.S. BT autodetection (with device filtering) works, I already cheked it!
on Samsung Galaxy Note 2 the BT autodetection works and I see black box in the bottom of the screen with "One Two dim mode"....But One Two dim mode actually doesn`t work, the screen doesn`t dim
It works and the screen dims only if I manually press on its button in the main menu.

keeper22
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkahoang View Post
Lol

"User: It doesn't work
Dev: I have no clue
User: It works!
Dev: I still have no clue!"

Seriously, I am as confused as you guys. I am sure that I haven't fixed anything. It is just that jgaf's use does not involve graphic rendering with vsync so it doesn't freeze.

The Galaxy s3 US variant is really unique. For the input devices, this device has 13 (it even seperates the volume up and volume down buttons into two seperate devices)! Compare to a HTC One X with 6 or Motorola Xoom with 7. This device also has 3 framebuffers! While some devices only have 2 (one for screen and one for external display) or just one for older devices.

I am glad you are on it, and look forward to some progress for the S3. Thank you for the hard work.
Kevin

-------------------------------------------------

| Note 3 | Nexus 7 | AT&T in Southern California |

Dragonpet
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Lol

I noticed that! I am just a script kiddy, so I poke around with what I find on Google. The third frame buffer seems to have virtual size of 1920x1080. My guess is, It might be for Allshare cast wireless dongle.

nkahoang
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 583

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [APP/09 FEB/2.0+]Screen Standby ♯ Root [2.0α3]-Screen off while keeping device ac

Hey, so has anyone tested screen Standby with the all share cast on US SGS3 ? It may not work with mhl but perhap it will work with all share?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

keeper22
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Could you add an option to run another app on disconnect instead of just closing the "on connection app". Tasker allows you to make apps from tasks and I think it would be beneficial to run something different on disconnect.

---------- Post added at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

Quote:
Hey, so has anyone tested screen Standby with the all share cast on US SGS3 ? It may not work with mhl but perhap it will work with all share?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
I tried it with Allshare with the same results as plugging it in to mhl. It would work once or twice but eventually freeze up the phone. Another symptom I noticed is that I could not play videos with the screen off. The video would just hang while loading but as soon as I turned on the screen the video would play then I could turn off the screen and the video would continue to play.
Kevin

-------------------------------------------------

| Note 3 | Nexus 7 | AT&T in Southern California |

nkahoang
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 583

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper22 View Post
Could you add an option to run another app on disconnect instead of just closing the "on connection app". Tasker allows you to make apps from tasks and I think it would be beneficial to run something different on disconnect.

---------- Post added at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

I tried it with Allshare with the same results as plugging it in to mhl. It would work once or twice but eventually freeze up the phone. Another symptom I noticed is that I could not play videos with the screen off. The video would just hang while loading but as soon as I turned on the screen the video would play then I could turn off the screen and the video would continue to play.
It is possible to do that, and if I would, the launch app on disconnect must be implemented on all auto detector. I currently implement all of them seperately. I know it is a bad design but initially, I didn't think that one day my app would ever be extended to this much (only HDMI detection without poolling the kernel was a big achievement back then, and Dock detection with Motorola dock sensing thank to jjwatmyself's big help. Then epolaris suggested the auto-run feature).

Thus, let me restructure the app design first; then it would have the potential to chain tasks and events together like Tasker does in an easy and more maintainable way. Thanks for your suggestion though.

-----

Just to let you guys know that I have just received my Google Nexus 4. So much better support for this device is coming. I would have bought an US SGS3 if it is available here as it is the device needs much care atm.

Another news is that probably I would be able to showcase the remote control feature this weekend.

Until then, Happy Valentine to all of you guys!

The Following User Says Thank You to nkahoang For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gloscherrybomb
Old
Thanks Meter 159
Hi,

I have a voice assistant in my car, but I am currently stuck for a way to activate it regardless of what the front app is. I pass the display to the in car display and use Screen Standby to hide the phone screen. This works fine.

What I would like, is if when it is in the mode, any click of the screen at all would activate my voice assistant (or any chosen application).

Is this possible?

Thanks

Old faithful
Old
Thanks Meter 105
Default Unnecessarily complex and buggy :(

OK, so I REALLY wanted to get this thing going and working as it is supposed to, as an app to simply turn the screen and digitizer off.

After trying this thing for weeks, I still can't get it to work reliably. In other words, sometimes it works, sometimes it literally drains the battery in a matter of an hour, noticeably overheating the phone in the process (Unrooted Galaxy Note 2, Jelly Bean 4.1.1.)

Furthermore, and a bit of advice for people who would turn the screen off and CAN'T REMOVE THEIR BATTERY... How are you supposed to be able to press the ON button if the screen is OFF and the digitizer DEACTIVATED???

Maybe someone can shed a light on this, but I cannot understand why a simple screen on / screen off switch can not be implemented, as in "press the power button to turn screen on or off"???

Maybe we should be looking into how android manages to play music with the screen off and use that same function as the basis for this utility!

Don't hesitate to fire away... I'm looking for answers here!

Tags
hdmi, mhl, open source, screen off, screen standby