Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,807 Members 52,872 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[TUT]Move All Installed Apps To SD Card

Tip us?

anivesh93
Old
(Last edited by anivesh93; 15th January 2013 at 06:15 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 87
Default [TUT]Move All Installed Apps To SD Card

1)Download the latest version of Android SDK (which includes adb executable)

2)If you are installing Android SDK on Windows machine, you also need to install USB driver.

3)Connect the phone using USB cable and do not enable USB storage mode.
Go to Settings -> Applications -> Development and enable USB debugging.
Make sure you also check install from unknown sources option.

4)Start terminal window on your computer (on Windows: click Start, type “cmd” and press Enter).

5)In the terminal window, navigate to this folder : C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools by default.
Check C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools if you’re using a 32-bit version of Windows.

6)Run the adb devices command and you should see your connected Android device.Enter : adb devices

7)Enter : adb shell pm set-install-location 2
(If this command doesn’t work try using the “old” command: pm setInstallLocation 2)

8)If you want to revert this change later and install apps to the internal storage by default, run this command: adb shell pm set-install-location 0
( 0 represents your device’s internal storage, and is the default. 2 represents the external storage, whether it’s an SD card or USB storage. )

9)If the process is sucessfully completed,you will get a new prompt in the cmd window.Reboot and start moving the apps.

A Warning:Some apps shouldn’t be installed to your SD card and should remain installed on the internal storage. The external storage is unavailable when your Android device is mounted on your computer, so apps that remain running all the time should be left on your internal storage.

PRESS THANKS IF IT HELPED,CHEERS!

Video Link to the tutorial : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjfk9...ature=youtu.be
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tut0.PNG
Views:	2151
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1214002   Click image for larger version

Name:	tut1.PNG
Views:	1210
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	1214003   Click image for larger version

Name:	tut2.PNG
Views:	1125
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	1214004  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to anivesh93 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

goro17
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Sorry noob Q. Does this install to the external SD? it seems it installs to the sdcard folder on the phone.

mihahn
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by goro17 View Post
Sorry noob Q. Does this install to the external SD? it seems it installs to the sdcard folder on the phone.
There is no internal sd card folder, if you see the folder in a file manager it ever means the "external sd card" cause we have no internal (like on the galaxy nexus or sgs3)

Sent from my SK17i running Jelly Bean via CM10

Devices/Links/Information:

Device:Google Nexus 4 8gb
ROM:Stock Android 4.4.2 [KOT49H]

Device:Google Nexus 7 32gb
ROM:Stock Android 4.4.2 [KRT16O]

Device:Xperia Mini Pro SK17i
ROM: Super Jelly Bean 8.0
Kernel:nAa 2.6 [CWM]

Device:Raspberry Pi Model B

For a Rooting Guide for xperia 2011 devices, click me! | To unlock the Bootloader, click me! | How to install a custom kernel/rom? Click me | Super Jelly Bean 8.0 for xperia mdpi
The Following User Says Thank You to mihahn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

anivesh93
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihahn View Post
There is no internal sd card folder, if you see the folder in a file manager it ever means the "external sd card" cause we have no internal (like on the galaxy nexus or sgs3)

Sent from my SK17i running Jelly Bean via CM10
I meant internal storage....which every phone has(atleast in sony phones.....IDK abt others).....this is where the apps are installed by default
The Following User Says Thank You to anivesh93 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

goro17
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by anivesh93 View Post
I meant internal storage....which every phone has(atleast in sony phones.....IDK abt others).....this is where the apps are installed by default
Couple more Qs:

1) Just to be clear... the method mentioned above " install app to SD card" means installing to the USB storage in SG S2 right? (I just noticed that this the SONY area...I thought the problem would be universal for all android?)

2) Except for the system apps, can't you just move the apps that you get from the market to the USB storage (SD card folder) by going to setup>applications.....move to SD card ?? I thought going through the setup moved the app files to the USB storage anyway. Then why go through the ADB? Is it just for the convenience of not have to move the apps individually one by one?

3) So, there's no way to install the apps directly to an external SD (miro SD)?

anivesh93
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by goro17 View Post
Couple more Qs:

1) Just to be clear... the method mentioned above " install app to SD card" means installing to the USB storage in SG S2 right? (I just noticed that this the SONY area...I thought the problem would be universal for all android?)

2) Except for the system apps, can't you just move the apps that you get from the market to the USB storage (SD card folder) by going to setup>applications.....move to SD card ?? I thought going through the setup moved the app files to the USB storage anyway. Then why go through the ADB? Is it just for the convenience of not have to move the apps individually one by one?

3) So, there's no way to install the apps directly to an external SD (miro SD)?

1)yes,this will move the apps to the external storage...
2)Some apps like the flash player and whatsapp can't be moved to the sd card even if they aren't system apps,this method will move them too..
3)if you enable this method...then apps will be installed to the sd card by default

goro17
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by anivesh93 View Post
1)yes,this will move the apps to the external storage...
2)Some apps like the flash player and whatsapp can't be moved to the sd card even if they aren't system apps,this method will move them too..
3)if you enable this method...then apps will be installed to the sd card by default
Tried it and seemed as if there was no prob....,but it still installs apps to internal memory...rebooted and retried several times. I installed apps from the playstore....

There were no errors and after downloading ADB from SDK i followed your instructions and typed the following:

adb devices
adb shell pm set-install-location 2 (initially tried setinstalLocation 2, but came up with error)

any idea why its not working?

My phone is SGS2 GT-i9100T

anivesh93
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 87
This is a video link to the tutorial : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjfk9...ature=youtu.be

CHEERS!

archz2
Old
Thanks Meter 2
i did this trick, i cross checked the default install location to 2. it shows fine. but i want to ask that do all the files of an installed program get installed on the sd card? I mean is it complete and full installation of an application on the SD card or some program files will get to internal memory also and rest would be in the sd card?

I factory reset my spice mi-280 android 2.3 version phone and tried this trick, but as i am installing an application, my internal memory is getting filled up little by little as i install more apps.

anivesh93
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 87
Some part of the app obviously remains in the internal memory.These are the important files need to start the app and run it without bugs.As you must have seen in the case of games,most of it is transferred to the SD card but some part remains in the internal storage.The tutorial enabled the remaining apps to move part of the installed app to the SD card so as to make space in the internal memory.

Hope it helped.

Tags
[tut]