T-Mobile Blocking Wi-Fi Tether

Search This thread

Smoothmo

Nov 19, 2012
Changing the user-agent works for connecting my pc but the only way I found to connect my ps3/xbox was by using the hotspot shield app.

Krayvon

Dec 31, 2010
Redmond
!

Changing the user-agent works for connecting my pc but the only way I found to connect my ps3/xbox was by using the hotspot shield app.

how did you get a connection ? looks like when shield is on and i try to tether, i cant get packages to send properly.

i wish i could figure out how to use my hotspot for my pc and ps3 without the hassle.

one other thing i noticed is if your tether in ps3 and your using netflix, the thumbnails dont load

mrgodai

Feb 12, 2010
is there a user agent profile that still bypass the tether but still allow desktop mode?

tehSecret

Jul 28, 2012
Using the GoogleBot 2.1 profile seems to be close as you can get

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Search for "user agent" in the search box on the add~ons page

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

AgentFour20

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area
how did you get a connection ? looks like when shield is on and i try to tether, i cant get packages to send properly.

i wish i could figure out how to use my hotspot for my pc and ps3 without the hassle.

one other thing i noticed is if your tether in ps3 and your using netflix, the thumbnails dont load

Check the instructions on my thread . It will show you how to get HSS working then you can tether without a user agent switcher .
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35820296

Sent from my SGH-T959 using xda premium

ndkone

Dec 21, 2012
Thanks, worked for me worn just the default settings

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I have that working for Tmobile too, but I need the following settings:

**got working with 3.3 pre 2 Exp

-send nets max client cmd
-no encryption
-no wifi-devier reload
-wifi-driver reload2
-MSS clamping
- Routing fix on

I have tested this on rooted S3 with stock 4.1.1 on T999.

Remember to change your browser to IOS or something else so you don't get the block from the carrier.

Last edited:

tidewblch

Dec 27, 2012
Hollywood
Wi-Fi Tethering

I have been able to tether for years on my devices without going through T-Mobile once rooted and using Cyanogenmod. However, I have installed the nightlies for 10.1 Jellybean and since they are experimental it is not working now. Has anyone found a workaround for this at this point.

AgentFour20

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area

jonnug

Nov 25, 2012
Had no trouble with mine.

Rooted HTC Desire HD on Jellytime 4.2.

Maybe as I use the Onavo data compression app VPN that hides it from them?

dallinsg

Feb 11, 2013
TrevE mod

So it looks like T-Mobile is blocking wi-fi tether now. It was working perfect ever since I bought my S3, but today I turn on wifi tether and all is working then I get two text messages from T-mobile (see attached image). AS soon as I received the second message my tether stopped working. I am rooted running XquizIt v70 Rom, KT747 9-5 Kernel WiFi tether 3.2 beta 2. My computer I was tethering to is a MacBook Pro running Lion using google chrome browser.

This is just a heads up to you guys and if anyone knows a workaround let me know.

T-Mobile and Google definitely tried hard with jellybean to eliminate any type of WiFi tethering. They even successfully made the WiFi tether for root users and open garden useless. And the one none root that worked for us unlimited 4g data planners, the 15$ SVTP WiFi/USB tethering app freezes at opening. I thought that was it. But low and behold all thanks to developer TrevE whoever you are cause he cracked the problem. Several rooted custon ROMs like xquisitare coming with his modified app built in to the update/ROM. But for everyone else just Google search WiFi tether for root TrevE mod. You will have to download the .apk file and check "allow non market apps" in security settings but that's it. The newest is modv22 and its great. Easy access tons of options and it flies. Better luck next time Google. And of course the play store does not have the modifies working version. I have paid for every app on there root or no root and after the updated sniffers this is the only option.
PS praise be to triangle away!! I rooted my phone (GS3 t999) two days before my allshare cast hub arrived fed ex from Korea and thought thanks to rooting I bought an 80$ paperweight. But the play store all share update and triangle away resetting my flash counter and now everything is working! Even Samsung media Hub downloads and all :)
Happy tethering!

bkaltec

Jul 7, 2010
Overland Park
www.gearedtek.com
Google does their best to make sure the population has the most open and unrestricted internet possible. The more searches and web sites with Google adds you see the richer they get. I certainly doubt they would help restrict their source of revenue.

T-Mobile intercepts all of your data because you're connected to their equipment. When you use a certain amount of data within a given amount of time you trigger their proxy servers to inspect the http header data being sent via a program or app. The header contains the user agent that identifies the software sending the http request.
Im sure people complaining the move to jb from ics caused the block, is simply a matter of timing.

If you think otherwise, then once you get blocked, un tether, and get dolphin browser. Change your user agent to the same as msie9/10 and see that you're blocked under that specific circumstance. Its not that youre tethering, its that big bro is watching everything you do.

If someone can provide a link to googles aosp source showing they communicate with the carrier to verify that you purchased tethering, then ill retract my statement.

AgentFour20

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area
Tmobiles current means of blocking is so retarded and easily bypassed . As stated in the post above they intercept and inspect the useragent . Once its been determined to be something other that a mobile user agent you are blocked . So encrypt your data ! Its as easy as that . There are many vpn apps that encrypt your data for free . Hotspot shield is what I use . Get it , use it , tether .

Last edited:
Reactions: N3r0-666

TheArtiszan

Jun 12, 2009
hotspot shield looks like is blocked now to though. I can't even pull up the sight on my t-mo connection anymore.
I can still browser with user agent changed but if I try and stream netflix they somehow catch that.

If there a different free VPN service I can try?

N3r0-666

Jul 30, 2011
Hotspots shield works it's tits just saying

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

TheArtiszan

Jun 12, 2009
Are you on T-Mobile USA or a different provider?
If I even try to go to their site on my phone its blocked.

TheArtiszan

Jun 12, 2009
That is weird because I can access the hotspotshield.com on my computer on home internet ok is just won't open on t-mobile connection.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Holy crap! Is there anyway to do this without getting a degree just to understand all the jargon that's used? I swear there must be a video out there that shows you step by step on how to tether safely without hopefully getting caught. I mean there's millions of videos on the Harlem shake out within just the last week. There's gotta be a good one we can use to get our devices to tether without having to pay for the crap tethering plan. So ridiculous how they let you do it, realize they're not making extra money on it then just lock it up and force you to pay afterward. It's like being a damn Indian giver.

No need for a degree to go to Google play and install a few apps . Here's the instructions from my tether tread .

------------------------------------

Found a solution to tmobiles user agent sniffer .

**Must be rooted for this to work * *

Steps:

1. Get TrevE Mod tether app
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=34037922
    (you will not get a internet connection using any other tether app while using the VPN app)

2. Get Hotspot Shield VPN
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/...id.vpn&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd
    (was mentioned in earlier post but couldn't get it to work)

3. Start Hotspot Shield VPN and connect

4. Start TrevE Mod Tether app

Problems?

Hotspot Shield does not connect or you get error 1028?

Get Tun.Ko from market and install it
    Repeat step 3 and 4
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/...1bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5hZWQudHVuLmluc3RhbGxlciJd

Connected device does not receive internet?

In TrevE Mod tether app go to settings and select Device profile and select Generic ICS/JB wanl0 . Now select setup and select Netd-Ndc master . Check box that says send Nets Max client . Check box WiFi-Reloads driver 2 . Check Routing fix .You may need to change ssid too .

I am using Chrome with no user agent switcher and no longer get errors when trying to play youtube videos

Please hit the Thanks Button

How do you set up encrypted VPN ?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+set+up+an+encrypted+vpn

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
    Instead of frivolous lawsuits the FTC needs to disfavor these charges it's the same network same data its our desecration how we use it we pay for it. Just a scam I say we boycott there bull

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Do you mean FCC?

I'm really on the fence about this. You're paying for mobile data on a cellular network so tethering and using it at home as your main connection doesn't seem right. I'm talking about the people who use 50-100GB, how much content can you consume JUST using your phone?. It also can hurt the cable companies by replacing them. The two services ARE different, or at least supposed to be.

I think that if people want unlimited AND tethering the should just pay the difference. I think hotspot is $10 a month? Compared to the other carriers you're still getting an amazing deal on tmo. And I want the FCC to stay out of it because if they get involved tmos prices will undoubtably be raised.

To me it's silly to say the FCC should get involved or that tmo is in the wrong when you aren't following the TOS you agreed to. Sure, I want more for less money too but that's not always how it works.

Just a quick note, why aren't people screaming about both cell lines being charged minutes when on a landline only one person pays for the call??
    Do you mean FCC?

I'm really on the fence about this. You're paying for mobile data on a cellular network so tethering and using it at home as your main connection doesn't seem right. I'm talking about the people who use 50-100GB, how much content can you consume JUST using your phone?. It also can hurt the cable companies by replacing them. The two services ARE different, or at least supposed to be.

I think that if people want unlimited AND tethering the should just pay the difference. I think hotspot is $10 a month? Compared to the other carriers you're still getting an amazing deal on tmo. And I want the FCC to stay out of it because if they get involved tmos prices will undoubtably be raised.

To me it's silly to say the FCC should get involved or that tmo is in the wrong when you aren't following the TOS you agreed to. Sure, I want more for less money too but that's not always how it works.

Just a quick note, why aren't people screaming about both cell lines being charged minutes when on a landline only one person pays for the call??

I have debate this so many times is not even funny this are smart phones,this phones are basically computers in miniature,in fact i use 10GB this month without tethering and i was taking it slow,i got back with T-mobile,and left sprint.

It doesn't matter if you get your connection by cable modem or phone you are paying for it,data is not free and is advertise as truly Unlimited without caps,even more when netflix and pandora are even use on the tv ad Netflix is not joke when it comes to streaming,either been on PC or cell phone it will consume heavy data period.

I try to tether and T-mobile send me a message telling me that if i want to tether is $15 extra,as fast as you read that message you see why T-mobile block tether the reason is money more money they don't care about data abuse they care that they don't get as much as they think they should.

I wish T-mobile was straight forward with their clients,and actually ad a plan that include everything all in one no hidden fee or caps,and charge what ever they believe is right,i would gladly pay $99 for unlimited data without caps and tether,but just say it so that people know what they get into.

In the end there is no way to abuse something that is sold to you as unlimited...

Sorry for bringing this thread to life again but i was trying to find something to tether,which is a feature of my phone not of T-mobile network.
    1,000GB

Finally hit 1,000GB (1TB) for this month!

2bwc5e.png

And I'm sure this is where some of you go "your the reason cellphone companies don't do this, your going to ruin it for all of us, you suck, your gay, etc"