Android 4.2.2 OTA Update

Search This thread

bhatbhai

Oct 20, 2011
So I'm getting problems likely related to flashing the AOSP browser sometime after the 4.2.1 update. Status 7 error (BrowserProviderProxy.apk/odex). Before flashing, I had renamed the two files to add a ".bak" at the end.

I attempted to delete the Browser.apk file and rename the two BrowserProviderProxy files to the originals before flashing the update via TWRP, but I'm still getting the same error. Ideas?

sl4y3r88

Mar 8, 2012
I don't think anyone outside of Mountain View knows the answer to that. I would guess since the deleting the Services Framework trick really does seem to work, it may be based on some random device ID assigned to each device when the device first logs in with a Google account but that's just my theory.

Thanks for your reply. I cleared the Framework data and cache of that service but have still not got 4.2.2. I'm from India so probally will hit in a day or 2.

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
Not bad after almost a day live on it. I actually decided when someone posted a link to the update to go ahead and throw it on.. I just ended up flashing the stock 4.2 image and rolling up to 4.2.2. I wanted a fresh bed of rice to lay my user experience on. My intention when I bought this was to run pure stock as I didn't really feel like tweaking out a $500 device and to just use it as Google intended. Unfortunately 4.2.1 was such a pile of poo I only stayed on stock for a minute to copy Rasbean and Trinity to it. I hope they give the Nexus 10 a factory image of 4.2.2 since we never got one for 4.2.1

Last edited:

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
This is new.. Now to find out where to deauthorize authorized computers because it doesn't look like Google got that far yet.. Would be nice as the owner of the tablet to block debug access from certain computers. Or better yet password protect it.. What's the point of RSA keys if a single key press authorizes it without a middle man security measure? I hate one way features.

GZfK1kY.jpg

Last edited:

Hereisphilly

Dec 26, 2009
Gainsborough, UK
This is new.. Now to find out where to deauthorize authorized computers because it doesn't look like Google got that far yet.. Would be nice as the owner of the tablet to block debug access from certain computers. Or better yet password protect it.. What's the point of RSA keys if a single key press authorizes it without a middle man security measure? I hate one way features.

GZfK1kY.jpg

I think the main application is when used with a secure lockscreen (face unlock, gesture, pin) so if a thief has your phone, he cant use adb to dump all your personal data, thus bypassing the lockscreen.
Great for use with a totally stock phone, but not the best when custom recoveries are used, as that prompt can be bypassed

More info here http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/02/12/new-android-4-2-2-feature-usb-debug-whitelist-prevents-adb-savvy-thieves-from-stealing-your-data-in-some-situations/

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
I think the main application is when used with a secure lockscreen (face unlock, gesture, pin) so if a thief has your phone, he cant use adb to dump all your personal data, thus bypassing the lockscreen.
Great for use with a totally stock phone, but not the best when custom recoveries are used, as that prompt can be bypassed

More info here http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/02/12/new-android-4-2-2-feature-usb-debug-whitelist-prevents-adb-savvy-thieves-from-stealing-your-data-in-some-situations/

Yeah... I see that end of it but.. I don't know.. It's a step in the right direction and glad to see Google getting more into security but relying on the lock screen as the end all be all security for critical access to internal information is strange in my opinion as I'd say more people use swipe to unlock than pins, etc.. Android needs a legit SU layer added for stuff like this..

I guess all in due time..

onemandivision

Jun 10, 2011

the battery usage on standby went down quite a bit since i have 4.2.2 :)

(the first 20% of battery loss is from gaming with wifi and full brightness)

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
Google services is still the bane of my existence.. What an awful service.. On battery 22hrs and Google services has kept it awake for one hour of that.. ONE HOUR for 22.53KB sent and 44.00KB received..

Time to disable location services again.

chiccitstix

Nov 15, 2012
Updated just now. Went very smooth. I deleted Browser.apk from /system/app and changed the apk and odex back to their original names (basically I just took away .bak).

Restoring my system folder to that default was all I needed. I formatted dalvik/cache and then installed via CWM. Upon exit it asked me to fix the recovery and restore root, and I was done.

