OP goodintentions

22nd January 2013, 10:39 PM   |  #51  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 733

2,545 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanmw

The kick here is that we would all be able to use cornerstone if google had not bullied CM out of supporting it. Really wish they would have stayed the course with their support. Google then allows samsung and lg to to almost exactly what cornerstone did with several of their apps. Eventually sammy and lg will have even more multi-window support built in and we will still be out in the cold unless someone picks up the old cornerstone project and makes updates to get it working with JB 4.2.2.

If I only had the time..... anyone hear any plans to pick it back up?

With google's adamant objection to the split screen functionality of cornerstone, I am convinced that they did something in their jellybean upgrade to make cornerstone impossible. This is why the onskreen people have given up development of this project.
22nd January 2013, 11:49 PM   |  #52  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,471

3,488 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodintentions

With google's adamant objection to the split screen functionality of cornerstone, I am convinced that they did something in their jellybean upgrade to make cornerstone impossible. This is why the onskreen people have given up development of this project.

But Samsung somehow did implement their splitscreen functionality on top of Jellybean. So it is definitely possible, with perhaps major modifications to the framework.
23rd January 2013, 02:00 AM   |  #53  
Thanks Meter: 14

228 posts
Quote:

Because I don't want an ubuntu laptop. Android works fine for me. The split screen functionality would make it even better. Having split screen like something like cornerstone is simple enough to work with.

I don't understand this attitude that people have. Didn't android people pride ourselves with choice? Why the either a laptop or a one screen all the time attitude?

You say android is fine for you yet you've been complaining for this whole thread about it. You have the option to install ubuntu side by side, yet refuse to do so. We all know android isn't the best option, even with cornerstone. Ubuntu takes 10 minutes to install but you'd rather complain about android. It makes no sense, but if you'd rather suffer through your work then to try to teach some sort of lesson to google, go ahead. Meanwhile whenever I need to do some work I just have to restart my tablet and I have a full desktop with multiple windows waiting for me.
23rd January 2013, 02:48 AM   |  #54  
OP Senior Member

2,545 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajalie24

You say android is fine for you yet you've been complaining for this whole thread about it.

Again, what's with the strawman? At no point have I complained about android. What I've complained about is google's hindering of efforts to make android more productive than what it is now.

Quote:

You have the option to install ubuntu side by side, yet refuse to do so. We all know android isn't the best option, even with cornerstone. Ubuntu takes 10 minutes to install but you'd rather complain about android. It makes no sense, but if you'd rather suffer through your work then to try to teach some sort of lesson to google, go ahead. Meanwhile whenever I need to do some work I just have to restart my tablet and I have a full desktop with multiple windows waiting for me.

Don't you think I've already tried ubuntu? The lag is kinda unbearable. And I don't want to have to boot back and forth.

There are aspects of android I love. But it sure as hell would make the experience for some of us light years better if we have split screen functionality.
Last edited by goodintentions; 23rd January 2013 at 03:08 AM.
23rd January 2013, 03:45 PM   |  #55  
Flag Location: Location:
Thanks Meter: 28

156 posts
More
Quote:

Don't you think I've already tried ubuntu? The lag is kinda unbearable. And I don't want to have to boot back and forth.

You gotta run ubuntu native. if it's lagging you must be VNC'd into a nested loopback device running on top of android.

seriously you NEED to TRY native ubuntu. I only went native yesterday (I ran it on top of android before this) with the latest available version and there's not much that my x86 laptop can do that this thing can't now.

um I don't know what exactly you were trying to do on it, but I have it running off the internal eMMC on my TF700 and it runs applications like LibreOffice Calc, & Write, my terminal server, VPN and VNC better than my atom powered netbook running ubuntu 11.10 on a 1024x600 screen.

The only thing I "need" android on there for right now is navigation and spotify when I'm docked in the Dashboard of my Jeep.

It only takes me 113 seconds to switch either way, and I don't care who you are, if you don't have 110 seconds to switch OSes, you need to re-evaluate your ENTIRE life because you are doing something wrong and you will drive yourself into an early grave!

Seriously, I think more than one person has asked this question, but I'll ask it again.

What exactly are you trying to do with it? specific applications, documents or other file types that you're working with? Be a little more freakin specific and MAYBE you might learn something new.

Considering you can build stuff into your vehicle and connect to it, you don't need to be THAT portable. I need to be able to run my business out of a carry-on bag. I threw away the portable printer in lieu of just making FedEx Kinkos my bitch.

I still for the most part use mine as a VNC/RDP terminal. It works great that way on the linux or android side, it's basically begging the question do I want a desktop interface with desktop applications or do I want a mobile interface with mobile applications.
24th January 2013, 12:53 AM   |  #56  
Flag Indianapolis
Thanks Meter: 54

663 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_0068

look into the asus transformer TF810C. It's an infinity with Windows 8, same battery life but with the new atom processor. Should be as powerful as the infinity and runs full fledged windows with proper multitasking.

Don't you mean the Asus VivoTab ?

or did ASUS change the name again.
24th January 2013, 04:32 PM   |  #57  
Flag Halifax
Thanks Meter: 423

457 posts
More
Access everything with 1 gesture
If you want workflow to be comparable, in many cases better, than a traditional windowed OS then get GMD Gesture Control. Alghough you cant see two things at once, you can set up gstures to make multitasking easier. I was envious of win8 bezel swipe gestures, now i laugh at w8.

At this point i can two finger swipe from various positions on the bezel to....
- Go fwd/back within an app
- Move fwd/back between open apps
- toggle various settings such as autorotate, wifi, power menu, mute, etc.
- Get a launchpad to slide out from the edge of the screen like a dock so i can access any app from anywhere i want
- kill the app im in
- hide the bottom bar to increase screen real estate (great for video/pdfs/creating docs/browsing)
- bc i like the bottom bar minimized i have gestures for home button and recent apps dialogue and all the settings i need from status bar

With all of these gestures i can do things faster on my tf700 than my laptop, it massively improves workflow and reduces the number of gestures/actions i need to initiate to do stuff. I can now do everything in 1 simple gesture, which is faster than mouse clicks and windowed OSes.

Id also like to mention i have no affiliation whatsoever to the dev of GMD Gesture Control

Best of luck,

Lucius
Last edited by lucius.zen; 24th January 2013 at 04:35 PM.
26th January 2013, 08:40 PM   |  #58  
Flag WPB FL
Thanks Meter: 41

362 posts
More
FWIW, someone created a multi-window enviornment for an almost abandoned phone, the international Galaxy Note N7000. if you have the skills, compare that to the standard N7000 ROM and see where they did it. BTW, that rom does not work on the US phone. It clobbers EVERTHING, hard-bricking the phone.

See [Q] Multi Window in N7000 running XXLS7

Just some info for a chef to noodle on.
13th February 2013, 09:09 PM   |  #59  
Flag Fort Collins, CO
Thanks Meter: 67

254 posts
Donate to Me
It's funny, there are people who want this same functionality on their nexus 7, seems insane to me, with no dock and limited screen real estate. Makes me laugh to think of the responses they would get in this forum for the same request.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0#post36839680

Anyways, I hate all the responses like "go buy XXX if you want YYY" or "you keep saying how android sucks so bad for XXX but you are not using it with the right YYY"

These are all just reasons to bicker, OP has a valid point on much of what he says. I wish people would stop bickering and offer some useful responses.

Here is something that you may not know....In feb of 2012 CM still had interest in getting Cornerstone running on CM9:

https://plus.google.com/100275307499...ts/ViCME1bb8F6

And here is the only evidence that I can find to indicate that ANYONE is still working on it this Feb.:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1#post37955761
Last edited by jordanmw; 13th February 2013 at 09:20 PM.
13th February 2013, 11:21 PM   |  #60  
OP Senior Member

2,545 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanmw

It's funny, there are people who want this same functionality on their nexus 7, seems insane to me, with no dock and limited screen real estate. Makes me laugh to think of the responses they would get in this forum for the same request.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0#post36839680

Anyways, I hate all the responses like "go buy XXX if you want YYY" or "you keep saying how android sucks so bad for XXX but you are not using it with the right YYY"

These are all just reasons to bicker, OP has a valid point on much of what he says. I wish people would stop bickering and offer some useful responses.

Here is something that you may not know....In feb of 2012 CM still had interest in getting Cornerstone running on CM9:

https://plus.google.com/100275307499...ts/ViCME1bb8F6

And here is the only evidence that I can find to indicate that ANYONE is still working on it this Feb.:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1#post37955761

I'm switching to the vivotab rt. Will sell my infinity soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to goodintentions For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread