Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Tool][Windows/Linux][4.0+] Holo Backup - Full backup without root!

OP omegavesko

3rd February 2013, 12:00 PM   |  #91  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 195

87 posts
v2.0 has been released!

Simple ADB Backup has been renamed to Holo Backup.

Here's the changelog:
  • Most of the code has been rewritten. This doesn't really mean much to users, but the old code was absolutely hideous and I just had to do something about it.
  • The interface has been completely redesigned, hence the new name. I'm quite proud of how it turned out.
  • The app now has a proper icon on the Windows executable.
  • Native support for wireless ADB is now included. That means backups can be done wirelessly (but only if you've rooted your phone), as long as you've enabled wireless ADB on your phone using a root application or a custom ROM feature. Of course, the device and your PC need to be on the same LAN for this to work.
  • Single app backup has been removed. It very rarely worked, so I figured it was doing more harm than good.
  • It uses gksudo to gain root priveleges on Linux now, so you no longer have to manually run it as root - it'll ask for your password with a popup when it needs it. Many people still rightfully don't want to give away root privileges so easily, which brings me to the next feature.
  • The option to use an existing adb install has been included under Linux. The benefit of this is that adb, when properly set up, doesn't require root.
  • You can now back up text messages and call logs! It does this by installing a copy of SMS Backup+ and launching it on your device. You can then use the app to back up and restore texts and calls to a custom label in your Gmail.
  • You can now donate bitcoins using a button in the app itself. This will open a browser window letting you donate using either a CoinBase button, or sending bitcoins to my address directly. I did this more for fun than anything else, I don't expect to make a profit from it. :P

Screenshots:

3rd February 2013, 01:43 PM   |  #92  
Thanks Meter: 1

4 posts
I just tried the Linux version.
When I tried to backup my apps it told me to set Desktop backup password in the Developers Options on the phone.
I did that and now I get this message "Now unlock your device and confirm the backup operation." yet there's nothing to confirm on the phone.
3rd February 2013, 04:37 PM   |  #93  
OP Member

87 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisamf

I just tried the Linux version.
When I tried to backup my apps it told me to set Desktop backup password in the Developers Options on the phone.
I did that and now I get this message "Now unlock your device and confirm the backup operation." yet there's nothing to confirm on the phone.

I just tried it and it worked fine.

If you're at the point where you're seeing that message, that means ADB has already been started. ADB is very much a black box from my point of view, so I have no control over it until it finishes.

If ADB is giving you that message, that means it's been started (not the app's problem) and it sees the device (not a driver problem). So I'm confused.

Try running 'adb devices'. What does that give you?
5th February 2013, 11:04 PM   |  #94  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I'm having issues restoring recently backed up data. Everytime I run the restore it (holobackup) prompts for the name of the backup file which I provide. It then says that it's restoring, but then immediately states that the restore ended. Am I doing something wrong when restoring?
6th February 2013, 11:14 PM   |  #95  
OP Member

87 posts
Re: [Tool][Windows/Linux][4.0+]Holo Backup - Full backup without root!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnseib

I'm having issues restoring recently backed up data. Everytime I run the restore it (holobackup) prompts for the name of the backup file which I provide. It then says that it's restoring, but then immediately states that the restore ended. Am I doing something wrong when restoring?

Where does it say the restore ended? In a popup or in the terminal window?

Sent from my Skate using Tapatalk 2
7th February 2013, 01:14 AM   |  #96  

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegavesko

Hey there!

It's most likely ADB's 'help' text that appears, yes. That would only happen if the command was input incorrectly.

I just checked on my dev system, also Win8 x64. Worked just fine. This is the specific line of code that runs the restore operation:

Code:
os.system("adb restore " + str(backup_location))
I suggest you download it again, the download might be corrupted or something.

You can attempt to do the same thing manually by opening the Windows command prompt, navigating to the directory and running 'adb restore name_of_backup.ab', making sure the backup file is in the same directory as the ADB binary.

hey! i have the same problem, but downloading it again didn't work and I don't understeand what you mean whith the second part....
When i click restore, the command window fills with text and the nexus 4 does nothing. I'm using windows 7 32bit what do I do wrong?
7th February 2013, 10:19 AM   |  #97  
OP Member

87 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heschuzha

hey! i have the same problem, but downloading it again didn't work and I don't understeand what you mean whith the second part....
When i click restore, the command window fills with text and the nexus 4 does nothing. I'm using windows 7 32bit what do I do wrong?

Hm. Like I said, that means adb hasn't been given the correct arguments. This is strange.

Try this: Open the folder Holo Backup is in, right click on an empty space while holding shift, and click 'open command window here'. Then type this in and press enter:

Code:
adb restore Backups\backup.ab
Does that do anything?
7th February 2013, 11:42 PM   |  #98  

2 posts
Quote:

Hm. Like I said, that means adb hasn't been given the correct arguments. This is strange.

Try this: Open the folder Holo Backup is in, right click on an empty space while holding shift, and click 'open command window here'. Then type this in and press enter:

Code:
adb restore Backups\backup.ab
Does that do anything?

yes it did thanks!
8th February 2013, 06:23 AM   |  #99  

1 posts
Quote:

Where does it say the restore ended? In a popup or in the terminal window?

Sent from my Skate using Tapatalk 2

I'm having this problem as well, and the "restore ended" is in a pop-up on the phone itself, not the terminal window. The terminal window still just says "Now unlock your device and confirm the restore operation."

I suppose I should have attempted to test this before doing the factory reset, but I figured nothing would happen if the data was all still on the phone.
13th February 2013, 12:44 PM   |  #100  
Thanks Meter: 1

5 posts
I'm having the same issues as MissRisu and Shawnseib. I backed up my Nexus 7, the file is about four gigabytes in size. When I try to restore it, it prompts me to enter my desktop password on my device, and when I do, it says on the device that restore has begun. About a second later, the device tells me it has finished restoring. Nothing further happens.

Any ideas would be fantastic !

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adb, backup, bootloader, easy backup, easy restore, root, unlock
Previous Thread Next Thread