Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
View Poll Results: In your opinion, when looking back at this thread, how easy were the instructions?
Very Easy 87 32.10%
Somewhat Easy 43 15.87%
Easy 71 26.20%
Difficult 29 10.70%
Somewhat Difficult 16 5.90%
Very Difficult 25 9.23%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply

[BACKUP][RECOVERY] Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide Software - Noob (Simple) Version

OP prokennexusa

13th February 2013, 01:25 PM   |  #461  
lacoursiere18's Avatar
Recognized Themer
Flag LbTs
Thanks Meter: 4,944
 
3,489 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Donate to Me
More
hey guys! I see that your really busy making progress on your softwareand thats awesome! I posted a while back, just to see how sick my kindle was...
13th February 2013, 02:47 PM   |  #462  
Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
87 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
Re: [BACKUP][RECOVERY] Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide Software - Noob (Simple) Versi
Quote:
Originally Posted by prokennexusa

point99trash2011,

Yes, this is an odd one but I figured if your Kindle could do it, our Kindles should do it. I played for about 1 1/2 hour, trying ROM Toolbox, then a wide array of Fastboot commands, then finally wham, we nailed it! So we just added the code to our software.

Thank you VERY much, if you did not make the comment we would have not dug as deep as we did today. The hard efforts paid off.

This is a real blessing and has taken our software to the next level.

Take care and have a great night!

Glad to have been the cause of inspiration. I also tested my ability to reboot into it via adb, as well as directly via a terminal window. Both operated the same. So what was the "magic item" that suddenly allowed these things to boot into fastboot without anything attached? Cause literally the only thing I have changed other than root, playstore and launcher is busybox.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD
13th February 2013, 02:53 PM   |  #463  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 28
 
262 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by prokennexusa

Random Username,

The hidden driver is your problem. Windows hides driver when they are not activated, so for some reason your PC is not detecting the Kindle correctly. As you know, the Android ADB Interface is key to ADB Communicating to the Kindle through Windows.

We have to ask, are you 100% sure ADB Is ON in the Kindle interface More + > Security Enable ADB ON

When you installed the driver were there any errors? Try REMOVING the current driver by Unplugging the Kindle, show hidden devices in Windows Device Manager. Remove ALL Kindle drivers found, be sure to check the box "Remove from Computer". Then reboot the PC, plug the Kindle into USB, see if you indeed removed the drivers. The Kindle should show two Yellow Triangles when the driver is removed completely. If all looks good and the drivers are wiped, then install this driver: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/KFHDUSB.zip

There is an executable inside that folder, try that driver. VERY important, before you install the driver do:

Code:
bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS 
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON
Then reboot your PC and install the driver. After you install the driver, please reboot the PC again, then after reboot, plug the Kindle into USB. Check the Windows Device Manager, are the driver available now?

I removed the drivers, rebooted, but didn't install your driver. It automatically installed a driver when I connected my Kindle and it works now

So, how do I revert these bcdedit settings?

BTW, I just noticed that my Amazon GameCircle name is LuxuriantNimbleHelp Know anything about that?
Last edited by Random Username; 13th February 2013 at 05:03 PM.
13th February 2013, 04:32 PM   |  #464  
AmrBanawan's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Alexandria
Thanks Meter: 44
 
245 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
More
Angry
@prokennexus

I tried to run option 12 "backup the kindle to the sd card"

and i got the following output



We Are Now Starting The ADB Server
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
D025A0A024320AXL device


We Are Now Executing The Backup, Please Wait......

