Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,440 Members 50,730 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] VZW GNII Tethering Data Issues

Tip us?

mptrh336
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] VZW GNII Tethering Data Issues

I live about a mile from the nearest VZW LTE tower. I have a direct line of site to it from my back deck. I have the GNII and an iPhone 5 and my previous Android device was a GS3 (Verizon). Tethering with the GS3 was OK, and the iPhone is great, but with the Note its subpar at best. I have the $30 unlimited tethering package (No other High Speed internet options where I live). I have been experiencing data drops when tethering to the note and the speed is definitely lower and less reliable than when I am using the iPhone. I REALLY prefer using my note, does anyone know of any radio fixes or firmware to help correct the issues with GNII tethering? I can post screenshots if necessary, and I do understand that the GS3 used a Quallcomm chipset while the Note uses the Exynos radio, so I expected differences, just not this much. I also will note that using the Note while not tethering doesn't seem to be an issue at all. I can surf, view youtube in HD on the device etc without much buffering time at all, but when I tether it it will drop out several times in just a few minutes. Any info or opinions would be great. Many thanks guys.

LBJM
Old
(Last edited by LBJM; 8th January 2013 at 11:05 AM.)
Thanks Meter 37
I have the same problem from time to time. Keep in mind this phone just out and I'm sure we will get firmware update down the road. I had bluetooth pairing problems with my HTC phone at first when I got them.

If you restart your hotspot when it happens it might reduce the drop out problem. It works for me when I start getting that problem.

jmorton10
Old
Thanks Meter 367
I swap back and forth between the official VZ hotspot and the TreE Mod wireless tether.

We use tethering for my ipad, my daughters ipod and a very fast PC laptop.

I find the TrevE mod is consistently faster than the VZ hot spot for some reason, but the reason I use both different methods is that I'm never sure which one will stay connected better on any given day.

One day, one will work better and the next day the other one will work better and I never know ahead of time which will be the right choice that day. I have unlimited data and don't pay to tether so I can't call VZ and ask. I don't really tether all that much or I would pay for it (I'm definitely NOT one of those DBs that uses 150 gigs a month with a free wireless tether and then brags about it) but I just live with the little quirks as I'm getting it free anyway.
~John

VZ Note 3, rooted, Beans ROM/Nova Prime/Custom icons
Gear watch with Null 22.1 ROM & Trangulum kernel,themed etc.

Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, rooted W/ Google Playstore & Amazon app store working.
Amazon Prime Video/GMAIL etc. all working perfectly.
Leather Origami case.
Moshi iVisor XT screen protector

MS Surface Pro Tablet W/touch KB
64 gig plus Sandisk (junk) 64 gig MicroSD

Lol, I feel sorry for the pathetic posters who beg everybody to thank them in their signatures.....

Izord
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I use TrevE mod and have a rock solid connection. I can stay connected for days at a time. Considerably faster than my Galaxy Nexus was.

I've downloaded a couple hundred gigs so far. It NEVER drops connection.

Scott's CleanRom FTW.

This phone has an awesome radio.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

Phone: G1, MT3G T-Mo , Droid 2, Droid X, Nook Color, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note 2

RickROM
Old
Thanks Meter 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izord View Post
I use TrevE mod and have a rock solid connection. I can stay connected for days at a time. Considerably faster than my Galaxy Nexus was.

I've downloaded a couple hundred gigs so far. It NEVER drops connection.

Scott's CleanRom FTW.

This phone has an awesome radio.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium
Same here.
Verizon HTC One M8 | CleanROM x Verizon Galaxy Note II | PAC x Nexus 7 II | STOCK x Verizon Galaxy Nexus | AOSPA

shojus
Old
Thanks Meter 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by mptrh336 View Post
I live about a mile from the nearest VZW LTE tower. I have a direct line of site to it from my back deck. I have the GNII and an iPhone 5 and my previous Android device was a GS3 (Verizon). Tethering with the GS3 was OK, and the iPhone is great, but with the Note its subpar at best. I have the $30 unlimited tethering package (No other High Speed internet options where I live). I have been experiencing data drops when tethering to the note and the speed is definitely lower and less reliable than when I am using the iPhone. I REALLY prefer using my note, does anyone know of any radio fixes or firmware to help correct the issues with GNII tethering? I can post screenshots if necessary, and I do understand that the GS3 used a Quallcomm chipset while the Note uses the Exynos radio, so I expected differences, just not this much. I also will note that using the Note while not tethering doesn't seem to be an issue at all. I can surf, view youtube in HD on the device etc without much buffering time at all, but when I tether it it will drop out several times in just a few minutes. Any info or opinions would be great. Many thanks guys.
You know it's really funny that you mention this because I just got a killer deal on an iPhone 5 and my whole intent was to just flip it and make some $$ and that is exactly what I did! Anyways, I live right next to an LTE tower too and I found that the iPhone 5 sucked at data speed tests and tethering... In fact, the iPhone just SUCKS period!! You gotta be connected to wifi just to download an app over 50mb from the app store???? WTF?? I really didn't know just how lucky us Android folks are! My post is not about bashing the iPhone or anything but I just thought I would chime in cause I had the exact opposite effect of what you are posting about...

BTW: Is it just me or does the iPhone 5 suck REALLY bad?? It was actually dropping frames in some heavy games that I was playing on it... I thought that Crapple was supposed to have the superior gpu? Guess NOT! Well at least I got to play with IOS for about 24 hours before it was sold on Ebay to some poor guy that thinks it's a great phone... Okay, maybe I did post in this thread just to flame.
Current Devices:

HTC One (M8) on Verizon **S-Off on ACR rom w/ CodeCraft 2.8 OC kernel**
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon ** Rooted w/Safestrap 3.72 recovery on leaked KitKat build**

** Donate to your favorite Devs! They have made your device worth using! **

imablackhat
Old
Thanks Meter 261
I have the note 2 and clean rom 4.5 installed. Using stock tetherer I experience tons of dropped data. Anyone have a link to exactly what I need for travel mod? I've tried installing and turning on hot spot and it just doesn't turn on.

imablackhat
Old
Thanks Meter 261
Default Re: [Q] VZW GNII Tethering Data Issues

Up

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

jake21
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Which tool do you use to measure packet loss? I use the hotspot feature all the time at the gym (mostly for web browsing) with my tablet and have not noticed any issues (I am on cleanrom 4.5). Note that when it rains the signal usually drops to 3g in this location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imablackhat View Post
I have the note 2 and clean rom 4.5 installed. Using stock tetherer I experience tons of dropped data. Anyone have a link to exactly what I need for travel mod? I've tried installing and turning on hot spot and it just doesn't turn on.

droidstyle
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3320

DONATE TO ME
i use trev e mod and never had one disconnect...speeds are much better than the stock hotspot also.
Devices:
VZW Galaxy Note III Dev. Edition
VZW Galaxy S III
Asus T. Prime
---------
VZW Galaxy S Fascinate GUIDE
VZW Galaxy S III GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note II GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note III GUIDE