Nexus 7 3G - is my rear microphone bust?

OP leoni1980

10th January 2013, 09:45 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 53

1,249 posts
More
I moved from an iPad to the N7. When I first got it I accidentally and absent-mindedly pushed the SIM opener into the rather stupidly-placed rear mic hole (which is the same size as the tray opener hole) because I'm used to the removal hole being at the side of the tray and was rushing to get it up and running :P

I can't seem to get it to record anything, so can I assume that I've bust it or does it only kick in under certain conditions or in certain apps? I've tried downloading different voice recording apps but even the ones that allow you to switch mics don't seem to actually switch on the N7 - they just seem to use the mic on the top-right of the device.

Can someone on here test their mics and let me know if it records on both? I know that if I push my finger over the main mic I just get some ambient muffled sound (probably just being picked up by the covered mic).

I don't know how resistant the mic is to having a SIM opening tool pushed quite hard into it, stupid as I feel, I'm sure I'm not the only person to have made this mistake!

Thanks
13th February 2013, 11:45 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 17

116 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoni1980

I moved from an iPad to the N7. When I first got it I accidentally and absent-mindedly pushed the SIM opener into the rather stupidly-placed rear mic hole (which is the same size as the tray opener hole) because I'm used to the removal hole being at the side of the tray and was rushing to get it up and running :P

I can't seem to get it to record anything, so can I assume that I've bust it or does it only kick in under certain conditions or in certain apps? I've tried downloading different voice recording apps but even the ones that allow you to switch mics don't seem to actually switch on the N7 - they just seem to use the mic on the top-right of the device.

Can someone on here test their mics and let me know if it records on both? I know that if I push my finger over the main mic I just get some ambient muffled sound (probably just being picked up by the covered mic).

I don't know how resistant the mic is to having a SIM opening tool pushed quite hard into it, stupid as I feel, I'm sure I'm not the only person to have made this mistake!

Thanks

I have not made the same mistake as you but my mic is not working either. Is working only the mic that is in the power button, but not the one on the Sim card tray...

Can any confirm that is a real mic and itīs working?

Thanks!
25th February 2013, 04:13 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 4

87 posts
Mine too... not that loud compared to the main mic in power button.
4th March 2013, 10:24 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 17

116 posts
Confirmed that the microphone is working only when the Nexus is on landscape mode.

I sent an RMA to Google thinking that the unit was faulty and then I came with the solution by myself. What a lack of knowledge of their own product!!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread