Gotta Let you all in on Scotty's ROM

OP sudermatt

13th February 2013, 04:16 AM   |  #31  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 1,765

2,366 posts
More
Re: Gotta Let you all in on Scotty's ROM
Battery life is all up to the user, might I add. If you have 37 crappy apps set to sync/push constantly, with brightness all the way up, you never reboot, you leave GPS on, BT on, etc - your battery is going to suck whatever ROM you run.

I also don't under volt ever. Never saw any benefit or need.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to 1ManWolfePack For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th February 2013, 05:33 AM   |  #32  
Thanks Meter: 11

108 posts
I'm not saying that stock is better than any Rom. Or vice versa. as it pertains to battery life. Scott's Rom is basically stock. I love my phone when it was stock had great battery life and performance. What Scott offers me is better functionally.
I love the multi window app that's included. Before i had to change the script. The same goes for the camera shutter. And the annoying Wi-Fi notification. And I really dislike bloatware.
But it's all based on personal preference. They both run great. I didn't want to start a debate.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to moemoney12 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th February 2013, 06:41 AM   |  #33  
OP Senior Member
Flag thousand oaks
Thanks Meter: 85

750 posts
What about benchmarks, like antutu. Isnt that a way of comparing performance between the verious roms?

Are you telling me that doesnt mean anything?
What is the antutu number on a stock rom?
13th February 2013, 02:38 PM   |  #34  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 5,744

9,735 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudermatt

What about benchmarks, like antutu. Isnt that a way of comparing performance between the verious roms?

Im telling you benchmarks don't mean a thing in real world performance and again, the rom doesn't so squat, unless they do an sqlite hack. That only inflates and puts your data at risk.

Kernels change performance, zip roms do not!
The Following User Says Thank You to adrynalyne For This Useful Post: [ View ]
richii0207
13th February 2013, 03:12 PM   |  #35  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudermatt

No it does not mean anything, it can easily be manipulated. I remember when I had my Droid X, there was a script that would TRIPLE the benchmark scores. The script however had ZERO effect on performance.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
13th February 2013, 05:32 PM   |  #36  
Thanks Meter: 94

805 posts
17.5 seems low for antutu. I'm on cleanrom pulling 18.2
13th February 2013, 05:50 PM   |  #37  
OP Senior Member
Flag thousand oaks
Thanks Meter: 85

750 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richii0207

No it does not mean anything, it can easily be manipulated. I remember when I had my Droid X, there was a script that would TRIPLE the benchmark scores. The script however had ZERO effect on performance.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

I know they can be manipulated.

However, let's assume for a second that it's not being manipulated.

Aren't they still the best way to measure performance from one ROM to another?
Aren't the benchmarks the only real way to counter the "placebo" effect argument?

Will someone that is on stock please let me know what their Antutu score is.

Thanks,
Matt
13th February 2013, 05:57 PM   |  #38  
Flag Tallahassee, Florida
Thanks Meter: 123

858 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrynalyne

Backgrounded processes aren't using resources though. They might be in ram, but they are cleared out as needed, and that model works really well.

You use the same amount of battery whether your ram is full or empty. Empty is useless, and full is fine as long as the memory management works, and it does. You would only get redraw if those processes weren't backgrounded, and if they weren't, let me tell you, there would be tremendous battery drain. We would see screenshots of bloat taking up battery usage too.

I mostly agree, I know that background apps don't effect performance (unless there's not enough free ram which I had a problem with on my Droid X and Thunderbolt) or battery life if they aren't running. The problem is some of these bloat apps do run even though we never use them (blockbuster use to eat up a lot of battery on my Droid X even though I didn't use it) or the memory management didn't work well and bloat apps take up memory while the apps I used every day fought for the rest of the ram. Also on the Droid X and Thunderbolt I had performance issues due to not having enough ram, I had to use an app to set the memory parameters so it wouldn't drop to low and cause lag and freezing.
13th February 2013, 06:59 PM   |  #39  
Thanks Meter: 39

401 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moemoney12

I'm not saying that stock is better than any Rom. Or vice versa. as it pertains to battery life. Scott's Rom is basically stock. I love my phone when it was stock had great battery life and performance. What Scott offers me is better functionally.
I love the multi window app that's included. Before i had to change the script. The same goes for the camera shutter. And the annoying Wi-Fi notification. And I really dislike bloatware.
But it's all based on personal preference. They both run great. I didn't want to start a debate.

This is exactly why I run his Rom. Nothing to do with performance or battery, simply like the features. You forgot to mention the ability to change the pull down icons

13th February 2013, 07:18 PM   |  #40  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 1,765

2,366 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirVilhelm

This is exactly why I run his Rom. Nothing to do with performance or battery, simply like the features. You forgot to mention the ability to change the pull down icons

Scott's my dude, but honestly bro: are you talking about which toggles display? If yes, welcome to lidroid and every custom ROM. Unless, you mean the actual icon. That would be different.

The Following User Says Thank You to 1ManWolfePack For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread