Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,569 Members 44,387 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Micro USB to Ethernet Port Adapter for Galaxy note 2

Tip us?

Aleksey001
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by paral View Post
I need this Ethernet-over-USB functionality. I believe it is called CDC-ECM. When I have built a Linux kernel in the past it was included with option "Multi-purpose USB Networking Framework"

Does anyone know of a kernel for Note2 (N7100) that supports this?
I asked the same question. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...light=ethernet
And no one answered. I need this functionality too. It seems nobody can help.
It`s only way to ask ROM builder to add these features to their products, i think.

stuartjack
Old
Thanks Meter 0
up for this thread.. i need this functionality also

Aleksey001
Old
Thanks Meter 1
To confirm the above:
Yearsterday I received USB to RJ45 LAN Ethernet HUB internet Adapter (ebay.com/itm/USB-to-RJ45-LAN-Ethernet-HUB-internet-Adapter-for-google-Android-Tablet-pad-Tab-/250894821624)
It does not work with my Note 2 (GT-N7100, Omega v12 - XXDMB2), although it works great with ASUS PadFone2 and with desktop (windows7 64).

lucian75
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Default Re: [Q] Micro USB to Ethernet Port Adapter for Galaxy note 2

I don't understand peoples who make things more complicated that can be...when u can find so many small wifi router even with mobile battery.in a wire LESS world u want to use meters of wires for what?it's a mobile phone not a desktop pc with so many wires.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

Compfucius
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Cool Micro USB to Ethernet Port Adapter for Galaxy note 2

Hi folks

usb to ethernet seems to work on Android for some, I guess hardware and operating system (embedded drivers?) have to match this device

For my Asus Transformer I can use their ethernet adapter by simply plug it in.
On my Samsung Note 2 JB 4.1 nothing happens...

Would rooting help?
Anyone managed to have it work?

I know that wifi is a much easier method but it's good to know it doesn't work on this device

Sorry for my bad english, I'll try to improve

these items works on the Transformer with JB 4.1
Code:
 img716.imageshack.us/img716/7829/dsc0891800.jpg
Oops, no external links for noobs

thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Compfucius For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Aleksey001
Old
(Last edited by Aleksey001; 28th March 2013 at 01:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucian75 View Post
I don't understand peoples who make things more complicated that can be...when u can find so many small wifi router even with mobile battery.in a wire LESS world u want to use meters of wires for what?it's a mobile phone not a desktop pc with so many wires.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium
I don't understand people, who think: if i don't need it, nobody need it.
I bought note to use it on work. Ideally it should be used instead of a laptop.
The problem is that I am not allowed, for safety reasons, to use wireless link.
And actually it interesting to make it work.
But thanks for the tip, in other way it can be useful.

Aleksey001
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compfucius View Post
Hi folks
usb to ethernet seems to work on Android for some, I guess hardware and operating system (embedded drivers?) have to match this device

For my Asus Transformer I can use their ethernet adapter by simply plug it in.
On my Samsung Note 2 JB 4.1 nothing happens...

Would rooting help?
Anyone managed to have it work?
As discussed above it did not work with N2.
I think Renthal (message #8) and el56 (message #9) are right.
We need kernel for Note2 (N7100) that supports this feature.
But still nobody has found the ROM or Kernel for GT-N7100, which correctly work with USB Ethernet adapter.
Only root will not help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aleksey001 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

el56
Old
Thanks Meter 41
I have a second device, a Nexus 7, which (unlike my N2) is rooted. The stock kernel in the Nexus 7 does not support Ethernet-over-USB, and many third-party kernels also do not. However, I did find one kernel -- "Bricked" -- that did. Since installing that kernel, that device now works very well over wired using a $2 OTG cable and a $4 USB Ethernet adaptor (both bought on eBay)

(That setup actually worked in a real-world situation - a hotel in Beijing, that has only wired Internet - in which a Wifi Ethernet router didn't work because of post-connection login requirements.)

This experiences confirms the contention that the drivers for Ethernet-over USB are *available* for Android kernels, but that stock kernels (and most auxilliary ones) have chosen not to implement them. The answer for Note 2 users is to convince Samsung (or, more likely, custom kernel builders) to enable Ethernet drivers that already exist.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Vatharian
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I remember seeing patches for Honeycomb stock kernels for numerous devices that add alot of drivers. It maybe feasible to compile the kernel modules and insmod them, if we have kernel sources. Do we have them? Hellllllooooo?!
And I'd like to have this functionality. To all people wondering why one would need to use such *cough* ancient *cough* technology as wires:
At my workplace there is no 3G coverage (hell, it struggles to connect to EDGE, falling back to GPRS, voice calls also suck), and we're not allowed to use any kind of WiFi or Bluetooth or any other radio, including wireless mouse/keyboards (corporate industrial network sucks all the channels, anyway), but we're supplied with wired, unfiltered network going straight to internet, just for sake of having internet on our devices (my work consists of cycles 1-2 hours of intense coding, and 1-2 hours of empty waiting for tests), so we won't get bored to death. So.... I want my ethernet dongle working!
,,,^..^,,,
[1]: HTC Artemis, WM6.1 Vanilla/WWE 4.01 crashed on rain tracks by cousin
[2]: HTC Rhodium, WM6.1 b16b's AthineOS 1.0 NAKED (gifted to GF)
[3]: HTC Sensation, Android 4.4.2 - Albinoman887's CM11, mainly music player
[4]: Samsung Galaxy Note 2, OmniRom Android 4.4.2, main device
My first PC was 8086 8 MHz, 512 kB RAM and 12 MB HDD.
Now I have total of six 1.6 GHz cores, 2.5 GB of RAM and 90 GB of storage in my pocket... that's incredible!

Diim
Old
(Last edited by Diim; 29th June 2013 at 05:44 PM.)
Thanks Meter 8
Yeah, I really need that feature too.
I have 2 young daugthers and my wife doesn't want to hear about wifi or 3G at home, cause of health concerns.

And in addition, I work in a company where wireless connections are not allowed for security reasons.

So Ethernet connection through USB adaptateur is almost the only option for me.

But isn't it possible to install drivers on an androids smartphone, as we usually do on PC ?
(Sorry for the newb question)

The Following User Says Thank You to Diim For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]