Please Ignore Any Errors Above This Line
I Am Backing Up Partition 1 (xloader)
I Am Backing Up Partition 2 (bootloader)
I Am Backing Up Partition 3 (idme)
I Am Backing Up Partition 4 (crypto)
I Am Backing Up Partition 5 (misc)
I Am Backing Up Partition 6 (dkernel)
I Am Backing Up Partition 7 (dfs)
I Am Backing Up Partition 8 (efs)
I Am Backing Up Partition 9 (recovery)
I Am Backing Up Partition 10 (boot)
I Am Backing Up Partition 11 (system)
We Are Now Modify Ownership/Permissions Of All Archives




Backup complete! Please Copy The KindleBackup
Folder From The SD Card To Your Desktop. Do
It Before You Have A Problem With The Kindle


Press any key to continue . . .


But there is no backup on my kindle's sdcard


and when i try to run option 15 i get

the system cannot find the path specified

what am i missing?!
Last edited by AmrBanawan; 13th February 2013 at 05:47 PM.
13th February 2013, 05:47 PM   |  #465  
stopeject's Avatar
Senior Member
Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 35
 
177 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
More
Thanks a lot for taking time to answer my questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prokennexusa

We do not mind answering the question "what is it you do with all those Kindles, and what is the ultimate goal of your development efforts?"

Let's first answer the question about the Kindle. We love the Kindle, it is a solid TI platform developed around a fast processor and GPU. It takes a little work but after you install a lightweight Launcher, Browser, Video Player, Music Player, audio upgrades, video upgrades and Gapps the Kindle becomes one of the best Multi-media platforms available for the money. The screen has resolution that is very close to the expensive iPad, it is one of the few tablets that support Dolby Surround natively. It is by far the best sounding tablet, it sounds much better than the Nexus 10! And the Nexus 10 is about $400 more. As mentioned the other day, we are posting a nice How to for the Kindle, the focus will be how to make the Kindle Fast and competitive with the Nexus and Transformer platforms.

Actually, Nexus 10 is only $100-150 more. I'm still considering returning Kindle and getting N10 because of unrestricted JB, built in GPS and other sensors and dual cameras. I like solid build quality, slick form factor and price of Kindle 8.9, but it's performance has been questionable so far. Google Maps are jerkier than on iPad1, many apps are difficult to load, not possible to install a new keyboard, replace or completely disable the lock screen. Every time when an app crashes, I keep asking myself if Amazon's Android implementation is to blame for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokennexusa

Finally what is our goal with the software. Sort term the goal is to have a package that allows quick Kindle backup and recovery, we have met that goal. The long term goal is to have a package that is complete, allowing you to install software like Gapps in less than 60 seconds - that currently takes a person 30 minutes to 1 hour. The package will edit the upper and lower status bars, install simple performance tweaks, it will have over 100 packages available to install on the Kindle with one Click. The software we will focus on is the ones that have to be side loaded into /system/app - the software will Root the Kindle with one click, it will unroot the Kindle in one click.

So that is the short version, the feature list is currently over 100 items long, so we have hundreds of hours of development left. If you have a feature you would like us to integrate, please let us know, we will add it to the software manifest.

Your work is another reason to keep my Kindle!
The Following User Says Thank You to stopeject For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th February 2013, 07:05 PM   |  #466  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by prokennexusa

Random Username,

The hidden driver is your problem. Windows hides driver when they are not activated, so for some reason your PC is not detecting the Kindle correctly. As you know, the Android ADB Interface is key to ADB Communicating to the Kindle through Windows.

We have to ask, are you 100% sure ADB Is ON in the Kindle interface More + > Security Enable ADB ON

When you installed the driver were there any errors? Try REMOVING the current driver by Unplugging the Kindle, show hidden devices in Windows Device Manager. Remove ALL Kindle drivers found, be sure to check the box "Remove from Computer". Then reboot the PC, plug the Kindle into USB, see if you indeed removed the drivers. The Kindle should show two Yellow Triangles when the driver is removed completely. If all looks good and the drivers are wiped, then install this driver: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/KFHDUSB.zip

There is an executable inside that folder, try that driver. VERY important, before you install the driver do:

Code:
bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS 
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON
Then reboot your PC and install the driver. After you install the driver, please reboot the PC again, then after reboot, plug the Kindle into USB. Check the Windows Device Manager, are the driver available now?