Anyone know if this fixes WiFi drops due to same-named AP's?

tvBilly

Dec 22, 2009
Problem with "debuggerd"

Just finished the update, and ran into a few problems, and had one question.

The question: Could you please take an MD5 of your file /system/bin/debuggerd for me. My debuggerd's MD5 is aacdcea17619cdae3263a1b9a6c8ee3c. Oh, and I only need this for a stock ROM N10, and could you indicate what version of the ROM this is from (JOP40C, JOP40D, or JDQ39).

My N10 was Unlocked, Rooted, TWRP 2.4.1.0, otherwise stock JOP40D. The update failed the first time due to my system/app/BrowserProviderProxy.apk mods causing the install script's patchcheck to fail. Fixed that on the N10. Ran the update again, and this time it failed on the script's patchcheck for /system/bin/debuggerd. Noticed there was a debuggerd.bak sitting there, though I have no idea what caused it to be there. So I renamed the active one, and renamed the .bak to become the active one. Didn't help; same updater failure. So I went back to my TWRP backups as far as last November, and extracted every backup of debuggerd that I had (and indeed saw when the .bak version started showing up, though I still don't know what caused it). Turns out the MD5 on every version of debuggerd I have is exactly the same.

So I commented out the patchcheck line for debuggerd in the JDQ39 installer script (but not the actual debuggerd apply_patch command in the script). And low and behold, the updater worked, and my N10 running JDQ39 is also working just fine now.

I have no idea why the JDQ39 updater doesn't like my debuggerd file, whether it's something weird about my debuggerd, or something weird about the script, or something weird about TWRP, but I'd love to know what the MD5 of your /system/bin/debuggerd file is to see if it's different from mine.

Thanks!

edit: And, hey, I didn't name it debuggerd. :)

Last edited:

tvBilly

Dec 22, 2009
a44f77131653be959d70997306a7e665

Is this on a Nexus 10, and is that for JOP40C JOP40D, or JDQ39?

I should have made that part of the original question (sorry, I'll edit it).

MD5 for the file on my VzW GNex - 1e1285480aae05834a4a18ffce551275

other properties:
Size 21.31 KB (21,824 bytes)
Modified: 2008-08-01 08:00:00 AM

How strange. On my VZW GN the file has the same date and time, but is 21.24K and the MD5 is different. But I'm not running a stock ROM on my VZW GN, I'm running "shiny", which could explain the difference.

Last edited:

jonstrong

Jan 20, 2012
www.jonathanrstrong.com
Is this on a Nexus 10, and is that for JOP40C or JOP40D?

I should have made that part of the original question (sorry, I'll edit it).

How strange. On my VZW GN the file has the same date and time, but is 21.24K and the MD5 is different. But I'm not running a stock ROM on my VZW GN, I'm running "shiny", which could explain the difference.

Hmmm...I'm running JBSourcery (latest build). Just odd that the files vary like this.

tvBilly

Dec 22, 2009
Hmmm...I'm running JBSourcery (latest build). Just odd that the files vary like this.

If the ROM developer recompiled something, it could easily change the MD5 without altering the functionality of the code. I sort of wanted to take all the extra variables out of the question, hence just looking for stock ROM N10 MD5s for the /system/bin/debuggerd file, along with what version of the ROM it's from. Not sure how the OS uses the debugger daemon, but I'd like to make sure mine is OK without having to revert back to the factory images and re-update two versions and re-root, re-recovery, and re-install all apps. :)

Thanks for everyone's help!

Last edited:

bhatbhai

Oct 20, 2011
I finally got my update to work, after battling this Status 7 browserproviderproxy.apk error mess for a day. I guess somehow, my original browserproviderproxy.apk got altered after I backed it up, since it was about 18 kb instead of 24. If anyone else has this problem (or perhaps deleted their original files), go to this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=34869471

Download the browserproviderproxy.zip, extract into your \system\app folder, and you shouldn't get an error anymore.

Hope I helped at least somebody.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nexus 10 4.2.2 OTA URL

Hi all,

You can download 4.2.2 OTA from below link. Have a fun!! :fingers-crossed:
    MD5:ed637878ccba20ba9d44e62685ac67e9

http://android.clients.google.com/p...igned-mantaray-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.eaef1443.zip
    Thanks! I tried it but got stuck in the same situation. The update was downloaded but not installed properly.

Thanks for helping. I'm all done with the setting up the variables. Whats next now?

Awesome... Assuming you backed up your loot. The following will wipe your tablet clean and install a fresh stock unrooted, Jellybean 4.2.2

Download the 4.2.2 factory image: https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/mantaray-jdq39-factory-d79f489e.tgz

Unzip that.. Inside that is a tar file you need to unzip which contains a folder named "mantaray-jdq39". For tutorial purposes I'm going to assume we unzipped it into the root of C:\

Unzip the image-mantaray-jdq39.zip that is sitting in that directory (mantaray-jdq39). It will contain 5 img files.. They should all be sitting in the same directory

Power down the device and boot into the bootloader of your device.. Unplug the usb from PC and hold BOTH Vol Up-Down and the power button until you get into the bootloader. You'll know it's the right one if you can use the volume keys to switch between start, recovery etc... Plug your Nexus into your PC now..

Open a command prompt and change directories to where you unzipped the tar and zip file earlier.. ie: C:\manataray-jdp39

(if your bootloader is still locked you need to type "fastboot oem unlock" and then follow the instructions on your screen first)

Now type flash-all

Wait it out until your device reboots on its own..

You're done..

If you want to root after this ask here.. Me, or someone else will tell you how to do using the programs provided in the SDK you installed.. This way you will know the exact processes taking place as you yourself will be running each command to install recovery etc.. Then in the event something goes wrong in the future you will most likely be able to fix it yourself.. Also, you'll be more prepared to help others out in similar situations.

* - I'm assuming you already had the USB drivers installed and thus skipped all that jazz.
    I don't care about the data. I have backed up everything. Just wanted to make sure it will work with just one file with flash-all command.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Nailed it.! The problem was Internet Download Manager. What I downloaded was .tgz file and IDM (i don't know why) converted it to .tar and that was the reason of not showing the contents properly.

---------- Post added 18th February 2013 at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 17th February 2013 at 11:40 PM ----------

Yes, finally I am on 4.2.2 :D Thanks a lot for everything. Really you have helped a lot. Now the final part, Rooting. The way you described, I would like to do the same way.

Congrats!

This is easy also..

First we need to download the Flashable SuperSU.
    Go to this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053
    In the first post download the flashable zip by clicking the link following the text "CWM / TWRP / MobileODIN installable ZIP: "

Place it in a spot on your device.. Doesn't matter where.. Just as long as you know where it is at.

Download TWRP (what will be your new recovery): http://teamw.in/project/twrp2

Type in "Nexus 10" click link for it that appears, then click "Download the newest .img file from here" (you want openrecovery-twrp-2.4.x.0-manta.img whatever is the newest at the time of reading this)" on the next page.

Reboot to bootloader - Hold both Vol Up/Down + Power

Connect your device to the PC

Now we are going to instruct fastboot to flash openrecovery-twrp-2.4.x.0-manta.img to the recovery partition of your device

Open a command prompt where you have the TWRP openrecovery-twrp-2.4.x.0-manta.img file you downloaded

Type: fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.4.x.0-manta.img

Once you get the a-ok.. You can now use the volume key to choose "recovery" then the power button to boot into recovery.

TWRP should load.. Now you want to touch "install".. Browse to where you placed the SuperSU zip, choose it, swipe to flash and you should be done at that point and can reboot.
    Good call on the platform tools being outdated. I had downloaded it all today, but I just ran SDK Manager and it said there was an update available. After installing that, everything seems to work OK. It was definitely using an old fastboot as there are more options for it now. Not sure why.

Anyway, everything works perfect now! Thanks so much. I really owe you one.

Woohoo! So awesome.. Look at it this way.. You just got a lot of trouble shooting experience in and have a much better understanding how these things work.. The toolkits just can't replace hands on experience. :) Glad you're updated.. Now go install some games and relax. :good:
    If anyone is not rooted and has upgraded to 4.2.2 here for rooting and installing CWM! :cowboy:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2144831