Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Cannot get Verizon update to work

OP bshpmark

12th February 2013, 06:53 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

67 posts
More
Over the past month or so I have tried several times to update my S3 with the Jelly Bean update from Verizon. Each time I try it I get a message that the software failed to install.

O I need to unroot the phone and lock the bootloader in order to update? Anyone else had this problem? Right now I am on Android version 4.0.4 and I think the update is 4.1.2.
12th February 2013, 07:15 PM   |  #2  
Flag Thane
Thanks Meter: 19

1,127 posts
Donate to Me
More
Re: [Q] Cannot get Verizon update to work
I believe for the official update you have to be unrooted and have a locked bootloader unless you do it from kies where it can revert it complete to stock and unroot it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
13th February 2013, 11:56 AM   |  #3  
Flag Chadbourn, NC
Thanks Meter: 92

350 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djteotancolis

I believe for the official update you have to be unrooted and have a locked bootloader unless you do it from kies where it can revert it complete to stock and unroot it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

You are 100% correct. Update will fail due to custom recovery. OP, why not download one of the many JB ROMS from the development section and flash it? Not only will it update your phone, it will be much better than stock as well as easier to install.
13th February 2013, 07:13 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

67 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHF2

You are 100% correct. Update will fail due to custom recovery. OP, why not download one of the many JB ROMS from the development section and flash it? Not only will it update your phone, it will be much better than stock as well as easier to install.

I have not yet ventured into flashing other ROMS but am certainly willing to give it a try. I know there are many available but can you suggest one or two that i can try.
13th February 2013, 07:24 PM   |  #5  
Flag Chadbourn, NC
Thanks Meter: 92

350 posts
More
Really tough to suggest a ROM, there are a lot of different options depending on what you are looking for. Clean ROM is pretty much stock that has been optimized, I would probably start there since you have only done stock. You can then make a nandroid and flash other ROMS and see which one you like the best.

Just remember, read all of the stickies so that you have everything backed up in case something goes wrong. It takes less time to read and learn it before you have a problem and then don't have what you need to fix it nor the know-how.
13th February 2013, 07:57 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

67 posts
More
Okay, so I download a ROM zip file. I copy it to me microSD card. I have TWRP on my phone. I assume I just go into recovery mode, wipe the cache and Dalvik cache and then just install the zip via TWRP. Is that all I need to do?
13th February 2013, 08:10 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

67 posts
More
Never mind. I just flashed the Jelly_Beans10 ROM and it works fine.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread