Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,554 Members 36,215 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Finger lag (delayed response)

Tip us?

dalingrin
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,740
Default Re: Finger lag (delayed response)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomatoes8 View Post
Any link to these articles? Sounds like a good read. I am still not convinced that this is anything other than Apple marketing but I'll judge myself after reading the articles. Google doesn't turn up anything.
Sorry I don't know any articles that discuss it. Most of my info comes from first hand experience helping write a touchscreen driver for the HP TouchPad on Android and such. You can look at the Android 4.1 release notes and also search for NVIDIA direct touch.

A rather simple way to see the input lag is to turn on "show touches" in the developer settings and swipe around. If there was no touch latency then you should never see the white dot. On most of my devices I'd guess the latency is between 150-300ms with the HP TouchPad being the worst.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Tomatoes8
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalingrin View Post
Sorry I don't know any articles that discuss it. Most of my info comes from first hand experience helping write a touchscreen driver for the HP TouchPad on Android and such. You can look at the Android 4.1 release notes and also search for NVIDIA direct touch.

A rather simple way to see the input lag is to turn on "show touches" in the developer settings and swipe around. If there was no touch latency then you should never see the white dot. On most of my devices I'd guess the latency is between 150-300ms with the HP TouchPad being the worst.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
What I get from the Nvidia direct touch marketing is that it improves touch in general compared to most tablets which could include the iPad for all we know. Where does it say it improves touch on everything but IOS is still more responsive? I don't know, sounds like weak marketing spiel to me and people just like to incorrectly fill in the gaps that are not explained.

I haven't used any tegra 3 devices that had nicer touch.

LocutusEstBorg
Old
Thanks Meter 59
There is no existing Android device which does not have input lag. They all take 100ms or more to detect that your finger has touched the screen. This makes it useless for typing fast and playing games like Canabalt. When dialing a number in the Phone app on my SGS2, the numbers lag behind by almost 2 digits.

I have used the HTC One X which has a Tegra 3 and the input is WAY faster than my SGS2. However it's still not even close to the iPhone.

dalingrin
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomatoes8 View Post
What I get from the Nvidia direct touch marketing is that it improves touch in general compared to most tablets which could include the iPad for all we know. Where does it say it improves touch on everything but IOS is still more responsive?
lol, you expect nVIDIA marketing to say, "Our product improves touch response but isn't as good as Apple's"? At this point I'm starting to wonder if you are just fishing for anything to argue about. Besides, I never said Direct Touch would be worse than Apple's implementation. Direct Touch would take steps to be at least near parity with iOS devices.

Quote:
I don't know, sounds like weak marketing spiel to me and people just like to incorrectly fill in the gaps that are not explained.
I haven't used any tegra 3 devices that had nicer touch.
As I already said, AFAIK no current Tegra 3 devices use direct touch. I at least know that none of the Tegra 3 devices I've owned(Transformer line) use direct touch.

I've defined where in the Android/Linux architecture latency can exist and how Apple's micro-kernel and real time userspace process eliminates these sources of latency compared to Android. I've shown multiple companies devote resources to try fix the touch response on Android/Linux devices and you're still not convinced there is any latency to begin with...You should win the award for Most Stubborn XDA User.

KimCheeZZ
Old
Thanks Meter 5

I wouldn't argue with dalingrin...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

jefflikesbagels
Old
(Last edited by jefflikesbagels; 13th February 2013 at 09:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 8

When I turn on show touches in dev options, the white dot follows my finger about 3/4" behind where my finger is actually pointing. Is this about normal for everyone else? My S3 is a hell of a lot more responsive than my N10.

changeofseasons
Old
Thanks Meter 13
My phone with cm7 has way less input lag than my nexus 10. In dev tools, my finger is never more than .5 of a centimeter away from my finger. Yet the nexus is about an inch away. I would think it would be backwards since my phone runs at around 20 fps during this and the 10 looks to be around 60. They seem to react the same when putting my finger down and taking it off, but when i slide it around it lags behind.
The only explanation I can come up with is that Google added input smoothing to jelly bean because I do not see this in gingerbread or ics.

os2baba
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Default I don't see any Magnification setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared27 View Post
I turned off magnification and my lag is gone! Good call.
Where is the magnification setting on the Nexus 10 developer options? I see "magnification gestures" in Accessibility. But I don't see any magnification in Developer Options. I'm using stock 4.2.3.

Scared27
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by os2baba View Post
Where is the magnification setting on the Nexus 10 developer options? I see "magnification gestures" in Accessibility. But I don't see any magnification in Developer Options. I'm using stock 4.2.3.
I believe it's in accessibility options.

filthygoat223996
Old
Thanks Meter 103
My optimus g has no finger lag, similar to my friend's iPhone 5 whereas my nexus 4 seems to have quite a bit of delay, the lgog and n4 are both very similar. Aosp needs to optimise!

Sent from my LG Optimus G

Current Devices
Google Nexus 5 Stock 4.4.3+Franco
Google Nexus 10, CM11+ Trinity
Past Devices: HTC Amaze, LG Optimus G