[Q] Still no access to internal phone via usb

OP onedayiwill23

13th February 2013, 05:47 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Hi all,

To start with, I'm in India and tried to unlock my Verizon S3.. at first, got it rooted, tried to unlock, didn't work and it caused a bunch of connection problems, etc. with the phone, so I did a factory reset, thinking it would wipe the problems I was having.
Lost some files I forgot were on my internal memory I needed, so I wanted to do a file recovery. During this process, I re-downloaded the drivers for the S3 I needed and then found that my phone would connect, but wouldn't connect as a driver and only as a media source. So the recovery software can't find the device to inspect. Even when I debugged, it would only register as a bootloader and wouldn't recognize it as anything more.

I'm trying to figure out what other steps I need to take to either remove something that I tampered with before the factory reset, or if I need to install something new to configure my device to register as a driver, or do something else I can't figure out?
And I'm still trying to recover those files from before the factory reset too.

Anyone have any suggestions? I can explain in more detail if needed.

Thanks for all the help!
13th February 2013, 05:10 PM   |  #2  
Flag Thane
Thanks Meter: 19

1,127 posts
Donate to Me
More
Re: [Q] Still no access to internal phone via usb
Are you trying to recover personal files that were wiped?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
13th February 2013, 05:18 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Trying to get my computer to register the phone as a driver so then I will be able to recover the files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djteotancolis

Are you trying to recover personal files that were wiped?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

13th February 2013, 05:41 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 150

406 posts
You may be out of luck. When google went to Android 4.x, they switched to the MTP protocol which mounts the phone to the computer as a media device, rather than a mass storage device (as in previous versions of Android). As far as I can tell, devs have only been able to figure out how to get the external SD card to be seen as mass storage (and that's built into a rom, not a stand alone mod, I believe).

Is there any file recovery software/app available for Android that you can install directly on the phone, rather than needing to run it from a computer?
13th February 2013, 05:48 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Well, that's not a good sign. But I will check into the direct software to the phone and let you know I find anything.
Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by letinsh

You may be out of luck. When google went to Android 4.x, they switched to the MTP protocol which mounts the phone to the computer as a media device, rather than a mass storage device (as in previous versions of Android). As far as I can tell, devs have only been able to figure out how to get the external SD card to be seen as mass storage (and that's built into a rom, not a stand alone mod, I believe).

Is there any file recovery software/app available for Android that you can install directly on the phone, rather than needing to run it from a computer?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread