Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,165 Members 44,022 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Cannot get Verizon update to work

Tip us?

bshpmark
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] Cannot get Verizon update to work

Over the past month or so I have tried several times to update my S3 with the Jelly Bean update from Verizon. Each time I try it I get a message that the software failed to install.

O I need to unroot the phone and lock the bootloader in order to update? Anyone else had this problem? Right now I am on Android version 4.0.4 and I think the update is 4.1.2.

djteotancolis
Old
Thanks Meter 19

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [Q] Cannot get Verizon update to work

I believe for the official update you have to be unrooted and have a locked bootloader unless you do it from kies where it can revert it complete to stock and unroot it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

HHF2
Old
Thanks Meter 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by djteotancolis View Post
I believe for the official update you have to be unrooted and have a locked bootloader unless you do it from kies where it can revert it complete to stock and unroot it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
You are 100% correct. Update will fail due to custom recovery. OP, why not download one of the many JB ROMS from the development section and flash it? Not only will it update your phone, it will be much better than stock as well as easier to install.

bshpmark
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHF2 View Post
You are 100% correct. Update will fail due to custom recovery. OP, why not download one of the many JB ROMS from the development section and flash it? Not only will it update your phone, it will be much better than stock as well as easier to install.
I have not yet ventured into flashing other ROMS but am certainly willing to give it a try. I know there are many available but can you suggest one or two that i can try.

HHF2
Old
Thanks Meter 92

Really tough to suggest a ROM, there are a lot of different options depending on what you are looking for. Clean ROM is pretty much stock that has been optimized, I would probably start there since you have only done stock. You can then make a nandroid and flash other ROMS and see which one you like the best.

Just remember, read all of the stickies so that you have everything backed up in case something goes wrong. It takes less time to read and learn it before you have a problem and then don't have what you need to fix it nor the know-how.

bshpmark
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Okay, so I download a ROM zip file. I copy it to me microSD card. I have TWRP on my phone. I assume I just go into recovery mode, wipe the cache and Dalvik cache and then just install the zip via TWRP. Is that all I need to do?

bshpmark
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Never mind. I just flashed the Jelly_Beans10 ROM and it works fine.