FORUMS

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (July 25 – Aug 1)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Voices Of XDA: Orbiting The Earth With Android

Editor’s note: This week’s feature has been written by forum … more

CloudPlayer: DIY HiFi Music Streaming Solution

In our Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services, we mentioned several different services … more

Optimize Battery Life with This Useful App

Battery life is an important aspect of your smartphone, especially if you use it for more … more

Ouya: $99 hackable Android game console

11 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By Drunkenmazter, Junior Member on 4th July 2012, 03:33 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
10th February 2013, 09:37 PM |#41  
Thanks Meter: 786

More
At first I thought I have no need for this device since I have an Xperia Play, but now I might get it to replace our current HTPC, which is an old HP laptop with broken screen. But I like to know if it will get CyanogenMod, which seems likely.

We only watch videos from online and some web browsing. Adobe Flash is needed though, I hope its easy to side load apps. As long as I can use a USB hub to connect mouse, keyboard and getting the logitech usb gamepad to work. I really like hear from anyone who already have the device and their experience with connecting USB peripherals to it.
Last edited by eksasol; 10th February 2013 at 10:18 PM.

10th February 2013, 10:51 PM |#42  
Flag Galveston, Texas
Thanks Meter: 345

Donate to Me
More
Re: Ouya: $99 hackable Android game console
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanDesigns

By the looks of the specs my S3 has an in built ouya, i'll pass as their really isn't many good games for android that i'd sit down and play

Android is the platform, however it will be based around cloud gaming as well. It comes with OnLive cloud game streaming support.
11th February 2013, 02:59 AM |#43  
Flag Batam, Bandung, Bogor, Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 10

More
wow, an Android game console. great !!
11th February 2013, 04:33 PM |#44  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
what do you think?
13th February 2013, 11:12 AM |#45  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I think that is good!
13th February 2013, 09:16 PM |#46  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
someone an idea where to buy in germany?
15th February 2013, 03:56 PM |#47  
Trivandrum
Thanks Meter: 15

More
R U Kidding
I think android devices will bring a head on impact with others in the console market.
15th February 2013, 04:02 PM |#48  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdh91

someone an idea where to buy in germany?

Check out http://www.amazon.de/Ouya-OUYA-Konso...0944103&sr=8-1
15th February 2013, 04:10 PM |#49  
Flag Shah Alam
Thanks Meter: 215

More
Re: Ouya: $99 hackable Android game console
When will it release?? Can't wait to buy it!!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
15th February 2013, 07:02 PM |#50  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I understand for $99 this is a pretty decent deal but what I don't understand is why someone that has a tegra 3 or better phone/tablet needs this?

Why can't you just use the video out on your current device with a bluetooth controller to play games?

Am I missing something? I'm just trying to figure out why I would buy this device if I have a newer smartphone/tablet and bluetooth controller sitting around? What have I overlooked?
16th February 2013, 01:51 AM |#51  
Flag SF Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 199

More
to some degree you're right, it does seem to be a redundant device. And more than a few of us have done exactly that. On the same token, not that many games on Android and programmed to use a controller such as Dead Space, Need for Speed, Angry Birds, and so forth. Yet, some are such as Dead Trigger, GTAIII (granted this is a port),and Shadowgun.

Why someone would want this, is an excellent question that is more on subjectivity, than objectivity. Personally, I got it to support an alternative to mainstream consoles--Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo. I don't piicture anything like this becoming a big threat to them, but as Michael Patcher said, could be a nice second console. One that is just always hooked up to the TV, rather than having to leave the wire hooked up the TV. And as a practical matter, not all mobile devices have microHDMI and HML outputs. HML does not always give enough juice to charge a phone, but slows the discharge rate.

Some controllers need root access to the phone such as the Playstation Sixaxias, well the Sixaxias Controller application does. I would venture to guess that most mobile phone owners are NOT rooted. Some controllers don't such as the Wiimote and maybe some generic blue tooth controllers, but how well they work may be questionable. I know the OnLive universal controller works, but only well with OnLive; I've tried Dead Trigger and Shadowgun and wasn't able to program the buttons.

In addition, I think some people are hoping if there are enough numbers, it will attract more developers. This could mean more better quality games, and maybe some new interesting ideas that would otherwise be too expensive or risky on other platforms. That's part of the point of Ouya is for low entry cost into game development into the living room. I know that's part of my hope.

I figured it's only a $100. I've blow that without thinking with going out to eat or other similar activities, so it's not like I'll miss the money. It wouldn't be the first time I've gotten tech where the company went under. If were able to use Google Play or side load games, the console will be usable even if the company goes under.
The Following User Says Thank You to lovekeiiy For This Useful Post: [ View ]

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread