Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,924 Members 45,339 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

External Storage

Tip us?
 
mygti02
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 439
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oswego, IL
Default External Storage

Hi Guys,

I have a stock but rooted Nexus 10 and im trying to figure out how to my connected external drive to work on my Nexus 10. I have the proper cable to plugin any USB device, the light turns on for my external drive but i don't see it anywhere in Root explorer. Could someone tell me if its hidden somewhere or if its possible to even do this? Thanks!
 
Herman76
Old
#2  
Herman76's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 257
Posts: 1,368
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Trondheim
Default Re: External Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygti02 View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a stock but rooted Nexus 10 and im trying to figure out how to my connected external drive to work on my Nexus 10. I have the proper cable to plugin any USB device, the light turns on for my external drive but i don't see it anywhere in Root explorer. Could someone tell me if its hidden somewhere or if its possible to even do this? Thanks!
You need to Mount the drive for it to show up. There are some apps on the market that does that, can't think of any names now though.

Beamed from my CM10.1 Galaxy Nexus
Phone history:
Current:
Google Nexus 10"
Stock ROM Locked Bootloader.

LG Nexus 5
Stock ROM Locked Bootloader
 
mygti02
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 439
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oswego, IL
Default Re: External Storage

Is root explorer one of those apps?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium
 
chase3567
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 16
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default Re: External Storage

You need to buy Nexus Media Importer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium
 
nrage23
Old
#5  
nrage23's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 331
Posts: 1,003
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Default Re: External Storage

Get stickmount from the playstore.

sent from my Droid DNA
Phone:

LG G3 (Verizon)
HTC One Max (Verizon)

Tablet:

Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2

Nvidia Shield Tablet


Retired Phones: HTC One M8, HTC One M7, Lg G2, Droid DNA, HTC Rezound, Droid Bionic, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Evo 4g
Retired Tablets: Archos 5, Huwaei S7, Viewsonic G Tab, Acer A500, Asus Eee Pad Transformer, Galaxy 7 Plus, Nexus 10, Nexus 7 2013., Note 8.0, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Note 10.1 2014, Shield Portable
 
thepce
Old
#6  
Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 36
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrage23 View Post
Get stickmount from the playstore.

sent from my Droid DNA
Yes, get Stickmount. It is a free DL off the playstore too. However, you will need to root your N10 for stickmount to work.

Also i can get my N10 to read/mount my 16GB flash stick with Stickmount, no problems. But, When i try to mount my Western Digital My Passport 2TB external, Stickmount mounts the drive, but when i go into the folder stickmount mounts to, the folder is always empty.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is this because the WD My Passport 2tb drive is not compatible?
 
Lenster45
Old
#7  
Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 31
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepce View Post
Yes, get Stickmount. It is a free DL off the playstore too. However, you will need to root your N10 for stickmount to work.

Also i can get my N10 to read/mount my 16GB flash stick with Stickmount, no problems. But, When i try to mount my Western Digital My Passport 2TB external, Stickmount mounts the drive, but when i go into the folder stickmount mounts to, the folder is always empty.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is this because the WD My Passport 2tb drive is not compatible?
I'm not sure if the passport comes with a power cord. If not I don't think the Nexus can power it. You may need external power.
 
dust.
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 59
Posts: 335
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenster45 View Post
I'm not sure if the passport comes with a power cord. If not I don't think the Nexus can power it. You may need external power.
I have a WD My Passport 1tb drive and the Nexus 10 will power it as long as it is above a certain battery threshold it seems. For me it was under 50% battery or so that it stopped being able to power up my drive. It's quite a bummer

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Lock Apps and Functions Easily with Droid Protector

Access and security are some of the key issues facingmobile technology. Whether … more

ARChon Lets You Run Android Apps in Google Chrome Browser

Not too long ago, Google added the ability torun select Android applications on … more

Flyme OS Finds Its Way to the Google Nexus 5

Flyme OS is a heavily modified Android variantdeveloped by the Meizu team for their MX … more

MultiROM Makes Its Way to the LG G2

Over the last few weeks, we’ve seen quite a fewflagship (and former flagship) devicesget to … more