I just want to say that after literally about four hours (plus more last night) of trying to get the KFHD7 to back up the partitions via option 15, this post has been the ONLY thing that correctly got it working under Windows 8 for me. I have tried so many driver combinations, my factory cable (which I was convinced was simply a dud from ebay), my regular cable (which eventually is what worked!), and can only think this hidden device or this particular driver download is what fixed it.

I recommend no matter how well you think you've been doing it that anyone having continuing issues do exactly as was said there. I eventually got a popup on the KFHD7 asking for adb/root permission that I had never gotten before, and it immediately started to back up after granting access.

THANK YOU! I can at least now proceed to seeing where I screw things up.
13th February 2013, 08:11 PM   |  #467  
prokennexusa's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Petaluma
Thanks Meter: 962
 
2,637 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
Donate to Me
More
Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide Software - Noob (Simple) Version
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacoursiere18

hey guys! I see that your really busy making progress on your softwareand thats awesome! I posted a while back, just to see how sick my kindle was...

lacoursiere18,

Your Kindle is in real bad shape, we had attempted several methods of recovery all failed, so we are now waiting for the Factory USB Cables to arrive so we can perform a restore (we ran out of stock). We are on track to be able to get this out before the end of the week.

We will send you a PM when we have shipped the Kindle back to you.
13th February 2013, 08:20 PM   |  #468  
prokennexusa's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Petaluma
Thanks Meter: 962
 
2,637 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
Donate to Me
More
Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide Software - Noob (Simple) Version
Quote:
Originally Posted by point99trash2011

Glad to have been the cause of inspiration. I also tested my ability to reboot into it via adb, as well as directly via a terminal window. Both operated the same. So what was the "magic item" that suddenly allowed these things to boot into fastboot without anything attached? Cause literally the only thing I have changed other than root, playstore and launcher is busybox.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD


point99trash2011,

You nailed it. If we sent a regular ADB Command to the Kindle, it would reboot but it would only reboot in regular mode, so we kept trying different scenarios. The one that finally worked was sending a superuser command to the Kindle asking it to reboot in recovery mode and bamm it worked.

The part that is a bit perplexing is we have tried this command several times in the past without success so why it works today is unknown. This is one of those situations we do not ask why, we are just happy it works.

Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to prokennexusa For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th February 2013, 08:46 PM   |  #469  
prokennexusa's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Petaluma
Thanks Meter: 962
 
2,637 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
Donate to Me
More
Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide Software - Noob (Simple) Version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Username

I removed the drivers, rebooted, but didn't install your driver. It automatically installed a driver when I connected my Kindle and it works now

So, how do I revert these bcdedit settings?

BTW, I just noticed that my Amazon GameCircle name is LuxuriantNimbleHelp Know anything about that?

Random Username,

Excellent work Random Username, we knew you would be able to get the job done. Can you clarify your question about Amazon GameCircle? Does the Amazon GameCircle name match your Amazon login name?

Since you are done installing the Kindle ADB Driver, you can issue the following command to return Windows 8 to a normal state:
Code:
bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS 
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF
Last edited by prokennexusa; 13th February 2013 at 08:49 PM.
13th February 2013, 08:55 PM   |  #470  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 28
 
262 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by prokennexusa

Random Username,

Excellent work Random Username, we knew you would be able to get the job done. Can you clarify your question about Amazon GameCircle? Does the Amazon GameCircle name match your Amazon login name?

Of course it doesn't match I think the GameCircle profile is simply a local account, I can't find another way to explain that.

I can't thank you enough, but there is still something I would like to know: Is it possible to change the lockscreen backgrounds and the UI font?
Last edited by Random Username; 13th February 2013 at 09:02 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
kfhd system.img restore tool, kindle fire brick, kindle fire recovery, kindle fire restore, kindle fire utility
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes