Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,065 Members 40,923 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Getting longer battery life out of your note 2

Tip us?

mindtrust1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Getting longer battery life out of your note 2

I have tried many options to try and anazlyze the best optimization for battery life out of my galaxy note 2 ..I noticed that when I was getting almost 2 days of battery life was when I had power saving mode enabled and I also had nova launcher installed but than I got to thinking that I wanted to give Touchwiz more of a chance because it is actually quite fluid and the animation is nice at 1x or .05x ...I was reading in threads that some users were not using power saving mode because it takes away from the beast of performance the note 2 possesses ...So my question is unlike other battery saving threads im not necessarily want pictures of your usage I want scenarios of what you ( the community of note 2 users) do to optimize and save battery life .... I will say that I am using cleanrom 3.5 I had 4.0.5 but I did not like that it took away some of the functions I liked ...So Ultimately I just want some advice on how to save battery life I have sync disabled and gps disabled but I keep google now enabled because its awesome ..I just need some advice and reccomendations please help im tired or buying apps that promise to save battery life only to find that they dont do much the most recent app I am trying and it sounds promising is DS Battery Saver and it seems promising because it actually turns off all background applications and wifi and data but wouldn't that do more harm than good to turn off background apps ,wifi and data ..

Agent
Old
Thanks Meter 351

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [Q] Getting longer battery life out of your note 2

Have you ever thought about buying a bigger battery?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium HD app

mindtrust1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Yes I have considered but I feel that I would like to try and explore the current options available to me seeing so many positive posy by other members saying there getting lots of battery life just out of the box without upgrading the battery, the battery on this thing is huge ,3100 ma ...Are these people keeping power saving mode on to gain the extra battery difference because I do notice a huge improvment in battery life when I put it in power saving mode but im thinking the people that are getting two days of battery life out of there device do not have power saving mode enabled

mindtrust1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Not only that but I see screen time on some guys are at 8 hours screen time and still have like 50% battery or 6 hrs and have 68% battery thats insane ...I used my phone heavily today I had screen time on for about 6 hours and about two hours of phone calls and than alot of tweaking and trying options so restarting the phone drains the living crap out of this beast...So maybe ill try minimal use tomorrow and see what happens maybe ill see a difference I dont want to have to use ds battery saver most battery saving apps are crap claiming to help but in actually run in the background monitoring everything so it only enhances the battery draining issue or your phone will not go into deep sleep

purged363506
Old
(Last edited by purged363506; 8th February 2013 at 11:58 AM.)
Thanks Meter 25

I disabled haptic feedback. Keep the screen on auto.

Flashed perseus and am using a overclock/undervolt profile for stweaks from the thread that is here in general. There is a stweaks guide and stweaks profile thread if your interested.

Went through and froze or removed all startup and running services I didn't need. No sync apps that don't use push.

Anyway, that's what I did and get pretty good battery life.

Betterbatterystats isn't bloat either. It's pretty crucial if you want to troubleshoot power issues. I've used that as a reference for everything

In the end though, batteries are cheap. You can get 2 ankers and a charger for 20 on Amazon and they are great quality.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
SCH-I605
Beans Rom v10 - Perseus 33
xposed framework

mindtrust1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Yes I am definitely intrested in sweaks Ive never heard of it and as far as freezing apps no problem there I just am afraid that if I freeze apps like Google Maps than my Google Now will not properly work I dont snyc anything if I want to sync I do it manually but im not familiar with what you mean by push ? Also i feel to under skilled when it comes to freezing certain background apps like Google Maps I noticed alot or the bulk of my battery drain comes from Location settings I have most of my apps not location enabled but if I were to say freeze google maps wouldnt that effect how Google Now operates ?

mindtrust1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Also do you use a certain browser that uses less battery or is that a bit overboard I use mainly stock browser but I also have google chome because its fast and simple I use stock browser when I need to watch flash content and I use chrome when I want things simplified but I find myself using google chrome less and less I heard Opera makes a very nice simple browser ..What browser do you use most often for battery life or does it not matter much ...Oh and if you could possibly send me the link to stweaks I would greatly appreciate it ...
Thanks

ChaoticWeaponry
Old
Thanks Meter 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindtrust1 View Post
Yes I am definitely intrested in sweaks Ive never heard of it and as far as freezing apps no problem there I just am afraid that if I freeze apps like Google Maps than my Google Now will not properly work I dont snyc anything if I want to sync I do it manually but im not familiar with what you mean by push ? Also i feel to under skilled when it comes to freezing certain background apps like Google Maps I noticed alot or the bulk of my battery drain comes from Location settings I have most of my apps not location enabled but if I were to say freeze google maps wouldnt that effect how Google Now operates ?
You can get an app called juice defender. You can set it up to turn wifi/data/bluetooth/gps off when you turn the screen off. You can set schedules to sync emails and other apps every 5, 10, 15, 30, or 60 minutes.. I have the pro version so I can control my entire phone..

If location settings is draining your battery, turn GPS off.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium
Retired Devices
-ASUS Eee Pad Transformer B80 (TF101)
-Samsung Galaxy Note 2
-Samsung Alias
-LG EnV Touch
-Motorola Droid 3 (XT862)

Current Devices
--Verizon LG G2 (Usually overclocked to 2.5GHz, running Malladus 2.0)

mindtrust1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So do you also keep power saving mode on your note 2 enabled ? or do you keep that off ..Also is there a video tutorial on how to use Juice Defender properly because I never fully understood some of its features do you have just the basic juice defender, the plus or the ultimate im only asking because I want to know if having juice defender plus will do the trick or do i need the ultimate to take full advantage ?

mindtrust1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I only ask this because I already have juice defender plus on the note 2 but I have yet to use it on the note 2