T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more
Thread Closed

Getting my Note 2 tomorrow - ROM recommendations?

OP magus57

13th February 2013, 04:48 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 12

278 posts
More
Currently using a GSM Galaxy Nexus with SlimBean, and I've used ParanoidAndroid recently but ultimately didn't like it due to the size of the screen. I'd prefer a ROM that maintains (or doesn't break) most of the stock features (S-Pen and Bluetooth/Apt-X particularly), and I've heard MIUI is good in that regard; I haven't used it in the past (on my Galaxy Nexus of G2) because I always found it too laggy and too high on RAM usage, but I've always liked the overall look/feel and features. Something that isn't too hard to get working with tethering (without the plan obviously) would be nice too.

Anyway, recommendations? I'd appreciate reasons for the recommendation too, and something more than just "great battery life" (which I appreciate, but with the size of the phone battery and how often I'm near a charger, it's literally the least of my concern). Thanks!
13th February 2013, 06:24 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 259

1,448 posts
More
Stock. No, seriously.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ericshmerick For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th February 2013, 06:27 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 4

11 posts
Re: Getting my Note 2 tomorrow - ROM recommendations?
I would recommend using jedi master 9 or tweaked 1.3, both are debloated with lots of customization options. I'm up to around 5gb of tethering for the month and I don't have that on my plan right now so I would say to go that route!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heWHOshallNOTbeNAMED For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th February 2013, 06:34 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 49

524 posts
I think my tastes are similar to you. I've tried all the ROMs, from AOSP/AOKP, CM10, MIUI, ICS & Jellybean and, for me, "myrom" V 3.5 (4) is top notch. I haven't tried tethering, but other forum participants report it works well.

It's an Aroma installer, weighing in at 1.5GHz so all apps are available to install or reject, including custom installation. Its super fast and remarkably stable.

An alternative is Jedi (xx), although it's not my favorite.

I've combinted "myrom" with Xone kernel at 2.0 GHz It makes the fast even faster and battery usage isn't too bad, but I'll bet stock kernel is damned good.
13th February 2013, 06:35 AM   |  #5  
Flag orange county ca
Thanks Meter: 160

628 posts
More
Myrom hands down! !!!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium
13th February 2013, 05:50 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 70

275 posts
Be aware that some roms are missing seriously important features like snote, Wifi calling, multi Window, pen button support, etc

I'd just go for the tweaked tmobile specific touchwiz roms. But then, I require Wifi calling.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app
13th February 2013, 06:23 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 12

278 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshmerick

Stock. No, seriously.

While I don't mind Touchwiz, I'd hate to be missing so many standard ROM options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heWHOshallNOTbeNAMED

I would recommend using jedi master 9 or tweaked 1.3, both are debloated with lots of customization options. I'm up to around 5gb of tethering for the month and I don't have that on my plan right now so I would say to go that route!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audscott

I think my tastes are similar to you. I've tried all the ROMs, from AOSP/AOKP, CM10, MIUI, ICS & Jellybean and, for me, "myrom" V 3.5 (4) is top notch. I haven't tried tethering, but other forum participants report it works well.

It's an Aroma installer, weighing in at 1.5GHz so all apps are available to install or reject, including custom installation. Its super fast and remarkably stable.

An alternative is Jedi (xx), although it's not my favorite.

I've combinted "myrom" with Xone kernel at 2.0 GHz It makes the fast even faster and battery usage isn't too bad, but I'll bet stock kernel is damned good.

How are any of those three with Samsung/S-Pen features?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsh1

Be aware that some roms are missing seriously important features like snote, Wifi calling, multi Window, pen button support, etc

I'd just go for the tweaked tmobile specific touchwiz roms. But then, I require Wifi calling.

Is there a list of ROMs off the stock base or that have most of the stock features, S-Pen particularly? Out of what you listed, pen features and multi window are probably the only two I care most about.
13th February 2013, 06:53 PM   |  #8  
Chicago
Thanks Meter: 332

289 posts
More
I just got my Note 2 four days ago and I've been running JediXX. I love it. Wasn't really a big fan of TW roms with my SGS2 but on the Note 2 its pretty tight.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium
13th February 2013, 09:24 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 4

30 posts
Jedi xx is my favorite

C.S.
14th February 2013, 02:22 PM   |  #10  
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator - Judgment is Coming
Mega-City One
Thanks Meter: 26,134

15,347 posts
More
OP, TBH I recommend just trying them for yourself, take a run thru the ROM threads, read and read. See what catches your eye, then test. Thanks

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread