OP mr-cook

13th February 2013, 04:58 PM   |  #1221  
OP Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,585

894 posts
Re: Straight Talk SGS2- SGH-S959G
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishaney23

another edit. Sorry for this. like I said earlier. total noob here. But I must say, for only doing this for a few hours, I am getting it. Got my phone rooted and now reading and reading and reading again to see if I want to put CYANOGEN 10.1 on here or not. The nightly release worries me a bit. How often do you have to install new builds? I also see the CYAN 9.1 stable release is there to download. Thats ICS right? Is that better at the moment than the 10.1 JB nightly release? Or am I better off just leaving 2.3.6 GingerBread stock on here. That doesnt sound like fun but not bricking a 5 day old $300 phone would be nice!

Anyway to make this work with Kies?

You don't have to update the nightlies, but CM10.1 still has bugs. There is a stable build for CM10, but you need to flash CM10.1 first. By flashing CM10.1 you are making your phone compatible with all i777 ROMs. So you can then go to the i777 development section and find a ROM that may be more suited to what you want.

Sent from my SGH-S959G
13th February 2013, 04:59 PM   |  #1222  
Flag shreveport
Thanks Meter: 2,259

2,235 posts
More
Quote:

another edit. Sorry for this. like I said earlier. total noob here. But I must say, for only doing this for a few hours, I am getting it. Got my phone rooted and now reading and reading and reading again to see if I want to put CYANOGEN 10.1 on here or not. The nightly release worries me a bit. How often do you have to install new builds? I also see the CYAN 9.1 stable release is there to download. Thats ICS right? Is that better at the moment than the 10.1 JB nightly release? Or am I better off just leaving 2.3.6 GingerBread stock on here. That doesnt sound like fun but not bricking a 5 day old $300 phone would be nice!

Anyway to make this work with Kies?

I was not able to make mine work with kies.
As for roms i am using shostock3 ver2.5.1 and it is basicly the jellybean 4.1.2 tricked out somewhat. I was not crazy about cm10.1. It was stable but the visual appearance was not very good so i tried this one. I think mr cook uses shostock3 too.

Take your time with this and you will see using cwm recovery is actually very easy once you understand how its set up. Simple as 1,2,3
Sent from my SGH-S959G

EDIT: Dont forget to make a back up in cwm before you start changing ur rom
Last edited by razen_kain; 13th February 2013 at 05:13 PM.
13th February 2013, 05:18 PM   |  #1223  
Thanks Meter: 68

278 posts
I am also somewhat of a noob to all of this, but this community is full of people that are willing to help us out. The first rom I tried out was CM10.1. There is nothing wrong with it, but after moving to SHOstock3 with the siyah kernel I have been very happy with my phone. I've been putting off upgrading to the newest version of SHOstock3 simply because I'm not looking forward to a full factory reset. My recommendation to anyone new to this is read, read, and read some more, then ask someone that has been around a while to make sure you understand the proper methods.

Sent from my SGH-S959G
SHOstock3 v2.1 w/ Siyah kernel
13th February 2013, 05:35 PM   |  #1224  
Thanks Meter: 9

59 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-cook

So it's booting the ROM. It may be a bad download. It could be something in that release, I haven't updated yet I'm still on 2.1 . There weren't any changes to recovery so that CWM is compatible, hopefully you're using the PhilZ CWM. I would try the 2.5.1 released earlier if you still get bootloop, try flashing the Siyah kernel and see if that changes it.

I didn't have PhilZ CWM, so I got that first and then flashed Siyah kernel and Siyah recovery. I'm on SHOstock3 2.1 now with no problems at all (so far)! Thanks for your help mr-cook, razen_kain and angelj73!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cap'n Jazz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th February 2013, 05:47 PM   |  #1225  

894 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Jazz

I didn't have PhilZ CWM, so I got that first and then flashed Siyah kernel and Siyah recovery. I'm on SHOstock3 2.1 now with no problems at all (so far)! Thanks for your help mr-cook, razen_kain and angelj73!

Glad to see you got it figured out.

Sent from my SGH-S959G
The Following User Says Thank You to mr-cook For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th February 2013, 11:44 PM   |  #1226  
Thanks Meter: 23

96 posts
More
Quote:

You don't have to update the nightlies, but CM10.1 still has bugs. There is a stable build for CM10, but you need to flash CM10.1 first. By flashing CM10.1 you are making your phone compatible with all i777 ROMs. So you can then go to the i777 development section and find a ROM that may be more suited to what you want.

Sent from my SGH-S959G

So basically I MUST install CM10.1 because it turns my SGH-S959G in to a SGH-i777 in which I can install ShoStock3 or any other custom ROM I want on top of CM10.1 the same way I installed the original ROOT.zip file?

I would much rather have official ICS or JB but I believe JB isnt available yet for the i777.... just the I9100, correct? I am thinking I am going CM10.1 or ShoStock3 though. Watched YouTube videos and I like them both. Any thoughts or is there a post that compares the 2?
Last edited by chrishaney23; 14th February 2013 at 12:39 AM.
14th February 2013, 12:32 AM   |  #1227  

894 posts
Quote:

So basically I MUST install CM10.1 because it turns my SGH-S959G in to a SGH-i777 in which I can install ShoStock3 or any other custom ROM I want? And I install CM10.1 and the gapps.zip the same way I installed the original ROOT.zip correct? Except I gotta factory reset and wipe cache first? Which cache gets wiped? Is it this fom the OP "-wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, select -advanced, -wipe dalvik cache?"

I would much rather have official ICS or JB but I believe the JB isnt available yet for the i777.... just the I9100, correct? I am thinking I am going CM10.1 or ShoStock3 though. Watched YouTube videos and I like them both. Any thoughts or is there a post that compares the 2?

You wipe cache and dalvik cache.
Install just like the root zip.
There's no official JellyBean and possibly never will be for i777, plus official sucks.
Official ICS has the super brick bug so not recommended.
You should be able to install SHOstock3 from stock as is it doesn't have the assert checks like some ROMs do.
If you're going to use SHOstock3 I recommend flashing the PhilZ CWM from the OP here first, as it has extra features available for that ROM.

Sent from my SGH-S959G
14th February 2013, 01:04 AM   |  #1228  
Thanks Meter: 23

96 posts
More
Quote:

You wipe cache and dalvik cache.
Install just like the root zip.
There's no official JellyBean and possibly never will be for i777, plus official sucks.
Official ICS has the super brick bug so not recommended.
You should be able to install SHOstock3 from stock as is it doesn't have the assert checks like some ROMs do.
If you're going to use SHOstock3 I recommend flashing the PhilZ CWM from the OP here first, as it has extra features available for that ROM.

Sent from my SGH-S959G

So I do Phil CWM and the SHOstock3 zips the same way as original zip? One doesnt overwrite the other?
Last edited by chrishaney23; 14th February 2013 at 01:09 AM.
14th February 2013, 01:41 AM   |  #1229  

894 posts
Quote:

So I do Phil CWM and the SHOstock3 zips the same way as original zip? One doesnt overwrite the other?

Yep. PhilZ first then SHOstock3. The PhilZ just add a few features in CWM. Doesn't change anything with your ROM.

Sent from my SGH-S959G
14th February 2013, 05:10 PM   |  #1230  
Thanks Meter: 97

400 posts
Last night I was in class browsing fb. Everything was honky dory. Once class let out I pulled my phone out from my pocket and my data connection was gone. Has been ever since. Im running CM9.1 which has suddenly become buggy with the notification bar occassionally not displaying anything, no widgets or notifications. Ive been runnning CM9.1 for a few weeks now without issue. Just curious is my Auto-refill might have anything to do with this? It was set to refill 02/12/13 but my data disappeared yesterday.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread