5,595,000 Members 39,529 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROOT][HOW TO] Install Google Play Incompatible Android Apps Noob (Simple) Version

Tip us?
 
prokennexusa
Old
(Last edited by prokennexusa; 11th February 2013 at 11:32 PM.)
#1  
prokennexusa's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 937
Posts: 2,637
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Petaluma

 
DONATE TO ME
Prompt [ROOT][HOW TO] Install Google Play Incompatible Android Apps Noob (Simple) Version

This is a simple Step-by-Step guide on How To: Install Google Play Incompatible Android Apps Kindle Fire 7" HD, Kindle Fire HD 8.9" and Kindle Fire 2 with Windows - Noob (Simple) Version. The main group steps are outlined with A, B, C while the sub-group steps are outlined with 1, 2, 3. We attempt to keep this tutorial updated regularly - adding information from the end users experience. We have recently upgraded the storage servers to increase uptime, you now have two options for the downloads both are ad free. Option one is a Dropbox Storage Server and Option two is a Ubuntu One Storage Server, if one is under maintenance you may use the other download link. When you are done with the tutorial, please take the time to post feedback, this is very important to us - without your feedback, we have no way of knowing if we are doing our job. Finally, if you feel we did a decent job, please think about donating to us using the "Donate to Me" button - this is how we make a living, without your kind donations we would no longer be able to do this for a living.

Prerequisites:

1. Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Fire HD 8.9" or Kindle Fire 2 7"
2. ES File Explorer or Root Explorer from Google Play.

Some Android apps on Google Play claim to be incompatible with various devices. There’s a good chance that these apps will run fine on many of these devices – you can bypass this check with root access.
Some apps won’t actually work after you install them, but many will. This also solves problems with applications that will install but refuse to play – for example, Boat Browser with the “this device is incompatible” message.


A) Editing Build.prop

The build.prop file contains a few strings (bits of text) that identify your Kindle Fire as KFTT. If you edit this file, Google Play and other apps will think you’re using a different device than you actually using. Be very careful when editing this file – we’ll just be editing a few tiny parts of it. If you edit other parts, you could cause serious problems with your device.
First, launch the ES File Explorer app. Open its Settings screen and enable the Root Explorer and Mount File System options. You may also want to enable the Up to Root option on this screen, so you can easily tap the Up button and navigate to your root directory.

Step 1: Navigate to the /system/ directory on your device and locate the build.prop file.

Step 2: You should create a copy of the original build.prop file elsewhere – long-press on it, select Copy, and then Paste it into another folder – say, your /sdcard/Download folder.

Step 3: Now you’re ready to edit the file. Long-press it, select Open As, select Text, and select the ES Note Editor application

Step 4: Look for the ro.product.model and ro.product.manufacturer lines. These are the important ones.

Step 5: Change these lines to pretend your device is another model. For example, to imitate a Nexus S, use these lines:
  • ro.product.model = Nexus S
  • ro.product.manufacturer = samsung
Step 6: After making this change, tap the menu button and select Save.


B) Final Steps

Step 7: Go into the Settings screen, select Applications, select Manage Applications, tap the All category, and select the Google Play app. Clear its cache and data, and then restart the Kindle Fire.

Step 8: Open Google Play and you should be able to download apps that claim they’re not compatible with your Kindle Fire. Applications, Games and Browsers that detect your device should also work, too – Gameloft games seem to be particularly guilty of this. Some apps may still not install or work with your device for other reasons — for example, Google Chrome won’t work on pre-Android 4.0 devices, Bluetooth Tether fails on the Kindle. Some apps may be restricted to certain countries so do not break these rules.

Step 9: Most applications from Google Play Store are installed in the /data/app folder. There are many cases where the application will fail when first launched. If you experience an application that suddenly Stops, move the application to /system/app and change the permissions to User: Read Write | Group: Read and Others: Read. Then reboot your Kindle. If the application continues to fail, please open a post in this thread and we will have our developer work on a solution.
Best Regards, Chris Bryant (prokennexusa Team Member)


The Noob Guys, where Simplicity is Key......

Skype: prokennexusa (Online 10am to 2am PST)
Main Line: (707) 774-5923

KFFA Bug Tracking: http://mantis.canonicaldev.com
Pastebin for Info: http://pastebin.canonicaldev.com/

Facebook: prokennexusa@gmail.com
Twitter: #prokennexus

Search XDA for Noob............More to come!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to prokennexusa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
markbc01
Old
#2  
markbc01's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 207
Posts: 396
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pacific Grove, CA
Hi prokennexusa
- I just tried this on my KFHD7"
- After changing the two lines and clearing out the Store app cache and data, I restarted and went back to Play.
- The three apps I was looking for were still not available to me (Fandango, Boat Browser and Chrome)
- I actually downloaded another app store (1Mobile Market) and downloaded all three apps which I installed and ran without problem.
- Also, I thought that perhaps it was not enough to change the two lines you mentioned (product model & manufacturer) so I tried this again with additional changes to brand (changed to samsung) model (changed to nexus s) and device (changed to nexus s) and then I saved the file, cleared cache and data from the google play store and again sought to gain these three apps which were are "not compatible" with my device.
- Unfortuntately, the Play store did not change the status for those apps --they all remained "not compatible" for the device.

- One good point I gained out of this so far is that I have found another pretty good market to get apps to sideload on my KFHD7.

- One question (please!), can I leave the build.prop identities (model, manufacturer, brand, name, device) in their changed state (samsung/nexus s) or is it better to revert them back to the Amazon Kindle for some reason?

Thanks!
 
prokennexusa
Old
(Last edited by prokennexusa; 11th February 2013 at 11:36 PM.)
#3  
prokennexusa's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 937
Posts: 2,637
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Petaluma

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Install Google Play Incompatible Android Apps Noob (Simple) Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbc01 View Post
Hi prokennexusa
- I just tried this on my KFHD7"
- After changing the two lines and clearing out the Store app cache and data, I restarted and went back to Play.
- The three apps I was looking for were still not available to me (Fandango, Boat Browser and Chrome)
- I actually downloaded another app store (1Mobile Market) and downloaded all three apps which I installed and ran without problem.
- Also, I thought that perhaps it was not enough to change the two lines you mentioned (product model & manufacturer) so I tried this again with additional changes to brand (changed to samsung) model (changed to nexus s) and device (changed to nexus s) and then I saved the file, cleared cache and data from the google play store and again sought to gain these three apps which were are "not compatible" with my device.
- Unfortuntately, the Play store did not change the status for those apps --they all remained "not compatible" for the device.

- One good point I gained out of this so far is that I have found another pretty good market to get apps to sideload on my KFHD7.

- One question (please!), can I leave the build.prop identities (model, manufacturer, brand, name, device) in their changed state (samsung/nexus s) or is it better to revert them back to the Amazon Kindle for some reason?

Thanks!
markbc01,

What I think is happening is the vendors are given two options on how to read the model one reads the build.prop data while the other executes a simple 'android.os.Build.MODEL' request. It looks like most vendors are turning to the latter. They may also query the device fingerprint.

This is great info, this is what we were hoping for - your feedback so we can improve the process and make it work 100% of the time. Give us 24 hours to look at all angles and then we will post an update that will solve your problem.

Leave the build.prop data as is, there is no disadvantage leaving the name changed.
Best Regards, Chris Bryant (prokennexusa Team Member)


The Noob Guys, where Simplicity is Key......

Skype: prokennexusa (Online 10am to 2am PST)
Main Line: (707) 774-5923

KFFA Bug Tracking: http://mantis.canonicaldev.com
Pastebin for Info: http://pastebin.canonicaldev.com/

Facebook: prokennexusa@gmail.com
Twitter: #prokennexus

Search XDA for Noob............More to come!
 
Gilly10
Old
#4  
Gilly10's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 96
Posts: 329
Join Date: Sep 2012
Many free versions such as all of the Angry Birds games are still incompatible from the Play Store even with this edit, yet they work perfectly fine if sideloaded, guess that's more to do with the fact Amazon App Store only having the paid versions & asked Google to block them.
 
prokennexusa
Old
#5  
prokennexusa's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 937
Posts: 2,637
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Petaluma

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Install Google Play Incompatible Android Apps Noob (Simple) Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly10 View Post
Many free versions such as all of the Angry Birds games are still incompatible from the Play Store even with this edit, yet they work perfectly fine if sideloaded, guess that's more to do with the fact Amazon App Store only having the paid versions & asked Google to block them.
Gilly10,

You nailed it. Amazon and Google have a very tight relationship. As a matter of fact, if you watch the traffic when you purchase something from Amazon Software App Store, you will see something very interesting. The purchase traffic routes through Amazon but the download request is processed on the same server array as ................. you guess it, Google.
Best Regards, Chris Bryant (prokennexusa Team Member)


The Noob Guys, where Simplicity is Key......

Skype: prokennexusa (Online 10am to 2am PST)
Main Line: (707) 774-5923

KFFA Bug Tracking: http://mantis.canonicaldev.com
Pastebin for Info: http://pastebin.canonicaldev.com/

Facebook: prokennexusa@gmail.com
Twitter: #prokennexus

Search XDA for Noob............More to come!
 
meddle70
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 162
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default Re: [ROOT][HOW TO] Install Google Play Incompatible Android Apps Noob (Simple) Versio

instagram still won't let me install cause its still reading its not compatible

Sent from my KFTT using XDA Premium HD app
 
Gilly10
Old
#7  
Gilly10's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 96
Posts: 329
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by prokennexusa View Post
Gilly10,

You nailed it. Amazon and Google have a very tight relationship. As a matter of fact, if you watch the traffic when you purchase something from Amazon Software App Store, you will see something very interesting. The purchase traffic routes through Amazon but the download request is processed on the same server array as ................. you guess it, Google.
Actually just looked Amazon do have the FREE versions but only of the first 4, Star Wars is the only paid app without a FREE version, strange they would block the rest, puzzling!
 
helix4u
Old
#8  
helix4u's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 195
Posts: 185
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Utah

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by meddle70 View Post
instagram still won't let me install cause its still reading its not compatible

Sent from my KFTT using XDA Premium HD app
A sketchy workaround (because who knows where they're sourcing their apks) would be to install blackmart, aptoide or similar alternative market and install it from there.... What I can say that it works, but I don't fully endorse it because again, I don't know where they source their apps.
 
iCoN3o
Old
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 11
Join Date: Nov 2012
Default Re: [ROOT][HOW TO] Install Google Play Incompatible Android Apps Noob (Simple) Versio

Hi,
Changing the two lines caused a license problem with Swype keyboard... any of you experienced this ?

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium
 
Gilly10
Old
#10  
Gilly10's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 96
Posts: 329
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCoN3o View Post
Hi,
Changing the two lines caused a license problem with Swype keyboard... any of you experienced this ?

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium
Yeah it says it's unregistered or something a long those lines, only thing to do is put back the correct details that you changed or if you copied the build.prop beforehand copy it back to system/ & reboot.

Tags
goofle play incompatible apps, google play store incompatible, how to bypass incompatible apps message, kindle fire incompatible apps
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...