Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,731 Members 50,766 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q[SOLVED]]how to port android apps

Tip us?

dragonhustler
Old
(Last edited by dragonhustler; 14th February 2013 at 12:11 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 98
Default [Q[SOLVED]]how to port android apps

So i just wanna ask what i have to edit to port android apps from other devices is it the manifest only or what?

Sent from my SK17i using xda premium

RavinduSha
Old
Thanks Meter 302

DONATE TO ME
I think u don't have to edit anything in a app to make it work on other devices. Normally they work on every device

dragonhustler
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 98
Default Re: [Q]how to port android apps

Yeah but others are not installing

The Following User Says Thank You to dragonhustler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

abcdjdj
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2723
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonhustler View Post
Yeah but others are not installing

If you want to try using a system app, then place your apk in /system/app and set permissions - chmod 0644. The permissions look somewhat like this -
xx-
x--
x--

This can be done using any file manager. I recommand using Root Browser by Jrummy.

Click here to see my contributions to XDA

My phone history - Xperia Mini ST15i > Xperia S LT26i > Xperia T2 Ultra Dual D5322
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abcdjdj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dragonhustler
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 98

yeah i have tried that but not working when i reboot apps are not there these are jelly bean apps that i want to use so anyway of editing this to make it compatible to ics?

The Following User Says Thank You to dragonhustler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

abcdjdj
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2723
Quote:
yeah i have tried that but not working when i reboot apps are not there these are jelly bean apps that i want to use so anyway of editing this to make it compatible to ics?

Theoretically, the Application Programming Interface ( API ) of Jelly Bean is higher than that of ICS. Hence some features of the Jelly Bean apk may not work on ICS, or the apk may not even work. It depends on what you are trying to port. Some Xperia Z apps have already been ported for ICS, but other phone brand apks are very difficult to port.

My phone history - Xperia Mini ST15i > Xperia S LT26i > Xperia T2 Ultra Dual D5322
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abcdjdj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dragonhustler
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdjdj View Post
Theoretically, the Application Programming Interface ( API ) of Jelly Bean is higher than that of ICS. Hence some features of the Jelly Bean apk may not work on ICS, or the apk may not even work. It depends on what you are trying to port. Some Xperia Z apps have already been ported for ICS, but other phone brand apks are very difficult to port.
Now you have helped me so you mean that if I manage maybe to mess. With the API then I can manage to port it to ics?

abcdjdj
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2723

Quote:
Now you have helped me so you mean that if I manage maybe to mess. With the API then I can manage to port it to ics?

You cannot mess with the API level. Although it can be changed in androidmanifest.xml, many features of the app won't work. Still, you can try using APK2JAVA or APKTOOL to decompile and check the apk that you need to port. If you don't know java, then it would be difficult.

Sent from my LT26i using xda app-developers app

The Following User Says Thank You to abcdjdj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RavinduSha
Old
Thanks Meter 302

DONATE TO ME
that will be a very very tough work
The Following User Says Thank You to RavinduSha For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dragonhustler
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdjdj View Post
You cannot mess with the API level. Although it can be changed in androidmanifest.xml, many features of the app won't work. Still, you can try using APK2JAVA or APKTOOL to decompile and check the apk that you need to port. If you don't know java, then it would be difficult.

Sent from my LT26i using xda app-developers app
Yeah I know java but what's the difference between Dex2jar and APK2JAVA?