5,815,214 Members 39,396 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Getting my Note 2 tomorrow - ROM recommendations?

Tip us?
 
magus57
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 278
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chicago
Default Getting my Note 2 tomorrow - ROM recommendations?

Currently using a GSM Galaxy Nexus with SlimBean, and I've used ParanoidAndroid recently but ultimately didn't like it due to the size of the screen. I'd prefer a ROM that maintains (or doesn't break) most of the stock features (S-Pen and Bluetooth/Apt-X particularly), and I've heard MIUI is good in that regard; I haven't used it in the past (on my Galaxy Nexus of G2) because I always found it too laggy and too high on RAM usage, but I've always liked the overall look/feel and features. Something that isn't too hard to get working with tethering (without the plan obviously) would be nice too.

Anyway, recommendations? I'd appreciate reasons for the recommendation too, and something more than just "great battery life" (which I appreciate, but with the size of the phone battery and how often I'm near a charger, it's literally the least of my concern). Thanks!
 
ericshmerick
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 259
Posts: 1,447
Join Date: Apr 2006
Stock. No, seriously.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ericshmerick For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
heWHOshallNOTbeNAMED
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 11
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default Re: Getting my Note 2 tomorrow - ROM recommendations?

I would recommend using jedi master 9 or tweaked 1.3, both are debloated with lots of customization options. I'm up to around 5gb of tethering for the month and I don't have that on my plan right now so I would say to go that route!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heWHOshallNOTbeNAMED For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
audscott
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 49
Posts: 524
Join Date: Feb 2008
I think my tastes are similar to you. I've tried all the ROMs, from AOSP/AOKP, CM10, MIUI, ICS & Jellybean and, for me, "myrom" V 3.5 (4) is top notch. I haven't tried tethering, but other forum participants report it works well.

It's an Aroma installer, weighing in at 1.5GHz so all apps are available to install or reject, including custom installation. Its super fast and remarkably stable.

An alternative is Jedi (xx), although it's not my favorite.

I've combinted "myrom" with Xone kernel at 2.0 GHz It makes the fast even faster and battery usage isn't too bad, but I'll bet stock kernel is damned good.
Auddie
 
aristo2jzgte
Old
#5  
aristo2jzgte's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 160
Posts: 624
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: orange county ca
Default Re: Getting my Note 2 tomorrow - ROM recommendations?

Myrom hands down! !!!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium
With no risk comes no reward!
 
bradsh1
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 70
Posts: 275
Join Date: Sep 2009
Default Re: Getting my Note 2 tomorrow - ROM recommendations?

Be aware that some roms are missing seriously important features like snote, Wifi calling, multi Window, pen button support, etc

I'd just go for the tweaked tmobile specific touchwiz roms. But then, I require Wifi calling.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app
 
magus57
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 278
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
Stock. No, seriously.
While I don't mind Touchwiz, I'd hate to be missing so many standard ROM options.


Quote:
Originally Posted by heWHOshallNOTbeNAMED View Post
I would recommend using jedi master 9 or tweaked 1.3, both are debloated with lots of customization options. I'm up to around 5gb of tethering for the month and I don't have that on my plan right now so I would say to go that route!
Quote:
Originally Posted by audscott View Post
I think my tastes are similar to you. I've tried all the ROMs, from AOSP/AOKP, CM10, MIUI, ICS & Jellybean and, for me, "myrom" V 3.5 (4) is top notch. I haven't tried tethering, but other forum participants report it works well.

It's an Aroma installer, weighing in at 1.5GHz so all apps are available to install or reject, including custom installation. Its super fast and remarkably stable.

An alternative is Jedi (xx), although it's not my favorite.

I've combinted "myrom" with Xone kernel at 2.0 GHz It makes the fast even faster and battery usage isn't too bad, but I'll bet stock kernel is damned good.
How are any of those three with Samsung/S-Pen features?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsh1 View Post
Be aware that some roms are missing seriously important features like snote, Wifi calling, multi Window, pen button support, etc

I'd just go for the tweaked tmobile specific touchwiz roms. But then, I require Wifi calling.
Is there a list of ROMs off the stock base or that have most of the stock features, S-Pen particularly? Out of what you listed, pen features and multi window are probably the only two I care most about.
 
6Seven
Old
#8  
6Seven's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 332
Posts: 288
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago
Default Re: Getting my Note 2 tomorrow - ROM recommendations?

I just got my Note 2 four days ago and I've been running JediXX. I love it. Wasn't really a big fan of TW roms with my SGS2 but on the Note 2 its pretty tight.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium
 
csmith1289
Old
#9  
csmith1289's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 30
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default Re: Getting my Note 2 tomorrow - ROM recommendations?

Jedi xx is my favorite

C.S.
 
Judge Joseph Dredd
Old
#10  
Judge Joseph Dredd's Avatar
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator - Judgment is Coming
Thanks Meter 25,559
Posts: 15,144
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mega-City One
OP, TBH I recommend just trying them for yourself, take a run thru the ROM threads, read and read. See what catches your eye, then test. Thanks



THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes