Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,428 Members 47,121 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I'm sad that I can't truly multitask on my infinity

Tip us?
 
goodintentions
Old
#51  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 732
Posts: 2,545
Join Date: Aug 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanmw View Post
The kick here is that we would all be able to use cornerstone if google had not bullied CM out of supporting it. Really wish they would have stayed the course with their support. Google then allows samsung and lg to to almost exactly what cornerstone did with several of their apps. Eventually sammy and lg will have even more multi-window support built in and we will still be out in the cold unless someone picks up the old cornerstone project and makes updates to get it working with JB 4.2.2.

If I only had the time..... anyone hear any plans to pick it back up?
With google's adamant objection to the split screen functionality of cornerstone, I am convinced that they did something in their jellybean upgrade to make cornerstone impossible. This is why the onskreen people have given up development of this project.
Feeling overwhelmed by all these instructions meant for smarties? Well, you're in luck because I've made a Viewsonic G-Tablet For Dummies where all the instructions are dumbed down for dummies.
 
_that
Old
#52  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2311
Posts: 3,295
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
With google's adamant objection to the split screen functionality of cornerstone, I am convinced that they did something in their jellybean upgrade to make cornerstone impossible. This is why the onskreen people have given up development of this project.
But Samsung somehow did implement their splitscreen functionality on top of Jellybean. So it is definitely possible, with perhaps major modifications to the framework.
 
hajalie24
Old
#53  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 225
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
Because I don't want an ubuntu laptop. Android works fine for me. The split screen functionality would make it even better. Having split screen like something like cornerstone is simple enough to work with.

I don't understand this attitude that people have. Didn't android people pride ourselves with choice? Why the either a laptop or a one screen all the time attitude?
You say android is fine for you yet you've been complaining for this whole thread about it. You have the option to install ubuntu side by side, yet refuse to do so. We all know android isn't the best option, even with cornerstone. Ubuntu takes 10 minutes to install but you'd rather complain about android. It makes no sense, but if you'd rather suffer through your work then to try to teach some sort of lesson to google, go ahead. Meanwhile whenever I need to do some work I just have to restart my tablet and I have a full desktop with multiple windows waiting for me.
 
goodintentions
Old
(Last edited by goodintentions; 23rd January 2013 at 03:08 AM.)
#54  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 732
Posts: 2,545
Join Date: Aug 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajalie24 View Post
You say android is fine for you yet you've been complaining for this whole thread about it.
Again, what's with the strawman? At no point have I complained about android. What I've complained about is google's hindering of efforts to make android more productive than what it is now.

Quote:
You have the option to install ubuntu side by side, yet refuse to do so. We all know android isn't the best option, even with cornerstone. Ubuntu takes 10 minutes to install but you'd rather complain about android. It makes no sense, but if you'd rather suffer through your work then to try to teach some sort of lesson to google, go ahead. Meanwhile whenever I need to do some work I just have to restart my tablet and I have a full desktop with multiple windows waiting for me.
Don't you think I've already tried ubuntu? The lag is kinda unbearable. And I don't want to have to boot back and forth.

There are aspects of android I love. But it sure as hell would make the experience for some of us light years better if we have split screen functionality.
Feeling overwhelmed by all these instructions meant for smarties? Well, you're in luck because I've made a Viewsonic G-Tablet For Dummies where all the instructions are dumbed down for dummies.
 
Cheapxj
Old
#55  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 28
Posts: 156
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Location: Location:
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
Don't you think I've already tried ubuntu? The lag is kinda unbearable. And I don't want to have to boot back and forth.
You gotta run ubuntu native. if it's lagging you must be VNC'd into a nested loopback device running on top of android.

seriously you NEED to TRY native ubuntu. I only went native yesterday (I ran it on top of android before this) with the latest available version and there's not much that my x86 laptop can do that this thing can't now.

um I don't know what exactly you were trying to do on it, but I have it running off the internal eMMC on my TF700 and it runs applications like LibreOffice Calc, & Write, my terminal server, VPN and VNC better than my atom powered netbook running ubuntu 11.10 on a 1024x600 screen.

The only thing I "need" android on there for right now is navigation and spotify when I'm docked in the Dashboard of my Jeep.

It only takes me 113 seconds to switch either way, and I don't care who you are, if you don't have 110 seconds to switch OSes, you need to re-evaluate your ENTIRE life because you are doing something wrong and you will drive yourself into an early grave!

Seriously, I think more than one person has asked this question, but I'll ask it again.

What exactly are you trying to do with it? specific applications, documents or other file types that you're working with? Be a little more freakin specific and MAYBE you might learn something new.

Considering you can build stuff into your vehicle and connect to it, you don't need to be THAT portable. I need to be able to run my business out of a carry-on bag. I threw away the portable printer in lieu of just making FedEx Kinkos my bitch.

I still for the most part use mine as a VNC/RDP terminal. It works great that way on the linux or android side, it's basically begging the question do I want a desktop interface with desktop applications or do I want a mobile interface with mobile applications.
Past devices:
HTC 8125, 8525, T-Mobile Wing, G1, MT3G, G2, Galaxy Tab, HD2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Fascinate, LG Revolution, XT926
N900V.07 & TF700 (Destroyed by USAirways)

Current devices:
SCH-i605 - Downgraded MJ9, Safestrap Beta + N3bula 3.9
MB870 - CM7 Beta, ol' faithful. only ever let me down once (6/21/14)
Acer C710 - Coreboot + Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Surface Pro - Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and some hardware hacks



USAirways must DIE. Boycott them.
 
the_game_master
Old
#56  
the_game_master's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 54
Posts: 663
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_0068 View Post
look into the asus transformer TF810C. It's an infinity with Windows 8, same battery life but with the new atom processor. Should be as powerful as the infinity and runs full fledged windows with proper multitasking.
Don't you mean the Asus VivoTab ?

or did ASUS change the name again.
 
lucius.zen
Old
(Last edited by lucius.zen; 24th January 2013 at 04:35 PM.)
#57  
lucius.zen's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 411
Posts: 453
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Halifax
Default Access everything with 1 gesture

If you want workflow to be comparable, in many cases better, than a traditional windowed OS then get GMD Gesture Control. Alghough you cant see two things at once, you can set up gstures to make multitasking easier. I was envious of win8 bezel swipe gestures, now i laugh at w8.

At this point i can two finger swipe from various positions on the bezel to....
- Go fwd/back within an app
- Move fwd/back between open apps
- toggle various settings such as autorotate, wifi, power menu, mute, etc.
- Get a launchpad to slide out from the edge of the screen like a dock so i can access any app from anywhere i want
- kill the app im in
- hide the bottom bar to increase screen real estate (great for video/pdfs/creating docs/browsing)
- bc i like the bottom bar minimized i have gestures for home button and recent apps dialogue and all the settings i need from status bar

With all of these gestures i can do things faster on my tf700 than my laptop, it massively improves workflow and reduces the number of gestures/actions i need to initiate to do stuff. I can now do everything in 1 simple gesture, which is faster than mouse clicks and windowed OSes.

Id also like to mention i have no affiliation whatsoever to the dev of GMD Gesture Control

Best of luck,

Lucius
 
ParrotSquawk
Old
#58  
ParrotSquawk's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 41
Posts: 361
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: WPB FL
FWIW, someone created a multi-window enviornment for an almost abandoned phone, the international Galaxy Note N7000. if you have the skills, compare that to the standard N7000 ROM and see where they did it. BTW, that rom does not work on the US phone. It clobbers EVERTHING, hard-bricking the phone.

See [Q] Multi Window in N7000 running XXLS7

Just some info for a chef to noodle on.

I may not know what I am doing, but at least I'm at the front of the parade!

Current phone: AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Asus Transformer TF700

Past devices:
Atrix 4G, X10a Black, Fuze, Tytn II, Tytn, and various older "analog only"phones
Polaroid T7 PTAB7200 Tablet
 
jordanmw
Old
(Last edited by jordanmw; 13th February 2013 at 09:20 PM.)
#59  
jordanmw's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 67
Posts: 254
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fort Collins, CO

 
DONATE TO ME
It's funny, there are people who want this same functionality on their nexus 7, seems insane to me, with no dock and limited screen real estate. Makes me laugh to think of the responses they would get in this forum for the same request.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0#post36839680

Anyways, I hate all the responses like "go buy XXX if you want YYY" or "you keep saying how android sucks so bad for XXX but you are not using it with the right YYY"

These are all just reasons to bicker, OP has a valid point on much of what he says. I wish people would stop bickering and offer some useful responses.

Here is something that you may not know....In feb of 2012 CM still had interest in getting Cornerstone running on CM9:

https://plus.google.com/100275307499...ts/ViCME1bb8F6

And here is the only evidence that I can find to indicate that ANYONE is still working on it this Feb.:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1#post37955761
Asus TF Infinity 32Gb C7 -----(returned! -TF Prime 32Gb Grey C0- returned!)-------
Nexus 7 8Gb- unlocked, rooted, running tablet ui
Moto Droid X on Verizon

Game rigs:
i7 2600k @4.7, Sabertooth, 16Gb 1600Mhz Gskill Vertex3
EVGA GTX 570 HD
i7 870, Shuttle, 16Gb 1333 Gskill, Chronos
BFG GTX 260 OC
 
goodintentions
Old
#60  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 732
Posts: 2,545
Join Date: Aug 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanmw View Post
It's funny, there are people who want this same functionality on their nexus 7, seems insane to me, with no dock and limited screen real estate. Makes me laugh to think of the responses they would get in this forum for the same request.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0#post36839680

Anyways, I hate all the responses like "go buy XXX if you want YYY" or "you keep saying how android sucks so bad for XXX but you are not using it with the right YYY"

These are all just reasons to bicker, OP has a valid point on much of what he says. I wish people would stop bickering and offer some useful responses.

Here is something that you may not know....In feb of 2012 CM still had interest in getting Cornerstone running on CM9:

https://plus.google.com/100275307499...ts/ViCME1bb8F6

And here is the only evidence that I can find to indicate that ANYONE is still working on it this Feb.:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1#post37955761
I'm switching to the vivotab rt. Will sell my infinity soon.
Feeling overwhelmed by all these instructions meant for smarties? Well, you're in luck because I've made a Viewsonic G-Tablet For Dummies where all the instructions are dumbed down for dummies.

The Following User Says Thank You to goodintentions For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes