5,600,429 Members 32,797 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HARDWARE FAULT] WiFi antenna fault. HTC One X [22.04.2013]

Tip us?
 
bigoliver
Old
#3491  
bigoliver's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 609
Posts: 845
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bridlington
Default Re: [HARDWARE FAULT] WiFi antenna fault. HTC One X [30.08.2012]

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier2k3 View Post
Orange/EE don't carry the One X + unfortunately or I would definitely see if I could. I don't think there are really any comparable phones apart from the SGS3 which I have a funny feeling they will say isn't eligible. I remember I had this before with my Motorola DEXT back in the day and I wasn't able to top up with any cash either to get a better handset but I swapped it for the Hero and been with HTC since.

EDIT: So handset number 4 arrived, another SH24. Turned it on and checked the wifi and low and behold it has exactly the same problem fresh out the box. Called Orange immediately so should get another one tomorrow. This is so frustrating! It's really bad where I am because as the router isn't in a convenience place, I can't use the wifi in my house. The build quality is pretty bad on this new one as well. You can barely see the LED behind the speaker.
Sorry I didn't know the one x+ wasn't available. I'm with 3uk and they swapped my One X for a galaxy s3, though it was after my thread hit media headlines, not sure if anyone else was offered the same deal? I just wanted a phone I could rely on and the s3 has been rock solid. Not that the s3 is any better (in fact inferior in some ways) but I have full faith in every function to work as intended and when needed, gps, wifi ect.

After sending you out another faulty phone, it's got to be worth an ask its the least they could do, assuming you like the s3.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk 2
Past and present phones: Motorola Razr 3 - LG Viewty (U990) - Nokia e71 - HTC Desire - HTC One X - Samsung Galaxy S3 -
 
djkaija
Old
#3492  
djkaija's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 101
Posts: 493
Join Date: Dec 2010
First off, a big thanks for the very detailed and helpful guide.
I'd heard about this issue and thought my One X was fine until I did the squeeze test. How wrong I was! I called HTC today and the long and short of it is that (as stated here) if I had a locked bootloader, having previously unlocked it, their engineers would be able to tell. Apparently it says 'relocked' in the HBoot screen. That would then be classed as an out of warranty repair and to bring it back into warranty they would have to put/flash a new rom then do an in-warranty repair. If what the HTC rep said is true (about the HTC engineers being able to tell if a bootloader had been relocked) then maybe the advice in the OP to flash a 'legal' HTC rom may be reduntant - no offence to Big Ollie!
The other advice I was given was to check my house contents insurance and claim using that or take out new phone insurance, wait a while, then make a claim. To be honest all that sounds like a bit of a ball ache and I can live with the amount of signal I get - my contract's up in a few weeks. PLUS, I was told that HTC have an event on Feb 19th (UK) and with the current interweb rumours maybe a new phone will be announced? Who knows.
 
bigoliver
Old
#3493  
bigoliver's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 609
Posts: 845
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bridlington
Default Re: [HARDWARE FAULT] WiFi antenna fault. HTC One X [30.08.2012]

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkaija View Post
First off, a big thanks for the very detailed and helpful guide.
I'd heard about this issue and thought my One X was fine until I did the squeeze test. How wrong I was! I called HTC today and the long and short of it is that (as stated here) if I had a locked bootloader, having previously unlocked it, their engineers would be able to tell. Apparently it says 'relocked' in the HBoot screen. That would then be classed as an out of warranty repair and to bring it back into warranty they would have to put/flash a new rom then do an in-warranty repair. If what the HTC rep said is true (about the HTC engineers being able to tell if a bootloader had been relocked) then maybe the advice in the OP to flash a 'legal' HTC rom may be reduntant - no offence to Big Ollie!
The other advice I was given was to check my house contents insurance and claim using that or take out new phone insurance, wait a while, then make a claim. To be honest all that sounds like a bit of a ball ache and I can live with the amount of signal I get - my contract's up in a few weeks. PLUS, I was told that HTC have an event on Feb 19th (UK) and with the current interweb rumours maybe a new phone will be announced? Who knows.
The op advice is still valid, it explains that relocking is the best chance of getting a warranty repair, but it is still not ideal. We have proved in this thread time and time again that you can get a warranty repair with a relocked bootloader, I did it myself, some people don't get any hassle, others have to fight it all the way, but I think everyone has managed to get a repair in the end. You have more rights returning the phone to the seller as your protected under the Sales of Goods Act (in uk). Loads more info about your rights and unlocked/re locked bootloaders in the OP.

Whatever you decide to do, best luck and keep us informed

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2
Past and present phones: Motorola Razr 3 - LG Viewty (U990) - Nokia e71 - HTC Desire - HTC One X - Samsung Galaxy S3 -
 
djkaija
Old
#3494  
djkaija's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 101
Posts: 493
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoliver View Post
....You have more rights returning the phone to the seller as your protected under the Sales of Goods Act (in uk). Loads more info about your rights and unlocked/re locked bootloaders in the OP.

Whatever you decide to do, best luck and keep us informed

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2
I got the phone from an individual on EBay - I'm not sure where I stand there (it was branded when I it and rooted and flashed a custom rom almost immediately!) I'll look into it and keep you informed.
 
xavier2k3
Old
#3495  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 155
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London
Default Re: [HARDWARE FAULT] WiFi antenna fault. HTC One X [30.08.2012]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoliver View Post
Sorry I didn't know the one x+ wasn't available. I'm with 3uk and they swapped my One X for a galaxy s3, though it was after my thread hit media headlines, not sure if anyone else was offered the same deal? I just wanted a phone I could rely on and the s3 has been rock solid. Not that the s3 is any better (in fact inferior in some ways) but I have full faith in every function to work as intended and when needed, gps, wifi ect.

After sending you out another faulty phone, it's got to be worth an ask its the least they could do, assuming you like the s3.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk 2
So handset number 5 arrived yesterday. Build quality much better. Another sh24. All seemed fine for the first few hours but now it has some horrible sleep/wake problem where the screen doesnt turn on sometimes when I press the power button to wake the phone. I have to press it sometimes 10 times to come on. The lights at the bottom come on every time though. The worst case was this morning where it refused to turn on completely. I had to get it into the bootloader just to turn on. So frustrating as I got it home yesterday evening to test the WiFi and it was perfect. No antennae issue.

Going away in a few days from tomorrow so I can't even get another replacement most likely till I get back on Sunday as I'm away early. Bummer. I may have to think about the sgs3 if this continues. What's going on at HTC with this phone?

Sent from my EndeavorU using xda app-developers app
 
nickenl
Old
#3496  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default Soldered but the problem has come back

Hello everyone on this wery good thread.

I have soldered the Wifi Antenna to the clips and it worked just fin a week or two.

But now it has started again. Yesterday thogh i took my phone apart again and everything just looked normal and I measured for contact and it was perfect.

I have to tell that when i did this the first time one of the clip came off but i soldered directly to the pc board and i worked int the begining any way.

Anybody having any suggestions?
 
shadwell_lad
Old
#3497  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 23
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrako1973 View Post
HTC don't actually ask for a receipt ,but dont tell them u bought it second hand , say hello, I'm on contract with blabla,my WiFi is not working and see what they say ....make sure to relock your bootloader if its unlocked , mine was locked stock phone ,bought it 2hand and HTC repaired it 2 time one WiFi and second was screen replaced due to orange spots ,hope this helps...
I called today and spoke to a friendly lady who arranged for my One X to be picked up on Thurs to fix the WiFi issue. Very few questions from her and she recognised the fault as soon as I described it to her.

The emails I have been sent ask me to send in a proof of purchase. I bought second hand and have an order confirmation email (in someone else's name). Any thoughts on whether I should just leave this out of what I send back or whether it being in someone else's name will be an issue?
 
atrako1973
Old
#3498  
atrako1973's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 398
Posts: 1,272
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: dublin
Default Re: [HARDWARE FAULT] WiFi antenna fault. HTC One X [30.08.2012]

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadwell_lad View Post
I called today and spoke to a friendly lady who arranged for my One X to be picked up on Thurs to fix the WiFi issue. Very few questions from her and she recognised the fault as soon as I described it to her.

The emails I have been sent ask me to send in a proof of purchase. I bought second hand and have an order confirmation email (in someone else's name). Any thoughts on whether I should just leave this out of what I send back or whether it being in someone else's name will be an issue?
It's standard email ,print it ,signed it put your phone in it , and send it to them ,if they call you again about proof of purchase, just say I'm in contract for 2 years with this or that network ,and say the original network of the phone emi ,relax be nice on the phone ,say how much you love your phone and HTC,they will go out of their way to fix your phone.
All the best mate
 
fitzy73
Old
#3499  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 13
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default Re: [HARDWARE FAULT] WiFi antenna fault. HTC One X [30.08.2012]

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamingwynn View Post
VODAFONE UK CONTRACT

After seeing this fault on my phone starting to annoy the fact that I can't watch videos in my room in LQ on YouTube I decided to contact Vodafone (UK) about it since I pay monthly. This is how it went down:

- They sent me the packaging
- They paid for packaging to and from the repair centre
- They replaced it free of charge
- It took <9 days
- No more WiFi problem
- Warranty reset to 0 months
- Apology from Vodafone
- I forgot to relock it and remove custom ROM before sending it (and they didn't care) *

So if your on Vodafone UK Contract and you have this bug. Go ahead and send your precious One X in

* I still highly recommend you do this, I was in a rush and thought I already did it. It was only after I sent it that I remembered.
I have a business contract with Vodafone and they refuse to do this.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
 
shadwell_lad
Old
#3500  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 23
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrako1973 View Post
It's standard email ,print it ,signed it put your phone in it , and send it to them ,if they call you again about proof of purchase, just say I'm in contract for 2 years with this or that network ,and say the original network of the phone emi ,relax be nice on the phone ,say how much you love your phone and HTC,they will go out of their way to fix your phone.
All the best mate

Thanks for the advice! The phone is actually SIM free but I get the sentiment and will make them feel good and tell them a story on the phone should it be required. Hopefully I don't need to .......

Tags
hardware, htc, one x, problem, wifi
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes