Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,368 Members 51,596 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] How to Flash Custom Binaries Without Ever Incrementing the Flash Counter!!

Tip us?

creepyncrawly
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 2962

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexv13 View Post
Hi,

I am also about to install a new kernel for the first time on stock 4.0.4 using MobileOdin and your advice is really helpful. I noticed that the latest Siyah is 7.8.9 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2110542). I am planning to take one step at a time and replace the kernel first, use it with the stock 4.0.4 for a while, then install different ROM (but keep the kernel). Will that work?

Thanks again.
Yes, and using the latest kernel would be my choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to creepyncrawly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

laofan
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepyncrawly View Post
Yes, and using the latest kernel would be my choice.
could you also revise the first post about " only flash the GB kernel"?. I think for stock ICS, flash GB kernel suggested in the post would brick the phone.

Thank you for your work!!

rthecurse
Old
Thanks Meter 0
So, I've got a quick question here. I bought another Samsung SGH-i777, the exact same one. I rooted it the exact same way as the first, and flashed the exact same Custom ROM to it. I have a full "Titanium Backup" backup of the first one. Can I safely restore the apps + system data to the second phone? Or just the apps?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

studacris
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4068

DONATE TO ME
Apps and their data should be ok.
You can chance restoring system data...
if it makes it unstable just wipe and reflash the rom then only restore apps.
What's the best nation on Earth?
DONATION!
The Following User Says Thank You to studacris For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rthecurse
Old
Thanks Meter 0
But they both have the same kernel, modem, and ROM?

rthecurse
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Or maybe, I can just make a NAND backup of the first phone, and restore it to the second, correct? Will the NAND backup include all the user apps?

studacris
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4068

DONATE TO ME
Dude... I said try titanium backup.
Only if it gives you instability issues afterwards try just app data.

Ionno why you needed follow up questions before even trying?
What's the best nation on Earth?
DONATION!
The Following User Says Thank You to studacris For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ranjitvp
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for the great guide. I had bricked my phone by flashing a wrong kernel. I followed your instructions and reverted to stock ROM 2.3.4. I found the wifi not working. I followed your instructions to the letter upto step 4, and loaded shostock 3.02, however wifi is still not working. I have seen other threads on xda regarding this, however none had a conclusive solution. Any suggestions??

creepyncrawly
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 2962

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitvp View Post
Thanks for the great guide. I had bricked my phone by flashing a wrong kernel. I followed your instructions and reverted to stock ROM 2.3.4. I found the wifi not working. I followed your instructions to the letter upto step 4, and loaded shostock 3.02, however wifi is still not working. I have seen other threads on xda regarding this, however none had a conclusive solution. Any suggestions??
Boot into recovery and perform a wipe data/factory reset.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to creepyncrawly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ranjitvp
Old
(Last edited by ranjitvp; 19th June 2013 at 05:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Default Done that.....same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepyncrawly View Post
Boot into recovery and perform a wipe data/factory reset.
Did that a few times, the phone just wont accept the password, keeps saying authentication error and asks for password again. Had done a backup, so returned to ics, with siyah kernel, and the wifi works fine, but the home button doesnt work which is kind of irritating. Thats why I wanted shostock. tried reloading the shostock, and did the wipe/reset, no joy. any more suggestions??

edit to last.... removed the wep security, and its connecting as long as theres no authentication required....wondering why doesn work on wep