Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,664 Members 42,904 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] GS3 with T-Mobile Advantage?

Tip us?

Lizzy345
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] GS3 with T-Mobile Advantage?

I am planning on switching to T-Mobile and I did some research to try and find the best deal possible since I am going to get into a new 2 year contract. I am a college student attending the University of Ohio and my university doesn't have a direct relationship with the school. I found a discount via the T-Mobile Advantage program and I attached the flyer here.

You get
A $50 account credit with a new activation (expires on 12/31)
Waived activation fees
10% discount

You have to call CS to activate I am not sure whether you can do it online. There is a promo code in the flyer which you have to mention. That discount is also affiliated with the student discount website Student rate. I am not sure whether you actually have to be a student or not.

Has anyone used this discount before??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmoadvantage.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	1596024  

daxecutioner24
Old
Thanks Meter 110
Well with everything make sure you read the fine print, always little things to reduced the discounts you're getting. You sure you want tmobile they are not definitely not the best company in terms of customer service and business model. Anywho you should definitely check out best buy, they usually have really good deals on phone.
Right now they have the s3 for 179.99 way cheaper than what you would get it at tmobile around 300 or so. Make sure you call them because for some reason tmobile doesn't allow in store pickup(****ty business model). Also I don't know how all that works when you starting off, I was just upgrading good luck.
Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

Pennycake
Old
Thanks Meter 160
Examine if you really need to enter a 2-year contract.

Look at the Montly 4G plans. What are your needs - how many minutes and how much data do you need ?

I went with the 100minute/unlimited texting/5Gb plan for $30/mo. Even buying the phone up-front I'm saving a great deal over locking myself into a contract - a contract that wouldn't even give me what I actually wanted.

I made the mistake of going contract with Sprint on my first phone off of my family's the family plan. Overpaid for service I barely used. I don't see myself going back to contract plans - you overpay in the long-run - much more than if you just bought the phone and then paid a lower rate for the service instead of the hidden fee of paying them back for that "free" or "reduced cost" phone.

For instance, if I went with Verizon and paid $80/mo for their cheapest smartphone plan, that's $1200 more over two years than I'm paying now. Take away the $450 I spent on the phone - that's still $750. I could literally buy a brand new phone with THAT, even and two great-condition used ones. Maybe I'm a cynical jerk, but carrier subsidising is just a way to trick you into paying more money.
Sent from my HAF 912 i5-3450 HD 6870 using Google Chrome

daxecutioner24
Old
Thanks Meter 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennycake View Post

Look at the Montly 4G plans. What are your needs - how many minutes and how much data do you need ?

I went with the 100minute/unlimited texting/5Gb plan for $30/mo. Even buying the phone up-front I'm saving a great deal over locking myself into a contract - a contract that wouldn't even give me what I actually wanted.

I made the mistake of going contract with Sprint on my first phone off of my family's the family plan. Overpaid for service I barely used. I don't see myself going back to contract plans - you overpay in the long-run - much more than if you just bought the phone and then paid a lower rate for the service instead of the hidden fee of paying them back for that "free" or "reduced cost" phone.

For instance, if I went with Verizon and paid $80/mo for their cheapest smartphone plan, that's $1200 more over two years than I'm paying now. Take away the $450 I spent on the phone - that's still $750. I could literally buy a brand new phone with THAT, even and two great-condition used ones. Maybe I'm a cynical jerk, but carrier subsidising is just a way to trick you into paying more money.
It really is for most cases. Just some people like to aim high and go for an s3 and not everyone has 700 upfront to pay a company. While you end up paying more in a contract most people get paid every 2 to 4 weeks and are satisfied paying a fee monthly and two years is not very long. After the two years you can always take that phone you bought and get into those no contact based companies like metro etc.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

MissyThinks
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Is this whole offer expired? Or just the $50 credit offer?

ktetreault14
Old
Thanks Meter 1,100

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennycake View Post

How exactly do you get on the $30 unlimited plan with 100 talk minutes if you are already on T-Mobile prepaid.. I checked in the area on my T-Mobile to change the plan and it doesn't show up in there?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Tricksie
Old
Thanks Meter 3
It looks like the $50 has expired but discount is still valid

MissyThinks
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Actually, this offer seems to be back on back on until 02/28 - $50 credit + 10% discount + waived activation fees. They also have some pretty good sales on handsets
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bannertmo.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1709528  

MntClmr
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Samsung Galaxy SIII is free right now until the 18th of feb, i think actually almost all tmo devices are free

eliasadrian
Old
Thanks Meter 110
Default Re: [Q] GS3 with T-Mobile Advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntClmr View Post
Samsung Galaxy SIII is free right now until the 18th of feb, i think actually almost all tmo devices are free
Is this just new accounts and contracts through calling customer service? I got the s3 for free after tons of issues with my amaze, and now my wife is super jealous and wants one, haha.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2